Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
New York
I just felt the need to try to balance out the ratio of "my rig is a lemon" threads with something positive. :) Just a short and free-verse review of my past three days with my Macbook.

Purchased the 2.4Ghz model...

I purchased my Macbook at the Walden Galleria in Buffalo NY on Friday October 24th and LOVE it. It is perfect. Not a single dead pixel or speck of dust in sight. Screen is marvelously clear and crisp. Casing is perfect (not that I have really inspected it, who cares-- I am concerned with my electronic life on the screen, haha).

The backlit keyboard is the best idea ever to be added to a laptop-- EVER. I know it has been on the MBP forever, but 15+ inch screens on a laptop is the WORST idea ever. haha.

The trackpad is a little odd to use at first, but after only 3 days of use I can't imagine using anything else. That is not an Apple fanboy gushing statement... That is from the viewpoint of usability... It just works-- perfectly. Clicking it easy, sometimes I tap-to-click, sometimes I click for real. two-finger click/tap-to-click as right button is awesome, flawless.

Plastic cased laptops are for suckers. I don't think I will ever purchase one again (unless Apple runs out of aluminum and makes their next gen lappys with plastic again, haha).

Black-on-silver scheme is very "pro" and high-end feeling. I LOVE that the black continues to the entire hinge. Just a great look for the top half of the MB.

The screen is SO THIN, yet feels 10x stronger than that of my Blackbook. The WHOLE body does. I can pick the system up with one hand at onecorner and not even feel a hint of flexing. Screen brightness is INSANE, the colors are perfect, white whites, black blacks.

:D
-mousouchop

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Well at least there is one satisfied customer.... :rolleyes:

Just kidding.. My Alu Macbook is also perfect.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
It seems like everyone is getting the 2.4 model but congrats on the new machine and I hope it serves you well.

ChrisN

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
New York
It seems like everyone is getting the 2.4 model but congrats on the new machine and I hope it serves you well.

ChrisN

Haha yeah, I had the 2.0Ghz Blackbook, so that would have been a pretty lateral upgrade if I got the low-end. Plus, it is all about the backlit keyboard. ;D

I am sure I will get a couple good years from this little guy.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Add me to the list of satisfied customers. I got the 2.4 model and love it! Best notebook I've ever had. I love the strong solid feel of the casing and coming from an old Powerbook G4 which had dull screen brightness I can now finally turn down the brightness on the Macbook because it's extremely bright. :). It's incredibly fast. It's faster than my 2.8 Ghz iMac.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I have the 2 GHz and I am also happy with the glassbook. I love the trackpad and when I use my wife's I have a hard time with her trackpad now lol

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
I am extremely satisfied with the new MacBooks. The thing that turned me off on the old MacBooks was the plastic enclosure. Reading about all the problems with the enclosure made me want to wait for aluminum ones. I also didn't want to go for the Air or Pro, so after about 5 months of waiting, I thought it was totally worth the wait.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
New York
I am extremely satisfied with the new MacBooks. The thing that turned me off on the old MacBooks was the plastic enclosure. Reading about all the problems with the enclosure made me want to wait for aluminum ones. I also didn't want to go for the Air or Pro, so after about 5 months of waiting, I thought it was totally worth the wait.

Yeah, my $2,000 Blackbook feels like a cheap toy compared to my new Macbook. Haha, kinda sad. XD

daveybe

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2004
Purchased the 2.4Ghz model...
I purchased my Macbook at the Walden Galleria in Buffalo NY on Friday October 24th and LOVE it.

Nice to see positive feedback. I bought the same model, but from a reseller in West Seneca rather than the Buffalo store. Will probably hit the Galleria for a Mini DisplayPort adapter, though.

Are you all getting Iworks added or something else?

Yah, going with iWorks. Never liked the interface of the MS Office (even though it's tempting to save $$ and try to install the OpenOffice suite). Had still been running Appleworks until now (yup, it is SO time for an upgrade). Going to have to do a lot of file conversions, i expect.

