Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Pro with Mini-LED display will launch in the first quarter of 2021, according to a new report from DigiTimes. The report claims that Apple has diversified its supply chain for displays and touch panels, with BOE finally gaining approval to supply OLED panels for the iPhone and GIS moving to provide touch panels for both the iPhone and the upcoming iPad Pro.

iPad-Pro-Mini-LED.jpg
GIS approved investments of NT$2.198 billion (US$76.3 million) and NT$1.421 billion proposed by its subsidiary in Chengdu, China in August and November 2020 respectively, with the funds to focus on expanding production capacity for integrated touch modules used in tablets, the sources said. The subsidiary will invest another NT$753 million to improve production line automation. The subsidiary currently produces integrated touch modules for iPads and MacBooks, the sources said.

Besides iPhones, GIS will produce integrated touch modules for miniLED-backlit panels of 12.9-inch iPad Pro to be launched in first-quarter 2021, the sources noted.
Apple has been rumored for some time to be preparing a 12.9-inch iPad Pro with a Mini-LED display, which will offer a number of improvements over current iPad displays, including darker blacks, brighter brights, richer colors, and better contrast. Using thousands of individual LEDs to light the display, the technology should deliver many of the benefits offered by OLED displays but without some of the drawbacks of that technology.

Previous reports, including from noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, have indicated that the Mini-LED iPad Pro will launch sometime in the first half of 2021, but today's report from DigiTimes indicates that the debut is expected in the early part of that timeframe.

Looking beyond the next-generation iPad Pro, there have been a couple of reports claiming that Apple is looking to transition the line to OLED display technology, although it seems unlikely for Apple to only briefly shift to Mini-LED before transitioning again to OLED. One rumor claimed the OLED iPad Pro will launch in the second half of 2021, but a more recent report claims the change is unlikely to happen until 2022 at the earliest.

Article Link: 12.9-Inch iPad Pro With Mini-LED Display Rumored to Launch in First Quarter of 2021

Reactions: Stan Zbormac

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Mini LED is a good way to avoid the bad publicity of having all their demo unit iPads showing images burned into them. Not a good look. The thing I thing of when I think iPad Pro is at $999 for the big one the specs it has are so close to a MacBook I wish they would just put MacOS on these things. You'll end up spending a bit more to get laptop functionality or desktop functionality with the peripherals you would need but I would be happy to do so because you don't need an iPad, Laptop, and desktop. It will be redundant for many tasks. I would be much happier with an iPad as my computer I take with me everywhere and an iMac or MacBook Pro that I sit in front of when I want to do some serious work.

cmaier

macrumors Penryn
Jul 25, 2007
California
If it’s the same display tech that they put in their pro XDR display, then count me in. Otherwise I’ll wait for OLED.

Since apple seems unwilling or unable to do an OLED ipad, this will be a nice improvement. I watch a lot of movies on my ipad, and the improved dynamic range will be welcome. But once you notice the miniLED halos, it’s hard to unsee them.

innovationwho

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2020
I’ve never owned an iPad until the new 10.9” iPad Air. I will say that the pressure of my Apple Pencil and sometimes when I tap on the display, the liquid in the LCD moves and it’s rather annoying. I understand the color accuracy of LCD’s are flawless but I rather have a display that doesn’t “move” when I use it.

transpo1

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Still another rumor that doesn’t mention the 11” Pro, which makes me suspicious. Will they pull another separate launch of 12.9” model (like they did for the 1st gen) and then launch the 11” Pro with mini-LED in the fall? Curious about this. The 11” Pro is far too popular to drop.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Still another rumor that doesn’t mention the 11” Pro, which makes me suspicious. Will they pull another separate launch of 12.9” model (like they did for the 1st gen) and then launch the 11” Pro with mini-LED in the fall? Curious about this. The 11” Pro is far too popular to drop.
Unless this sits above the current line.

I could see them updating the current 11” and 12.9” iPad Pro with 5G, the A14X chip, and any other miscellaneous improvements and then having an even higher end 13 inch iPad Pro with this technology.

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
I’d assume Mini LED can be dimmed without using PWM, which causes headaches for a lot of users.
Why would you assume that? PWM is the standard way to dim just about my LED— mini, O, etc... Is there an indication that they’re doing something different here?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Why would you assume that? PWM is the standard way to dim just about my LED— mini, O, etc... Is there an indication that they’re doing something different here?
Mini LED uses around a thousand individual LED’s, so in theory they should be individually dimmable by voltage rather than PWM.

PWM can be used to dim LCD displays as well; however, it’s a cost-saving alternative to a voltage-based brightness controller.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Why? Mini LED is worse in most ways than OLED. What would be the point?

So some users buy the Mini LED version. Then, they realize some shortcomings. Then, Apple releases the OLED version claiming that it is better and have some shortcomings taken care of. Some of these users will buy the OLED version and on and on for Apple to earn more profits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.