12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro' Again Rumored to Have Oxide LCD Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 5, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple's much-rumored 12.9-inch "iPad Pro" could have Oxide LCD display technology and will enter mass production in the third quarter of 2015, according to DigiTimes. The report, citing sources within the supply chain, claims that Apple has elected to use oxide panels for the tablet after weighing the cost versus performance of display technologies a-Si, TFT LCD and Oxide LCD.
    The report adds that Sharp, LG Display and Samsung Display have been sending Apple display samples as they compete to secure component orders for the iPad Pro. Sharp is expected to be the main supplier due to its advantages in Oxide LCD display production, with LG also in the running to be a secondary vendor. The panel suppliers will reportedly produce limited supply in May and begin mass production in July and August.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a respectable track record at reporting on Apple's upcoming product plans, also forecasted in November that the iPad Pro would be equipped with an oxide panel for "high resolution, quick response, and high color saturation," with manufacturing difficulties pushing mass production of the tablet into the second quarter of 2015.

Oxide LCD technologies, one of the most popular being "IGZO," have been used since the original iPad Air and allow for thinner and more power efficient displays. Expected to have a large 12.9-inch screen, it would make sense for the iPad Pro to have an Oxide LCD display to ensure that the extra screen real estate is not a drain on battery life.

Bloomberg Business reported late Wednesday that Apple missed the mark on second quarter production of the iPad Pro and that manufacturing of the tablet is now slated to begin around September. The larger-screened tablet, rumored to potentially have USB 3.0 ports for faster data transfer, could help Apple reverse four quarters of declining iPad sales as overall tablet market growth has slowed.

Article Link: 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro' Again Rumored to Have Oxide LCD Display

2. DavidTheExpert macrumors regular

Ok, what the hell is Oxide LCD? What type of LCD do the iPads use now? And what are its advantages?

3. AppleInTheMud macrumors 6502

AppleInTheMud

This rumors about the iPad Pro are getting dumb.

Do
    . ?? "iPad Pro will be released at the next event.
    . Wait till next day
    . ?? "iPad Pro will be delayed"
    . Wait till next day
    . ?? "iPad Pro unlikely"
    . Wait till next day
    Loop

4. Mansu944 macrumors 6502

Your question mirrors mine. Why is this the first time I've heard of this technology?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From the context of the news story, it seems that perhaps Oxide LCD display panels are less expensive, does that mean lower image quality or pixel depth?

6. 0xyMoron macrumors 6502

This rumor came out in mid 2014 about the iPad Air.

7. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

I don't get 13" iPad unless it capable of doing both IOS and OS X.

I won't buy another iPad just because it's 13" with the same apps.

I must be missing something.

8. goodcow macrumors 6502a

It'll be the technology that best protects Apple's profit margins.

9. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

Good because I sure as hell didn't want to buy...just a bigger iPad 9.7". They need features like this to set it apart from the rest of the iPads.

10. Jsameds macrumors 68040

I'm just sat here hoping they don't deliberately hold back features for the regular iPad line just to make the iPad Pro look better in comparison.

11. The Barron, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015

The Barron macrumors 6502

Here's the answer.

Oxide LCD technology, also referred to as “IGZO,” boasts a higher electron mobility than traditional LCD panels. In a nutshell, that means they are faster and more power efficient than the LCD displays Apple currently uses in its iPad lineup.

Power efficient components will be essential for a 12.9-inch iPad Pro — which will obviously require more power than its smaller siblings during normal use — if Apple intends to keep the device as slim as the iPad Air 2 and not introduce a thicker battery.

12. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

I'm more interested in the resolution, 12.9" would surely best be widescreen preferably 16:9 so would be bigger and wider than current 2048 x 1536 res. I believe what Kuo is saying, so we will have bigger ipad and hopefully software than can take full advantage of that bigger display *hint2* split screen multitasking...

13. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

14. neilw macrumors regular

Honestly, if the iPad Pro doesn't some kind of split-screen multitasking kind of thing (whatever implementation Apple comes up with) then I don't see the point.

Other than size, 3 most obvious distinguishing features would be:
    1) split screen multitasking (though why they couldn't add this to the regular iPads I have no idea)
    2) digitizer/stylus support
    3) ports

Of course they could pull something else out of their hats. It will be interesting to see how they position this, since all of the above items would be a significant departure from past iPad philosophy.

15. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

What feature? This is IGZO. This rumor is just recycled from last year replacing the iPad with the iPad Pro. The tech is not new and has been in production by Sharp for a while now.

From July of 2014: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...oxide-lcd-displays-for-next-gen-ipad-air.html

16. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

The screen is the iPad's main selling point IMO, so Apple should keep putting the best screen they can on it. Increasing the size alone won't cut it.

17. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

So the iPad Pro will have IGZO and the iPhone 6S will move to OLED to integrate Force Touch?

18. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Thanks for actually making an informational post. The Google Police have supplanted the Grammar Police as the annoying scourge of Internet forums everywhere...

Your first paragraph might have been a more relevant part of the MR article than just the simple recap of the USB and timeline rumors they put in there again.

19. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

So let me get all these rumors straight. I've been saying for the past year that the iPad Pro and MacBook Air Retina are likely the same device. Or at least they will merge at some point in the next few years. So again, let me get this straight…

Redesigned MacBook
    12" retina display
    Very energy efficient fanless design
    Reduced ports, perhaps new smaller reversible USB
    No magsafe
    Comes in silver, space gray and gold color options
    Will have multitasking

iPad Pro
    12" retina display
    Very energy efficient fanless design
    Single USB port
    No magsafe
    Comes in silver, space gray and gold color options
    "Rumors of multitasking"

Here's the deal. Apple could make two separate product lines and merge them at some point in the future. But Apple's M.O. is usually to only put out products that they feel are ready and stick with that vision for them. What is the point of putting out two different products that are fairly similar, only to combine them later? Usually Apple will decide to not release something, or to release it when they feel they can do something different with it. Could Apple have released a Surface type device? Sure. But Apple waits until they feel they can make the experience incredible.

20. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

I really hope that the iPad Pro is a 16:9 display as well. The Samsung Galaxy 12.2" tablet seems like a great size to me, so if the iPad Pro was sized similarly I would definitely be picking it up.

Also, if they made it 16:9 isn't there a chance they could use the same screen in both an iPad Pro and Macbook Air (not saying a convertible device, but using the same screen inside different housings for each seperate product).

I have held off upgrading my 3rd Gen Verizon iPad because of these rumors (I did upgrade my wife to the iPad Air 2 since she likes it size).

21. sound macrumors member

sound

22. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

I have updated the front page article with more context about Oxide LCD displays and their advantages.

23. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Yeah I think I'm going to not read any rumors till the event. Less chance of being disappointed.

24. Nickerbocker macrumors regular

From the article: "high resolution, quick response, and high color saturation,"

In other words: more betterer.

25. Siretman macrumors member

What about just a larger size to display websites or allow current apps to have more room for their controls?
    You only have to look at the iPhone 6Plus and see that a larger screen was a big hit with a lot of people, including me.

I have an iPad Air 2 but I will get the iPad Air Pro or Plus, in order to see more on my screen. The new iPad does not need to run Mac OSX for it to be a great success.