Enjoy!

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
New York
Nice to see positive feedback. I bought the same model, but from a reseller in West Seneca rather than the Buffalo store. Will probably hit the Galleria for a Mini DisplayPort adapter, though.

Yah, going with iWorks. Never liked the interface of the MS Office (even though it's tempting to save $$ and try to install the OpenOffice suite). Had still been running Appleworks until now (yup, it is SO time for an upgrade). Going to have to do a lot of file conversions, i expect.

Enjoy!

Hahaha. My grandma still runs Appleworks on her Late 07 iMac running Leopard. She thought that the recently opened docs window in Appleworks was the Finder. "Where are your files grandma, where do you keep your documents?!" "...Right here *launches Appleworks*" *palm-forehead*

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Why don't you stick in a movie that has a fair amount of dark scenes and come back and tell us what you think.

I agree with you that this is the best MB ever, although you couldn't do it without sounding mildly silly. However, the screen may be bright and brilliant but the issues with negative blacks and having to sit in one specific position 100% of the time to watch a movie that has a lot of dark scenes is totally unacceptable to me.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Why don't you stick in a movie that has a fair amount of dark scenes and come back and tell us what you think.

I agree with you that this is the best MB ever, although you couldn't do it without sounding mildly silly. However, the screen may be bright and brilliant but the issues with negative blacks and having to sit in one specific position 100% of the time to watch a movie that has a lot of dark scenes is totally unacceptable to me.

What she said..;)

Everything else on my machine is great. Absolutely no complaints except that ultra narrow screen angle with blacks and darks.

OP, by chance is your display a 9C8C??

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
New York
I got the 2.4ghz model too, and i love it.

Yeah, I also bought the see through zCover skin for my keyboard. My Blackbook had TONS of dog hair under the keyboard, I am never letting that happen again. x.x

Protecting this baby from the second it left the box. haha.

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Loving my 2.4 alu Macbook.. and I'm hard to please. And yes I do miss my 15" led backlit matte MBP screen.

gnikcjack

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008

A lot of us don't watch movies with fluorescent lighting on. I watched Saw last night and it looked phenomenal on my 2.0 MB, so I can't say I agree with you. People on here tend to make mountains out of mole hills, just let the guy enjoy his computer. Jesus...

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
I also have a 2.0 Glassbook. So far mostly good. I'll post up a review after a little more hands on time with my new notebook.

It is a nice notebook and looks really sleek too. My build qaulity is excellent, so I don't know if other people are OCD, there was a loser batch or its really insignificant.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
New York
A lot of us don't watch movies with fluorescent lighting on. I watched Saw last night and it looked phenomenal on my 2.0 MB, so I can't say I agree with you. People on here tend to make mountains out of mole hills, just let the guy enjoy his computer. Jesus...

haha. True about the mountain out of mole hill thing. I have been known to do that in the past, but I just love this product. Also, I tend to use my system with the screen more closed that open because I lay with it a lot, so I don't really see the polarization that most are barking about.

Whatever, I am thrilled with the product. boop. :D

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ

ChrisN

nah, i got the 2.0ghz as well. its actually a downgrade for me because i had a 2.4ghz whitebook. but i justified it will all the new features on this one...

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Never liked the interface of the MS Office (even though it's tempting to save $$ and try to install the OpenOffice suite).

I run both Ms Office and OpenOffice 3 - and I have to say - I like OpenOffice. I'm just glad I got the MS version dirt cheap on educational discount.

OpenOffice is worth a download of only 136mb and is has more software included.

ps - glad OP loves new MB - congrats

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
Yeah, my $2,000 Blackbook feels like a cheap toy compared to my new Macbook. Haha, kinda sad. XD

Haha, I feel the same. The wife now uses the blackbook. After using my new MB, the blackbook just seems so old.

2.4 here, and DITTO on the backlit keyboard and amay-zing trackpad!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.