12 Cores?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iDisk, Aug 2, 2010.

1. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

As August 9th Approaches, the new mac pros will be set to launch.

My question is who is going to buy the 12 Core behemoth?

What will you be using it for?

How much Ram will be installed?

Are you going to add a better graphics card? If so what?

We hear so many people commenting on these threads about XENONS and how they're overpriced. These same people are comparing XENONS to non XENONS, so there advice isn't needed in this thread unless they have a very good reason based by facts in their argument.

So agin who's planning on purchasing a 12 Core Mac Pro??

2. iRobertM macrumors regular

I am planning on buying it if the price is reasonable. Will be used mostly for running many Windows server VM's within OSx and other CAD work.

3. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Define "reasonable"? :)

cheers
    JohnG

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

One who thinks that 12-core Xeon systems are unreasonably priced probably doesn't need that kind of power to begin with. The target customers for these machines are scientific, industrial and creative pros that can actually harness that kind of power with their software. And when they're making money with them, the initial cost becomes less of an issue.

5. strausd macrumors 68030

I plan on getting a 12-core MP for 3D animation and some video work. The prices aren't bad, I don't know why people keep complaining about it. Compare a 2009 2.66 GHz 8-core to a 2010 12-core at 2.66 GHz and there is only a $200 difference if you add a 1TB HD to the 2009. And the 5770 is better than the 4870, which is a $200 upgrade, 2010 comes with wifi, and a magic mouse. Also, it supports faster RAM. If you were to add all the stuff in on a 2009 8-core at 2.66 GHz, it would be more than $5000, the price of a standard 2010 12-core at 2.66 GHz.

So if you ask me, they did lower the prices, and you get 8 more virtual cores for less than the 8-core! What's the problem here?

Not only that, but if you make a dell workstation with 12 cores at 2.66 GHz, it will be $400 more! And it will come with slower RAM, worse GPU, smaller HD, and an awful case.

6. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

*raises hand*

Cinema 4D, Realflow, After Effects... among other things.

7. mism macrumors member

Seriously considering it. Mainly for rendering in Cinema 4D and Maxwell.
    With enough work it could pay for itself very quickly. Its a case of getting the work.

As for RAM, I'm rendering right now and only using 1GB of my 8 so may well stick to that for now, knowing its easy to upgrade in the future.

8. RatVega macrumors member

I'm planning on getting a 12X in the fourth quarter, the exact configuration will be dictated by the cost of options. I suspect that the fast processor option will command a serious premium (it's $2600 for the Nehalem 8X) but beyond that I anticipate that the system will include the 5870 graphics card and perhaps an SSD system drive.
    I've been playing with Macs for a while now (since '88) so most of the build-out will be aftermarket: Total RAM in the 24-32GB range, Hardware RAID card (probably Areca), and hopefully 8TB net storage. Dual 1080p monitors of course, plus color grading monitor.

The system will be used for HD post-production (video editing, color correction, compositing and effects, titling, authoring).

9. iDisk thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDisk

HP's 12 Core offering is priced $600 more then Apples. Again only people who understand there needs for a 12 Core would see that. So yes your right the 12-Core isn't badly priced at all.

The people who complain about price don't need the machine anyways ya know. I'm excited:) about the many options will will have to configure this machine with, and can you imagine a 1TB SSD Offering as an option, WHOA!:eek:

10. strausd macrumors 68030

I saw a 1TB SSD on Amazon not too long ago, only $4,000, not too bad :D

And I will start with 16GB of RAM and hopefully not long after that get to 24GB with 6 X 4GB, tri channel for each CPU :)

11. iDisk thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Are you an independent video artist? I have a few professional amateur friends in video and Im thinking about incorporating that in my digital publications. Or doing some short films.

How big is your team?

These 12 Core machines will seriously speed up workflows if you have apps that can take advantage of such. I don't think FCP7 can take advantage of these cores or any core yet.

12. strausd macrumors 68030

After Effects CS5 can finally use all cores! Definitely happy about that.

13. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

14. iDisk thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDisk

WOW!! 4k :eek: Lol yeah not to bad.....

