12.9 Now outdated?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eddiexhart, Mar 21, 2016.

1. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

As you all saw the announcement with the 9.7 model now having Always on Siri and Live Photos.
    Does that mean now the 12.9 cannot do that?!

2. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

Unless iOS 9.3 added that to the 12.9", I don't think it can do that.

3. AliMacs macrumors 6502

It's outdated alright:

* 5MP front FaceTime camera
    * 4K capable rear video camera
    * 1080p 60fps rear video camera
    * OIS
    * LTE band 12 Tmobile support
    * update design on antenna in back now full aluminum back cover antenna area with plastic outline
    * Dual tone camera FLASH
    * True tone display

Um, yea, it's pretty much what an IPP 13" should've had to begin with.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

6. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

The main changes are in the camera. Do you really intend to hold up that huge 12.9" iPad to take Panoramas and photos?

7. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

yeah time to throw that thing away.. here give it to me theres a recycling center near me =)

8. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

12.9 retains faster Gpu and CPU and it's bigger ......um......clutching at straws...

9. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Depends on how important the camera is to you. For me, the 12.9 will only be outdated by a better 12.9.

10. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

I haven't taken a photo with my iPad Pro in four months. And the only thing I've used the front camera for is video calls, and 1.2mp is plenty for that.

The only thing that's a shame in my view is the true tone display, and it's hardly a deal-breaker. Quite happy with my 13in Pro.

Two things that are interesting here http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/: the 13in is listed as being slightly faster than the 10in (probably not noticeably); and what is an 'embedded apple sim' in the 10in?

11. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The 12.9' iPad Pro is is no way outdated. If you are judging the 12.9' iPad based on camera, true tone display then I have nothing more to say. That is why the iPhone exists and comes into the picture. The purpose of having the 9.7" was have the users who prefer the average 9.7' iPad but wanted a great keyboard and Apple Pencil. Both iPads have the capabilities of replacing your Mac depending on what you work on with your Mac. We do not know what the hardware is for the 9.7' iPad, but if I had to guess. its the same as the 12.9'

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

I suspect the embedded Apple SIM is the same as using the standard Apple SIM in previous devices. This iPad has an embedded version of it as well as a SIM slot for non Apple SIM's.

13. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

That was laughable what Apple just did... Making the baby pro the top dog. All the buyers of the IPP should get a free trade in if they want. I know it's business and money needs to be made but that just shows is it really worth it to buy the first new product of anything that Apple makes? Apples track record of screwing over iPad buyers is present iPad Wifi, iPad Mini 2/3, iPad Air and now iPad Pro

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Apple just can not introduce a product without ticking people off.:(

Just get me a grey 256gb Cellular in my hands ASAP and I will be very happy!

15. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

No, both the same.
    • A9X chip with 64-bit architecture with M9

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

12.9" iPad Pro did get the 256GB option today.
    Has a higher resolution screen than the 9.7" model.
    Keyboard cover looks to be a bit roomier than the 9.7" model.
    No camera hump.

Don't take pictures or video with the iPad Pro anyway, so flash and 4K recording would be wasted (on me, at least).
    Screen is the same size as a real sheet of letter paper. This alone makes the 12.9" better for me.
    Higher resolution screen makes split-view multitasking equivalent to two 9.7" iPads. The smaller Pro can't claim that.
    Bigger screen is better for movies, IMHO.

Were the 9.7" iPad Pro available in November when I bought, I'd still have chosen the 12.9" model. But I'm still glad they released it. Choice is good -- and a little unusual for Apple, to be honest.

17. AliMacs macrumors 6502

Marshall73 is correct - the IPP 13" is STILL FASTER than the IPP 10". It says so on the apple iPad Pro website.

18. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I'm guessing better thermal envelope for the 12.9?

19. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I'm on it and don't see anything other than the processor listed - which are the same unless you are referencing the x5/x4.3 factors which i'd take with a huge piece of salt given the smaller device has less overhead to drive the screen.

20. AliMacs macrumors 6502

Look at the IPP 9.7" it even supports LTE-A. F* YOU Apple.

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2016 ---
    Well, technically grasping at straws is correct too!

21. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

The 9.7 seems to have many more features.. I can see why the 12.9ers would be pi55ed! and a 1/3rd less weight. i think it has to be the best all round iPad right now. PC replacement - still not feeling it.
    • Live Photos
    • Autofocus with Focus Pixels
    • True Tone flash
    • Panorama (up to 63 megapixels)
    • Auto HDR for photos
    • Sapphire crystal lens cover
    • Improved local tone mapping
    • Improved noise reduction
    • 4K video
    • Slo-mo video support for 1080p at 120 fps and 720p at 240 fps
    • Cinematic video stabilisation
    • 5 megapixel photos
    • Retina Flash
    • More LTE bands

22. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

In some ways, that may be important to some people. I don't think it's objectively better than the original Pro. I'm mostly pissed they weren't released simultaneously to allow for comparison shopping. I'll probably stick with the 13" because I like the extra screen space and the camera stuff isn't particularly important to me, but still, had they both been released or announced at the same time I'm not sure whether I wouldn't have wanted to go with the 9.7".

23. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

I have no need for a camera on my iPad. That's what my phone is for. So take all that away and I still have a larger, higher resolution display on my 12.9 wifi. Some will be mad, as always, but not me. Love my Pro. The only thing annoying is that the 9.7" has some software functionality like Hey Siri that the 12.9" doesn't for no reason other than because Apple says so.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2016 ---
    Where is that info from?

24. Marshall73, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

Spec sheet on Apples website
    image.jpeg