Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro is set to launch in the second half of May, orders placed today are estimated for delivery as late as mid-July on Apple's online store in the United States — some two months later. The new 11-inch iPad Pro is faring better so far, with some configurations available for delivery in the last week of May.

iPad-Pro-July-Shipping.jpg

The new 12.9-inch iPad Pro features a Liquid Retina XDR Display with mini-LED backlighting, providing higher brightness and improved contrast ratio, but Apple suppliers have reportedly faced yield issues producing the display. The consumer electronics industry is also facing a global chip shortage that is expected to last into 2022, and this could be having an impact on iPad Pro shipping estimates to some extent.

The new iPad Pro was announced at Apple's Spring Loaded event on April 20, so the fact that some customers might not get the device into their hands until mid-July underscores the issues that Apple is facing with supply.

The new iMac is also facing delivery estimates of mid-to-late June for many configurations in the United States, and even a four pack of AirTags won't arrive until mid-June.

Article Link: 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Now Delivers as Late as Mid-July

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Freida, you're right too, some of it is probably the component squeeze, but the numbers of folks talking of getting one here was way bigger than the last update. Read an article on CNBC where the analyst was basically saying you get a super upgrade event occasionally for devices and Apple got one with the iPhone 12 and was expecting the same with this iPad and the iMac 24 - if they can only make enough. LOL

Who cares? I already ordered my 2TB Cellular 12.9 inch model!!! delivers May 2st
I care. Nice that you're getting yours but I love to know how demand is going for Apple's devices. Goes along with the rumors thing.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Chip shortages are likely to constrain the production of computers, cars, and everything else with a lot of electronics. Ford has large storage yards with partially completed vehicles awaiting components.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I was lucky enough to get my order in with a date range of May 21-28. However, it kept popping out of the cart when I went to purchase, so I switched from Space Gray to Silver. After I got that order in, the Space Gray was shown as being available ?
I added the model I want as favorite first so I could just add it to the cart again and again until I could check out ? I got the same 21-28 May shipping estimate finally.

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Does anybody know if Best Buy ships from the same place (directly from China?) as Apple for these release-day products like the iPad Pro?

cmason

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Toronto
Glad I ordered at 8am. I am still using an original 2015 iPad Pro, and it's getting old. To be honest, I don't really need an iPad Pro, I just want the bigger size. Wish they had an iPad Air in a 13" version. But I expect to keep this for 6 years or more, so I suppose it's money well-spent. Just got the 256 with cellular, no need to go nuts. Pricing gets crazy with larger storage.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I wish I had that one instead of a crappy Microsoft Surface.(Job)
I almost got myself Surface Laptop 4 if there wasn't for the Keynote.?
Now I'll have iPP 12.9 with Logitech Combo Touch that will look like one, but actually stay usable five years on.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Quite interestingly, even the 2TB model has been pushed back alot. They are selling quite well.

Reactions: SFjohn

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I can only assume Apple makes more profit on the base models. Anything over base, early on, and delivery goes from tomorrow to "Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon....".

Base models are more popular, and so need to be in stock as much as possible, but the higher end ones are always fatter margins. I mean, there’s no way their BOM is increasing as much as the price is as you add on more storage/cellular.

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
I added the model I want as favorite first so I could just add it to the cart again and again until I could check out ? I got the same 21-28 May shipping estimate finally.
Since I mostly use the device for work-related stuff, I was going through the Education Site. I had favorited the model, but I didn't think to go back like that because I was so panicking trying to get it to go through o_O The color doesn't matter too much since it's always in a case, but still a little annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.