Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
I should add that Apple would never admit that it was supposed to have True Tone not to mention all the camera improvements also. And if it has not been said already it's worth saying again that the 12.9 crowd got shafted.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
True tone is the last thing I would care about in a screen. There are screens out there on other devices that far exceeds any of the ipad pro screen technology.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
True tone is the last thing I would care about in a screen. There are screens out there on other devices that far exceeds any of the ipad pro screen technology.

It's not even *really* a screen technology any more than night shift is. It's an upgraded ambient light sensor that tells the OS to apply an orange overlay to imagery when viewed in incandescent light.

I'm sure it's a nice touch, but I'm also sure I could replicate it on my iPhone 6 by manually enabling night shift when I'm not outside or by a window. (I just bought a 9.7 pro, I'll put this to the test shortly)

I also bet the jailbreaking community could create a decent facsimile by quickly polling the front face camera for white balance. Similar to how someone wrote a decent 3D Touch implementation for all touchscreens by measuring touch point diameter.

Again, not saying Apple's features are bad, it's just not The magical wizardry it's sometimes made out to be. (For the record, I read a review that listed night shift as a 9.7 pro specific screen upgrade too. Not everyone is totally savvy)

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
It's not even *really* a screen technology any more than night shift is. It's an upgraded ambient light sensor that tells the OS to apply an orange overlay to imagery when viewed in incandescent light.

I'm sure it's a nice touch, but I'm also sure I could replicate it on my iPhone 6 by manually enabling night shift when I'm not outside or by a window. (I just bought a 9.7 pro, I'll put this to the test shortly)

I also bet the jailbreaking community could create a decent facsimile by quickly polling the front face camera for white balance. Similar to how someone wrote a decent 3D Touch implementation for all touchscreens by measuring touch point diameter.

Again, not saying Apple's features are bad, it's just not The magical wizardry it's sometimes made out to be. (For the record, I read a review that listed night shift as a 9.7 pro specific screen upgrade too. Not everyone is totally savvy)
Correct, in reality apple used "true tone" as a way of cheapening out on giving their customers a actual screen upgrade. Hey lets give them our same 264 ppi with retina and the same resolution as the ipad 3 yet add some sensors that affect color tone and increase the anti-glare, voila they have a upgraded ipad screen. Sounds like a way to save money even more.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I didn't suggest anything of the sort.

If fact, I don't even have a dog in this fight.

It amazes me to no end to have Apple apologists leap to their defense when a legitimate gripe is raised.

How is this a legitimate gripe? Either 128 was enough and you bought it or you shouldn't have bought it. Not you specifically, obviously. Microsoft didn't initially sell their 1tb SP4. Either 512 was good enough for you when it came out or you didn't buy it.

Buy what you need when you need it.
[doublepost=1459637018][/doublepost]
I should add that Apple would never admit that it was supposed to have True Tone not to mention all the camera improvements also. And if it has not been said already it's worth saying again that the 12.9 crowd got shafted.

Unless you want a bigger screen, then the 12.9 is amazing.

Last edited:

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Correct, in reality apple used "true tone" as a way of cheapening out on giving their customers a actual screen upgrade. Hey lets give them our same 264 ppi with retina and the same resolution as the ipad 3 yet add some sensors that affect color tone and increase the anti-glare, voila they have a upgraded ipad screen. Sounds like a way to save money even more.

Just traded my iPad 3 so I'm sad I won't be able to do a side-by-side comparison, but I always thought the screen was great even as a first generation iPad Retina display. I'm reasonably picky, and I did do 1 exchange when I first got the iPad 3 for a massive purple cast on a third of the display. But it was a very obvious defect and I had zero complaints with the replacement, and have never noticed any substantial difference in any of the screens going forwards.

I will be surprised if I notice any real difference even jumping 4 generations now.
[doublepost=1459637709][/doublepost]
I didn't suggest anything of the sort.

If fact, I don't even have a dog in this fight.

It amazes me to no end to have Apple apologists leap to their defense when a legitimate gripe is raised.

How is this a legitimate gripe? Either 128 was enough and you bought it or you shouldn't have bought it. Not you specifically, obviously. Microsoft didn't initially sell their 1tb SP4. Either 512 was good enough for you when it came out or you didn't buy it.