My ram upgrade will be like yours for the most part, I'm starting with 16... I was in the Apple Store early today and was in front of the 27" iMacs and I can just imagine how beautiful the 27" ACD will be once it ships in Sept. Since I don't do very much print work for clients, I'm seriously considering 2 of them

15. strausd macrumors 68030

They are nice, but I am a little concerned considering they use the same panel from the iMac which still has the yellow tint issue. Since I also do a lot of Photoshop, Illustrator, and a few other things where color is extremely important, I personally wouldn't take the chance on one of those.

16. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

I'll be using mine (ahum, assuming my boss decides to stop walking with a squeak)

For a bit of computational fluid dynamics, google earth, a bit of final cut. a lot of watching movies and listening to music and running all the usual blurp web, e-mail, ichat, pages, numbers, keynote, ical and twitter. probably all at the same time (although on twitter I haven't actually tweeted yet)? And a few other things which I can't think of at the moment.

17. malch macrumors 6502

RatVega - Like you I'm an editor (I'm also a shooter), so I'd value your input, particularly because I'm easily confused by the comparisons between cores vs. speed, etc.
    I've been using a MacBook Pro (with 4GB RAM) for my editing for a few years now (I use Avid Media Composer, by the way) and perhaps because I'm not doing 1:1 uncompressed and the like, it seems to work well. But my second camera is an AVCHD-based Canon, and rewrapping and importing the AVCHD files into Avid is a NIGHTMARE in terms of the time it takes. (my main camera is a Sony EX-1, and these files get converted to mxf and are imported into Avid very quickly).
    I think a bigger, faster Mac Pro would help out with regards to this AVCHD nonsense, and for rendering etc. I just think it would be a better machine for editing, all round. But which one?

I tend to think that 12 cores would be best, but some of the posts that I read say fewer cores might be better, if the processor speed is faster. I guess I understand this, especially if a person's apps can't benefit from more cores (and I don't think Avid supports multi-threading, YET anyway; I hear they're working on a 64-bit version), but maybe in my case importing AVCHD would go faster with more cores?

To further complicate things (for me), some of you say that adding RAM is more important than anything else — but a recent poster on a Mac/Avid forum said that Avid can only use a maximum of 4GB RAM; again, this may change in the near future, and — this is a key point — whatever Mac Pro I get I'll need to keep for four or five years.

From what I gather on some other threads, I should definitely put the soon-to-be-released Quatro video card on my wish list.
    But which Mac Pro should I be saving my money for?

thanks for any advice, malch

18. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

Sandy Bridge Mac Pro

I'm waiting for Sandy Bridge to upgrade to a new Mac Pro but $4999 is not bad at all for a 12-Core Mac Pro and if you order it stock with 5870 it probably come out to $6186.41 with AppleCare, I paid $6,464 for my 2008 Mac Pro 3.2GHz 8-Core two years ago and ever sense then i've been putting away $600 a month and it's going towards my next Mac Pro setup but i'm skipping this update and waiting for next update in 2011

19. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

pshaw... 12 cores is nothing... if I had the money, and could stomach pure windows and/or linux I'd get 4 boxx renderbox systems (each are dual-dual sixes, meaning 24 cores) networked to have 96 cores working together all run by a 12 core boxx workstation... or get a cray xe6 supercomputer (96 cores per blade 2304 per cabinet)... or an ibm bladeserver (power 7 of course) or....:D

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

$4000!?!?

You know how many tacos I can buy with that much!!!

21. MacVidCards Suspended

And when James Cameron looks you in the eye and asks why you can't show him a render of a scene from his next $300 Million movie in the next 20 minutes....how are you going to look when you tell him you needed to save a couple thousand bucks on the rendering system?

You guys whining about prices need to realize that not everybody buys a new Mac just so they can post their Geekbench scores.

Some people actually use them in places where time costs more money than you can count on your fingers. It is time that can be bought in no other way.

22. rajbonham macrumors 6502

I totally agree. Unfortunately, those guys are busy and don't spend any time on these boards, so we never get to hear their side of the story, which is a bummer.

Instead we get, "Hey guys, I want to play Starcraft 2 at high FPS. do you think a 12 core Mac Pro is good enough for this?". :rolleyes:

23. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

The 8 and 12 cores are very competitive on a price front. The 4 core is a rip off for the performance you get.

24. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

honestly, that's nuts, better to go with 4x480GB OWC in RAID 0

OWC sells 8GB sticks...