Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Blimey, everyone's really getting excited about today's unveiling of Lion. Whether folk are delighted with Apple's new offering, bemoaning 'iOS features' seeping onto the Mac platform or just generally unhappy because it's not downloading right, it seems like everyone has an opinion on the shiny new OS.

Personally though, there's only one Lion I've eagerly spent the summer waiting to make its appearance – and that's the iPod-trampling mascot of the MacRumors Fantasy Football League!

attachment.jpg

The League is back for its fifth season, along with it's knock-out sister competition the MacRumors Fantasy Cup. Last season it was my very own Sporting Dual-Cores who somehow conspired to pull off an unprecedented League and Cup double – however, I'm in no doubt that I'll need to keep my wits about me as I seek to defend my titles against our finest managerial MacRumormongers.

Our competitions are played played using the official Barclays Premier League game, you can read up on the rules and register on their site here. I'll be casting a close eye over the rules and if there are any changes from last year I'll list them in a separate post later so that everyone's aware

Our first competition is the MacRumors Fantasy League itself. A traditional fantasy league, you pick your team of players who then earn (or lose) you points depending on their real-life performances. The Manager whose team has the most points at the end of the season lifts the trophy. Easy as that and twice as simple.

Our second bit of silverware is the MacRumors Fantasy Cup, which is played as a 'head-to-head' competition.

It works like this – each week you're randomly picked against another MacRumormonger, and your two teams go head-to-head, as it were – essentially, you're trying to outscore your opponent that week. Whichever team scores the most fantasy points wins, and gets three league points – the loser gets no league points and if it's a draw you get one each. This happens every week – until Gameweek 36 (currently scheduled for 28 April 2012), when the knockout phase begins! The top eight ranked teams in the MacRumors Fantasy Cup qualify and are drawn against each other in a knock out competition which takes place over the final three Gameweeks. Come the final week only two teams will be left standing, and whoever wins that final tie lifts the trophy.

You're free to enter one or both of the competitions, it's up to you – but why not both? You know it makes sense. ;)

I'm eager to take part! How do I sign up?
Simply visit the Official Premier League Fantasy Football Site and register – it's totally free to do so. If you played in the League last year then you should be automatically entered into the MacRumors League as soon as you create your team – if you'd like to enter the cup though you'll need a code from me.

If you're new to this – or a previous manager wanting the code for the Cup – then just drop me a PM and I'll send you back the codes you need to join the MacRumours Leagues – if you could tell me your team name in the PM that would be useful too! I post updates league tables as the season progresses, and by posting usernames rather than real names we can protect folk's privacy a bit.

Why PM? Why not just post the codes here?
I'm aiming to keep it a private league for actual MacRumors members and the odd 'guest' as far as possible, not those folk who trawl forums looking for league codes to join.

Wah! I picked a player in my team but now he's injured/been transferred/I've realised he's not really that good! Can I change him?
Fret not – you're free to pick your team and change players as many times as you like without penalty before the first deadline on 18 August, so don't fret about not being able to change your side to take advantage of real-life transfers or pre-season injuries.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask them here in this thread and I'll answer them the best I can – all that remains is for me to wish everyone the best of luck for this season's competition. :cool:

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I'll be casting a close eye over the rules and if there are any changes from last year I'll list them in a separate post later so that everyone's aware
Is it true you might get bonus points if your players are revealed on Twitter to have placed a gagging order this season? ;)

Last edited:

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Didn't we just finish?!?! :D

If you're on the fence about joining the league, just hop onboard. Last year was my rookie campaign and while the competition is fierce, the competitors couldn't be more friendly. I had so much fun, I'm back for more (punishment).

The Stoplights will be back and better than ever this year. I've now a year's experience as GM and have "boots on the ground" this go round. My brother had recently moved to London and will serve as my Assistant GM. He can keep an eye on the Saturday morning games while I'm still asleep!

Looking forward to another great year and would like to wish Mr. Cakes enjoy his season as defending champion because there will not be a repeat! :p

Good luck everyone and Viva la Stoplights!

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Vice Captain, free kick assist, and bonus points are now In The Game rather than In The Pub. There may be more.
Yep, the main changes I've spotted...

Vice Captains
Those who have played before will know that each week we choose one of our players as captain, this individual has his points tally for the week doubled.