Buy what you need when you need it.
[doublepost=1459637018][/doublepost]

Unless you want a bigger screen, then the 12.9 is amazing.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the 12.9 owners should feel fine with their purchase.

Although I will take the angle of "only buy when it meets your needs" to justify those who are holding off on the ram issue. ;) I sprung because life's too short to wait for the perfect device, but the iPad Pro marketing has a creative user slant and I will always appreciate more ram for doing creative projects.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I don't think anyone would have known that in just 4 months, Apple would go from offering a 128gb iPad to one that had 256gb.

Look back to all the iPhone and iPad previous models...such a leap in storage never happened before and certainly not in so short a time span. A year apart...maybe. Four months apart...wow!

That's all I'm saying...

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I don't think anyone would have known that in just 4 months, Apple would go from offering a 128gb iPad to one that had 256gb.

Look back to all the iPhone and iPad previous models...such a leap in storage never happened before and certainly not in so short a time span. A year apart...maybe. Four months apart...wow!

That's all I'm saying...

It's almost as cruel as the time they doubled the processing power of the iPad 3 after 6 months!

On the one hand tech marches on, but it stings when my 8 year old MacBook Pro can at least still load webpages reasonably promptly while the 4 year old iPad 3 would sit on a blank screen for 20-30s before even loading something simple like this forum. And that's just one example, everything on the device became an absolute slug.

Basically the slow drip of enhancements feels especially harsh on these devices that start suffering for it comparatively quickly.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
Technology R&D is going at lightning speed these days. If you are going to play the game of waiting a few months more for the next greatest feature, you will wait forever as there is always going to be something better in a few months. The days of having the same computer or phone be the best for 1-2 years are gone. Every couple of months there is going to be something better now. Better learn to deal with it!

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Technology R&D is going at lightning speed these days. If you are going to play the game of waiting a few months more for the next greatest feature, you will wait forever as there is always going to be something better in a few months. The days of having the same computer or phone be the best for 1-2 years are gone. Every couple of months there is going to be something better now. Better learn to deal with it!

Sorry, but if that's the pitch Apple is selling...I'm skeptical.

Does this mean if new iPad model in another 6 months? Even if it's an Air3, it will not break new ground.

Apple will need to try harder.

upritbass

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Vegas!

*sigh* So many people that don't know how to read or listen. No, TT is not a fancy night shift. Go back and listen to the Keynote or read the specs. Back atcha with "Not everyone is totally savvy."

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Fair Point but you can understand how frustrated the large iPad Pro buyers might be. It's a really confusing mix of features with the two iPad Pro's right now.
It's most likely because the larger iPad Pro was supposed to be the iPad to boost sales and it most likely fell short. So then Apple walked everything back and basically said.....just kidding we know everyone wants the 9.7 inch iPad so here's what we should have release in 2015 instead of a very niche gigantic tablet that only appeals to a VERY VERY narrow subset of iPad users.

What's happening is Apple is throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks. Looks like they maybe figured it out with the new, smaller pro and having a really solid cheaper offering with the Air 2.

Reactions: businezguy

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
*sigh* So many people that don't know how to read or listen. No, TT is not a fancy night shift. Go back and listen to the Keynote or read the specs. Back atcha with "Not everyone is totally savvy."

I did watch the keynote. I don't know what else you think it's doing.

Ps I Own the iPad and yes, I can match my iPhone 6 to the iPad temperature just fine with the night shift settings.

Reactions: jgelin

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
In other news, the Ford Model T was supposed to have power steering and electric windows. Oh, and monkeys were supposed to have logic.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
With every device any manufacturer ever makes there's always something that should have been in it. Or that they planned to have in it, or wanted to have in it.

But technology being what it is, things don't always go to plan and sooner or later you have to just draw a line under it and set the features, or you'd never release anything.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure, with Apple in particular, that there will be the occasional thing they purposely hold back as a feature for the next revision. But that's not always the case, it's just the way things go.

Would I have liked a True Tone display in my Pro? maybe. Do I miss it, or regret my purchase in any way? Dear god no. It was good enough for me to buy at the time and it's still good enough for me now.

