Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
Northern Germany
Hi there,

for some weeks, my son's iPad has been shown these two spots. Does anyone know, whether that could be a warranty case?

Martin

Attachments

• IMG_5484.jpeg
    IMG_5484.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 227

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi there,

for some weeks, my son's iPad has been shown these two spots. Does anyone know, whether that could be a warranty case?

Martin
That looks like pretty typical pressure damage rather than a defect. If you have AppleCare+ it might be covered under the accidental damage portion of that but it's unlikely to be covered for free. However, only Apple can actually answer this question so talk to them.

Reactions: makra

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
That looks like pressure damage and may not be covered by Apple with the standard warranty but it is always worth an ask at the local Apple Store or via their customer service online

Jitensha

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2019
I have the exact same bright and dark spots on the right side of my M1 iPad Pro 12.9 screen and it started in the same month. My iPad Pro has been in a hard case with a thick, Belkin glass screen proctor and there is no way it is related to pressure or physical damage. I suspect this is either an iPadOS issue or a component that is either failing as a result of the update -or- age. I should also point out it is an intermittent fault that sometimes disappears after restarting the iPad and only appears when certain apps are launched or media is played in Safari.

I specifically checked to see if there were other users with the same issue and your thread was already at the top of the forum confirming it is not unique to my iPad Pro. I am now using iPadOS 17 and the latest update may or may not have reduced the frequency of the spots appearing.

My intuition is that it is most likely a failing component in the M1 iPad Pro 12.9 that I hope won’t eventually show up in all M1 iPad Pro 12.9 units. And now I’m suspect about the reasons/motivations Apple might have added hover to the M2 and what else they changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: tshrimp

makra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
Northern Germany
I have the exact same bright and dark spots on the right side of my M1 iPad Pro 12.9 screen and it started in the same month. My iPad Pro has been in a hard case with a thick, Belkin glass screen proctor and there is no way it is related to pressure or physical damage. I suspect this is either an iPadOS issue or a component that is either failing as a result of the update -or- age. I should also point out it is an intermittent fault that sometimes disappears after restarting the iPad and only appears when certain apps are launched or media is played in Safari.

I specifically checked to see if there were other users with the same issue and your thread was already at the top of the forum confirming it is not unique to my iPad Pro. I am now using iPadOS 17 and the latest update may or may not have reduced the frequency of the spots appearing.

My intuition is that it is most likely a failing component in the M1 iPad Pro 12.9 that I hope won’t eventually show up in all M1 iPad Pro 12.9 units. And now I’m suspect about the reasons/motivations Apple might have added hover to the M2 and what else they changed.
That's interesting! If there's more of us, just let uns know.

Mc0

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2017
That looks like the same issue my brother had with his IPP M1. Does it go away when you put a light pressure on the display? It was an intermittent issue for him and we didn't know how to replicate it. It just happened randomly. We went to a nearest Apple store to get it checked because it was still within warranty. They performed their usual initial investigation and took the iPad for a replacement. He got his replacement unit after 2 weeks.

Reactions: makra and Jitensha

Jitensha

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2019
That looks like the same issue my brother had with his IPP M1. Does it go away when you put a light pressure on the display? It was an intermittent issue for him and we didn't know how to replicate it. It just happened randomly. We went to a nearest Apple store to get it checked because it was still within warranty. They performed their usual initial investigation and took the iPad for a replacement. He got his replacement unit after 2 weeks.
That’s precisely the issue. At the time, I preferred the 12.9 size but was weary of purchasing the first generation Mini LED iPad Pro displays from Apple due to the blooming— and now the display may very well be beginning to fail. I hope that it disappears with a software update.

smooth0906

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
I reported this back in November 2021. No one in this forum responded. :-(

Hi everyone. Today I noticed a small black dot on the left bottom in landscape mode of my 5th generation Ipad 12.9 Pro. I have an appointment with the Apple Store tomorrow afternoon. Please see the picture. Does anyone have an idea what that black dot/smudge is? I have cleaned the screen with a soft damp cloth, but it will not go away.

Update: I took my 5th generation 12.9 IPAD Pro to the Apple Store today. The Genius identified another spot at the top left of the screen. The spot was white. The Genius gave me a brand new 5th generation 12.9 IPAD Pro as a replacement. My previous IPAD Pro was only 4 months old. I only did light gaming and occasionally watched TV shows on the IPAD. I'm not sure if this will be an issue with other's 5th Generation 12.9 Pros, but keep an eye on it.

This is a copy of the work order:

Apple Staten Island
Nov 21, 2021718.568.2230

Genius Bar Work Authorization & Service Confirmation​

Repair No: R516698992

Customer Information​

Product Information​

Alan HowardWarranty Status: In Warranty (W)

United States
Model: iPad Pro, 12.9-inch, 5th Gen, Wi-Fi
Date of Purchase: Jul 13, 2021
Serial No: CY9RQJ4K45
IMEI:

Problem Description/Diagnosis​

Issue: Customer stated that he display has light leakage on it
Steps to Reproduce: Confirmed during appointment
Cosmetic Condition: Leightleakage on the display
Proposed Resolution: Customer isn’t concern about data
Swap under warranty
Contact Apple Support Case: 101553201262

Employee 366938673

Repair Estimate​

Item NumberDescriptionPriceAmount DueCustomer KBB
661-20335Space Gray, 256 GB, iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 5th gen, Wi-Fi
: V4HPD2NR99
$ 0.00$ 0.00
SC2Y2Z/AIPAD PRO 12.9,5GEN,WIFI,FLAT RATE,RETAIL$ 699.00$ 0.00
Total (Tax not included)$ 699.00$ 0.00
The above estimate does not include applicable taxes. Taxes will be calculated at the time of payment.

I acknowledge that I agree to use REFURBISHED part(s)/unit(s)

Work Authorization. I agree that the Repair Terms and Conditions on the reverse side of this page will apply to the service of the Product identified above; Apple is not responsible for any loss or corruption of the data on my product during service; as unintentional loss of data may occur as a result of the service, it is my responsibility to make a backup copy of my data before bringing my product to Apple for service; goods presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired. Refurbished parts may be used to repair the goods.

Parts and Service​

Item NumberDescriptionPriceAmount DueCustomer KBB
Same as described above
Total (Tax not included)$ 699.00$ 0.00

View attachment 1915042

Attachments​

Reactions: makra and Jitensha

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
I now this is an old thread, but this is my 8th iPad issue. This showed up on my 12.9" iPad Pro M1. About done with iPads. I love them, but I just can't throw away this much money every year or so, and Apple will never fess up to a hardware issue. But I don't want to go Galaxy Tab S8 or S9 Ultra as it has a stinking notch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.