Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
My 12.9" iPad Pro battery goes from 100% to 0% in 3 - 3.5 hours, is that normal?
If the battery level is 10% and I put iPad in charge and keep working on it the battery level slowly decreases to 5% and then I get the warning message "low battery". I have to stop working and wait for hour or so to get 30-40% battery level. And on external power it will slowly drain again when I start using the iPad.

My last iPad was iPad2 and I got easy 10 hours out of every single charge, and if the charge was low and I put it on external power the battery volume slowly got up. I contacted local Apple retailer and they said it was normal thing for iPad pro to have 3 hours of battery life and not keep up with external power connected. I find it hard to believe and want to hear from other iPad 12.9" Pro owners.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
No, that's definitely not normal. I usually get between 8-10 hours of use with my iPad Pro before having to charge it fully. What is your brightness set at? Is it also a cellular iPad? Are you playing a game or using a processor intensive app?

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
No, that's definitely not normal. I usually get between 8-10 hours of use with my iPad Pro before having to charge it fully. What is your brightness set at? Is it also a cellular iPad? Are you playing a game or using a processor intensive app?

This is 128GB Wi-Fi only iPad and brightness is set to 100%
I'm using original 12W power supply.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
That's the same unit I have and that's definitely not the battery life experience, although my brightness is at about 40%. That could be contributing to the massive decrease. The 12w charger it came with also isn't sufficient at charging it while you're using it, you may need to try the fast charger will make a huge difference (29w charger and usb-c to lightning cable).

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Go to setting then click on battery. It will show you which app is consuming too much power. Sometimes an app can get stuck active even though you are not using it. If there is such an app you can try two things. Double click the home button, swipe right to find the app then swipe up to stop it actively running.

If that app still consumes power then delete it and download it again.

If the problem is not a single app then try restarting the iPad.

If that doesn't help you'll have to visit an Apple Store. Might be a software issue. They have better tools to repar the iPad. They might what you to do a fresh install if the entire system. Or it might be a battery problem. Inside the first year I believe that will be fixed under warranty.

Good luck.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Thank you all for your replies.
If I understand you right you are basically saying that iPad pro can keep up charging with no brightness on screen and only if you are doing something light like edit text.
So Apple should have made stronger power adapter for this iPad.

You also talk about 29W charger and usb-c to lightning cable, are we talking about this:
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ262LL/A/apple-29w-usb-c-power-adapter
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MKQ42AM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-2-m

Reactions: Buck Mulligan

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Thank you all for your replies.
If I understand you right you are basically saying that iPad pro can keep up charging with no brightness on screen and only if you are doing something light like edit text.
So Apple should have made stronger power adapter for this iPad.

You also talk about 29W charger and usb-c to lightning cable, are we talking about this:
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ262LL/A/apple-29w-usb-c-power-adapter
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MKQ42AM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-2-m

That's exactly what we're referring to. Its the charger that will properly power and charge the 12.9' iPad Pro.

Reactions: 0111587

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
Yeah it's normal at that brightness levels. I kill my battery all the time in less than 4 hours. Get the better charger, it helps be get through the day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.