Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I do like the sound of that, would make it like the note note line in terms of using it for more productivity

Yea, i love the idea, i think it would give the Pencil more meaning as well. On top of that it would add more functionality, i'm waiting for the iPad Pro 2, mainly to see what they do with it because i can't see what they could do to the second gen of iPad Pro.

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yea, i love the idea, i think it would give the Pencil more meaning as well. On top of that it would add more functionality, i'm waiting for the iPad Pro 2, mainly to see what they do with it because i can't see what they could do to the second gen of iPad Pro.
I’m struggling how they can make it a big enough upgrade.

Guessing

Faster (obviously)

Thinner

Lighter

Better pencil support

True tone display (a must)

Faster charge

Faster Touch ID

3D touch and a better display. 3D touch should be added IMO on the bigger and smaller. Wether it will this year is another question. I think supply would be the issue.

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I’m struggling how they can make it a big enough upgrade.

Guessing

Faster (obviously)

Thinner

Lighter

Better pencil support

True tone display (a must)

Faster charge

Faster Touch ID

3D touch and a better display. 3D touch should be added IMO on the bigger and smaller. Wether it will this year is another question. I think supply would be the issue.

I do think 3D Touch would be great on the iPad, I love it on my iPhone. The True Tone display would also be great, maybe less bezels is something they would also add. I wonder if we will also see a 2nd gen Apple Pencil.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
That was laughable what Apple just did... Making the baby pro the top dog. All the buyers of the IPP should get a free trade in if they want. I know it's business and money needs to be made but that just shows is it really worth it to buy the first new product of anything that Apple makes? Apples track record of screwing over iPad buyers is present iPad Wifi, iPad Mini 2/3, iPad Air and now iPad Pro

Apple are doing a good job of training users to be wary of first-gen products. Most people know how Apple deliberately holds things back and segments its own product lines, in stark contrast to Steve Jobs' belief that a user shouldn't miss out just for picking a size they prefer. Now this is Apple strategy.

Reactions: Cape Dave and ABC5S

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Yeah, I don't agree with that. If a person has a need, then address that need. No one knows what may or may not come and when; there will always be something better down the line. That being said, the 12.9 iPP has been out long enough to generate a substantial used market. I could not justify a new iPP. After searching through eBay I found a 128 GB with Cellular and WIFI for less than a Apple refurbished 32 GB WIFI only device. So there are options for almost any user out there.

BTW loving the device. These things have great legs. Even our iPad, iPad2, iPad Air still get regular use as media devices and light gaming. I suspect the 12.9 iPP will be viable for a long time to come.
if i didnt had the 12.9", and now i was looking for one, im sure i was waiting until March to take the best of it
[doublepost=1483897967][/doublepost]and i hope, but im pretty sure APple will put p3 wide gamut into the next 12.9" also

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Apple are doing a good job of training users to be wary of first-gen products. Most people know how Apple deliberately holds things back and segments its own product lines, in stark contrast to Steve Jobs' belief that a user shouldn't miss out just for picking a size they prefer. Now this is Apple strategy.
Problem is that Apple has pushed away so many consumers due to lack of innovation...The second generation iPad pro will most likely be a major flop for them.....Why buy a bigger iPad once again ....

Reactions: simonmet

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
As long as Apple keeps the USB3 in the iPP2 12.9, I'll consider switching. I refused the iPP 9.7 because it only had 2gb RAM and USB2 speeds. Yeah, LTE-A would have been nice, but they neutered too many other things for me. USB connections are free, LTE is expensive.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Actually, no.
I can argue that Steve Jobs held back 3G for the first iPhone, held back front facing camera for the 3GS, held back rear camera for the iPod touch 3rd gen, held back backlight keyboard and processor for the 2010 MacBook Air, so on and so forth.

If you actually know about product design, etc, you wouldn't make up such accusations. The iPad Pro had been in development for quite some time before the A9 was released. The 12.9" iPP was going to be released with the A8X, until the team saw the huge gain from the A9X. The device was finalized way before the 9.7" iPP.
Meanwhile, the 9.7" iPP was developed later, as a successor of the iPad Air 2. Of course it gets newer tech, plus Apple needed more highlights to make it a noteworthy upgrade from the Air 2. The 9.7" iPP is not supposed to be interchangeable with the 12.9" iPP, it is a continuation of the iPad Air 2. Also, note that the 9.7" iPP has less RAM than the 12.9" iPP.
[doublepost=1484112345][/doublepost]
I do think 3D Touch would be great on the iPad, I love it on my iPhone. The True Tone display would also be great, maybe less bezels is something they would also add. I wonder if we will also see a 2nd gen Apple Pencil.
I don't know why people want 3D Touch on an iPad. Do you ever imagine how one would activate 3D Touch on an iPad? It's not going to be user intuitive at all in such a huge thin device. Try it with current iPad. Can you even do a harder press without making it awkward?

Reactions: bensisko

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don't know why people want 3D Touch on an iPad. Do you ever imagine how one would activate 3D Touch on an iPad? It's not going to be user intuitive at all in such a huge thin device. Try it with current iPad. Can you even do a harder press without making it awkward?

I actually think it would be good on the iPad Pro, I can't use my iPad Pro 12.9" one handed anyway, Using 3D Touch would be great for apps on the iPad I think. I use it slot on my iPhone 7 Plus, it's a great little feature.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I actually think it would be good on the iPad Pro, I can't use my iPad Pro 12.9" one handed anyway, Using 3D Touch would be great for apps on the iPad I think. I use it slot on my iPhone 7 Plus, it's a great little feature.
Alright, prop up your iPad and pretend it has 3D Touch. How would you invoke it? It's silly.

3D Touch is fine on a phone because you are supporting the whole phone with your palm/hand. On a bigger screen like the iPad Pro, it's completely unintuitive as you have to awkwardly support the iPad.

Reactions: Cape Dave and ABC5S

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Alright, prop up your iPad and pretend it has 3D Touch. How would you invoke it? It's silly.

3D Touch is fine on a phone because you are supporting the whole phone with your palm/hand. On a bigger screen like the iPad Pro, it's completely unintuitive as you have to awkwardly support the iPad.

It would work fine, it doesn't require you to press that hard, it's a light press as if you are pressing into the screen. Which when using the 12.9" iPad Pro would not tip it over as it's a big iPad. I have tried it a number of times to see if it would work, and it would work fine.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
how 3D touch would be great on iPad?

simple for stuff as simple for me as following my football scores. i like using 3D touch to check stuff like who scored the goals by touching a score quickly without needing to go in it and due to me mainly using my iPad at home it would be useful as would email.

Reactions: Dave245
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.