To keep up with the constant changes in technology, you'd need an entirely modular system that you could swap parts on every other week. Or a PC for want of a better word, I'm not going to lug one of those buggers around with me :D

Reactions: FairyCatInPink

FairyCatInPink

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
So 4 months after the 12.9 Pro launches out comes a 9.7 iPad Pro with a significantly better display. I will point to Apples own Specs on color and improved overall brightness for that.
But True Tone, wow I was skeptical but it really works and improves colors colors too why would Apple deliberately omit this from the 12.9 Pro. Simple they had no choice. Likely time constraints and technical issues prevented the 12.9 Pro from having these features but it shipped without True Tone. Where Apple is hiding 4 optical sensors is remarkable. I for one gladly trade off 2GB of RAM for the True Tone feature which unlike extra need RAM True Tone is a feature we see all the time.

Yeah sure they probably was able to add that feature to 12.9" Pro when it first time came, but didn't, one of reason was(I think) because of its target Apple focused on. They were telling that it's a great iPad to "draw" and work on "photos", since Apple Pencil was a big feature came out with and Apple tried to sell them together. So many artists and photographer/photo editors were interested into getting 12.9" Pro with Apple Pencil.
Like someone said, for drawing/photo editing kind of work, true tone display is kinda "unwanted" feature even, I do digital art and photo edit, I don't want true tone display. I need consistent colors to work on.
I've heard you can turn that mode on and off, but switching every time isn't so convenient unless Pro physically has another button to switch the on/off.

On the other hand, 9.7", they have slightly different target from 12.9".
They are selling it as more mobile, and actually some media saying many artist doesn't want/doesn't care true tone display.
Its screen size is bit too small to draw compare to 12.9", it was focused on people who use it for not so artistic purpose but more like reading and as business tools. For those purpose, yes, true tone display is good feature to have.

I agree that Apple has strategy to put feature like "little by little" to make sure every update will have "something new" regardless that feature will be a big move or small move, but about true tone display on 12.9", it didn't happen because of their target, it wasn't necessary, I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgelin

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
I think these "improvements" from the 9.7 iPP are not important for the more work orientated 12.9 users. They don't need rear cameras or self adjusting P3 displays (they are a no go for professional graphic and photo jobs) but they need the big screen, 4 GB RAM and USB3.....

Last edited:
Reactions: FairyCatInPink

FairyCatInPink

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
I think these "improvements" from the 9.7 iPP are not important for the more work orientated 12.9 users. They don't need cameras or self adjusting P3 displays (they are a no go for professional graphic and photo jobs) but they need the big screen, 4 GB RAM and USB3.....

Exactly!

Additionally split screen is beneficial, when I draw with watching actual picture on the other screen. On 9.7", if you do split screen it's simply just too small, each Windows size down to even less than 7.9" iPad mini screen size...

I said this on other thread too, but again, when people buy this kind of devices, people better think more about which device is the best fit for their own needs, better not to decide to buy whatever "new" things on.
Apple has targets on their each devices. 12.9" Pro isn't for everyone, so as 9.7" Pro, so as Air and mini.
If you have complaints on the device you buy, re-think if it's really fit your needs, if you're one of their main target for that devices.

Reactions: AlexJoda

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Rule of thumb, always wait for at least the second generation.

Original iPad vs iPad 2.
Retina iPad (3rd) vs 4th Gen.
iPad Mini vs iPad Mini 2

I'm probably going to go for the next iteration of the 12.9".

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Rule of thumb, always wait for at least the second generation.

Original iPad vs iPad 2.
Retina iPad (3rd) vs 4th Gen.
iPad Mini vs iPad Mini 2

I'm probably going to go for the next iteration of the 12.9".

I agree. The iPad 2 was my longest held iPad and the real successor for it was my iPad Air. But I still don't regret that I have bought the iPad 1 and iPhone 1 because these devices were milestones at the time they appeared. The iPP 12.9 seems not as a typical first generation device to me. I don't see any necessary improvements at the moment and I think it will last very long for me...

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
the true tone and second gen touchid are the things they kept away for the 12.9" fall upgrade with A10 ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.