A season or two back though, a new rule was introduced – vice captains. If our elected captain didn't play for any reason, another individual was given the armband – the only choice we had in who this vice captain was though was that we could either chose the player with the highest cash value, or the one with the best form.

From this season though, we can actually nominate a vice captain. Should your first choice skipper not play, your vice captain fulfils that role instead and receives double points. Should your vice captain not play either, the bonus opportunity is lost.

Assists
One important change to the assists rule. As in previous seasons, the player who has the final touch to set up a team mate to score earns an assist score of 3 points. Assist points were also given to a player who won a penalty that was successfully converted (unless said player stepped up to take the penalty himself).

However, players who won a free kick that resulted in a goal didn't receive an assist – until now. From this season, if a player wins a free kick that results in a goal being directly scored he'll get a 3 point bonus too (unless, like with penalties, he wins the free kick and then takes it himself).

Bonus Points
The best performing players in each match are, as previously, awarded bonus points – the best player gets 3, the next best 2, and the third best a single point. Prior to this season these were allocated according to an arcane and secret formula based on OPTA stats and the phases of the moon. Or something.

Now though, we have the grandly titled 'EA SPORTS Player Performance Index' that's going to rank our stars and dole out bonus points accordingly. The points are as before, but...

If there is a tie for first place, Players 1 & 2 will receive 3 points each and Player 3 will receive 1 point.
If there is a tie for second place, Player 1 will receive 3 points and Players 2 and 3 will receive 2 points each.
If there is a tie for third place, Player 1 will receive 3 points, Player 2 will receive 2 points and Players 3 & 4 will receive 1 point each.

So there we go.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I'm ready for this season! I started last season with a 3 week handicap.... Not that that's an excuse for my miserable performance! But after that trial run, I'm ready to work hard to get closer to the title this time! Might have to get used to the new site layout first though... Bring it on.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
I think the embarrassment of coming last might be putting off a few potential candidates so fret not I'll throw in the Renfrew Meerkats for another season, who somehow avoided relegation last year due to some technicality (an iTunes voucher sent to Sepp).

This year my team will go from being the Glipton Grasshoppers to Jossy's Giants.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Fifteen teams confirmed, with another couple of folk who have requested codes but haven't as of yet taken the plunge. The Fantasy season starts a week this Saturday, by the way.

If anyone's reading this and hasn't signed up but wants to, you know what to do. Unless you don't know of course, in which case it's PM me for the codes.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I'll give it a go. However I got annoyed by the constant transfers so in the past few years I have set up my team like a real football team. Transfers only in the transfer window.

I also got annoyed with the uselessness of defensive midfielders in regards to points but I try and put together a team that would actually win matches rather than gain points.

So all in all, Fuzzy14 I'll give you a good battle for last place. :D

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Im in. Just creating a team. You guy's better watch out for the 'Thigh High Socks'

Please can you send me the codes Jaffa?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Im in. Just creating a team. You guy's better watch out for the 'Thigh High Socks'

Please can you send me the codes Jaffa?
Hmm. Just as long as you're not going to follow the recent football fashion of wearing your socks over the knees, I'll send the codes. That look is acceptable on Japanese schoolgirls, but not footballers.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
A couple of reminders – first, the Premier League kicks off this weekend so if you've not yet signed up and fancy giving it a bash time is short! PM me if you need those all important codes.

Secondly, for those who have taken the plunge our first deadline is 11.30am GMT this Saturday. At the moment we can swap players around as much as we like, but after the deadline our teams will be locked and changes can only be made using transfers or your wildcard – as such, please make sure you have the players you want ready for the season's start. So if anyone has Cesc Fabregas in their line up (and 0.7% of those taking part currently do), now might be the time to take him out your side. :p

Pleasingly, we've surpassed last year's numbers and currently have 21 teams signed up for 2011/12. Still plenty of room for a few more, mind. ;)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Bushey Fighters will be making a last minute appearance, wouldn't want anyone to steal my excellent team suggestion, or kit design.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Could be a riot if the log in remains kaput. Reports of strange goings-on by those trapped on the inside.

Cheers,
OW
Sprucing the site up with fancy graphics and what not is all well and good, but not if the site falls over under the strain.

Hmm.

EDIT: After going down yesterday evening, it now looks like the Premier League site is back up and running. Let's hope it stays that way!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.