12.9 Pro was supposed to have True Tone.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheRealAlex, Apr 2, 2016.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

So 4 months after the 12.9 Pro launches out comes a 9.7 iPad Pro with a significantly better display. I will point to Apples own Specs on color and improved overall brightness for that.
    But True Tone, wow I was skeptical but it really works and improves colors colors too why would Apple deliberately omit this from the 12.9 Pro. Simple they had no choice. Likely time constraints and technical issues prevented the 12.9 Pro from having these features but it shipped without True Tone. Where Apple is hiding 4 optical sensors is remarkable. I for one gladly trade off 2GB of RAM for the True Tone feature which unlike extra need RAM True Tone is a feature we see all the time.

2. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

It's funny - we heard that the iPad Pro 12.9" was late from Srouji's article about chip development - and the associated challenges with the Pro needing an A9X six months early.

But the Pro 12.9 actually feels early because of the lack of True Tone and P3.

In hindsight it seems like it would be better to have held back the 12.9" Pro until now, and released it alongside the 9.7" Pro with matching features. I'm sure there is a lot more to it though.

I agree with you regarding True Tone. I thought it was gimmicky - especially when Schiller seemed to overstate it saying you "would never want to go back to old technology" - but it really is very cool. My phone and the bigger Pro look like they have really harsh displays now! :p

3. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

The only way to tell if colours have been improved is to compare the image on screen to a reference. For example, if you have product imagery on the screen then compare those images to real world products placed under a D65 daylight lamp.

If you're an artist you have to becareful that screens that have high saturated colours don't interfere with your workflow from scratch to finish. In such a case the TrueTone display would have to be tested against other displays whole running apps like Procreate. Compare to fine art printing output too. Apple has been trying to conform to P3 of late, which is a wide gamut but is doesn't cover the same area of the CIE1931 color space as Adobe RGB does. So clashes can occur there.

If you just want to watch movies and entertainment then it matters less to be as careful and specific as above.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

5. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

One day people will just be happy with what they buy and not care about anything else :D:D:D:D

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I suspect if there were no forums like this, most would be more happy. The whining is just how the Internet forums work. Just think of how many Apple devices would have never been returned or replaced if people could not come here for the group paranoia!

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It was supposed to have 256GB too. They fixed that.

8. MrXiro, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yeah it was called the 1960s. Today we have the Internet and one person tweeting about a personal issue can snowball into a pandemic of "gates".

9. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Oh I don't know, albeit I wasn't around for the 60's. But today, I'm quite capable of independently researching my purchases and basing them on what I like.

That way I'm happy with whatever I buy, no matter what some whingy person thinks ;) The whiners who can't form an individual thought, well, :rolleyes:

10. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Even though I returned my 9.7 pro I thought true tone was really cool and the display was gorgeous and I would be really really hesitant about buying the larger iPad Pro right now as you absolutely know it won't be long until those features come over.

11. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

So TT will come with the iPP v2.

It's the nature of technology...

12. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Fair Point but you can understand how frustrated the large iPad Pro buyers might be. It's a really confusing mix of features with the two iPad Pro's right now.

13. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

I think the 256gb omission to be a greater sin.

Apple really shafted those who would have gladly waited another 4 months for the larger capacity.

14. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

It's a really odd one as well...

Pretty hard to believe that the larger storage chips simply "weren't available" a few months ago. :-(

15. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

If someone really needed 256GB they should have said no dice Apple and waited. Unless they absolutely had to have the Pro right now...

I do hope Apple gets these two on a similar releas cycle. It will really stink if one gets new hardware in the fall and then the other gets even newer hardware in the spring. The bigger iPP probably should have been held back until this spring. Though I must say if true tone is anything like night shift I would probably turn it off. I don't use night shift on my iPP as I don't like the way text looks when scrolling. It actually gives me a headache.

16. RedOrchestra Suspended

I don't get this argument - are you buying the iPP on size or on the latest hardware?

One sounds with purpose, the other sounds to be trendy.

17. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I have to agree, it really seems odd a smaller cheaper model gets a better display and camera than the lager higher spec model just a few months earlier.

Very odd and out of balance.
    If they do spec jump the larger model up this autumn, then they will leave the current smaller pro alone I guess, they can't spec bump that AGAIN in another 6 months.
    Likewise, they can't leave the current BIG pro as it is for another year from now.

18. bufffilm, Apr 2, 2016

bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

I think most assumed that having a 256gb option to be a year away.

No way would I have even suspected that Apple would do it, a scant 4 months later.

It's a legitimate gripe IYAM.

19. Mr.C macrumors 601

To play devil's advocate it may not have been so much about availability but cost. It's quite possible the cost was too prohibitive back then but that prices have come down for the 256GB flash memory chips recently allowing them to offer iPads with that capacity. This is just speculation on my part but I would have thought if it were possible for them to offer a 256GB 12.9" iPad Pro back then they would have.

20. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

You sir are giving Apple a lot more benefit of the doubt than I...haha

They are so so so about driving upgrades and ASP now that I'm never sure what to trust and believe with them quite honestly.

The counter to your point is of course that Apple never shy's away from delaying products to wait until the timing is right....and thus if 4 months was really all they needed to wait, they should have.

Why didn't they?
    To milk the holiday season.

Again - BCT in charge (Bean Counter Tim)

21. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

So I should have been forced to wait another 4 or so months just because some people want a bigger storage option? :\

22. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

>and thus if 4 months was really all they needed to wait, they should have.
    >Why didn't they?
    >To milk the holiday season.
    >
    >Again - BCT in charge (Bean Counter Tim)[/QUOTE]

I think you nailed it!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2016 ---
    My, my...such an ego.

23. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I think you nailed it!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2016 ---

My, my...such an ego.[/QUOTE]

Almost as much of an ego as you saying they sh9uld hold it back for you.

24. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

Happy with my pro 12.9 I bought last week. No need for the new try tone imho. I'm sure the next one will have it..... Not returning mine.

25. bufffilm, Apr 2, 2016

bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Almost as much of an ego as you saying they sh9uld hold it back for you.[/QUOTE]

I didn't suggest anything of the sort.

If fact, I don't even have a dog in this fight.

It amazes me to no end to have Apple apologists leap to their defense when a legitimate gripe is raised.