12" MacBook or MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Howard2k, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

I'm thinking that the Macbook Pro is the one, but I'm posting the here since I'm not totally familiar with the 12" MacBook.

I tried the 13" MBA with 4GB and took it back, the 4GB just didn't cut it.

Currently: Mid-2007 20" iMac with C2Duo 2.4GHz, 6GB RAM, 5400 RPM drive.
    Looking for a notebook I can carry around on occasion, both around the apt and to the gf's place or whatever.

Key applications:
    1) Surfing the net and email
    2) GarageBand
    3) Writing
    4) Photo editing (Lightroom)
    None of these are in a professional capacity. HDMI is a "nice to have" too.

Whatever I get, I plan on keeping for 3-4 years.

I tried the MBA 13" and the 4GB was a killer. I was super fast but 4GB wasn't enough headroom for email, a bunch of tabs, and anything else. I could live with it if I was quite stringent and about closing apps and then opening them again if I needed to, but I'd rather just get something that is a bit more capable. Given my 3-4 year target, 4GB isn't going to cut it I suspect.

I think the 256/8 MBPro would do the trick. That's CAD$1,799 right now.
    The second option is the 256/8 1.1GHz 12" MB. That's CAD$1,549. But then I figure I need another $100 or so for a dock and accessories? Whereas the MBPro is going to give me the USB ports I need already. From what I understand, that Macbook USB-C port is for charging too, so I cannot charge and plug in the iRig at the same time without a dock?

Skylake MB with an extra port would have made things much more difficult, but it seems like the MBPro is the winner? A good sale on the 12" Macbook might also have made it a more difficult decision.

Any terrible flaws in my logic?

2. Jess Tech macrumors newbie

Your logicis totally sound.
    The 13" or 15" MacBook Pro(s) are definitely going to be the best option for you. Mainly because of the GarageBand and Lightroom, professional of not, I think you'll find the 12" MacBook to be as annoying (if not more so) than the MacBook Air.
    Based on your outlined usage and 'wish list' I would recommend the 15"MacBook Pro *non-touchbar model, since it has a good range of ports (HDMI, 2x thunderbolt 2, 2x USB & magsafe). Even though it has an older processor, you'll notice a huge speed different with the 16GB or RAM and 256GB SSD.
    It starts at $1999.00 Canadian, but totaly worth it, because you wont be spending money on docks and adapters, the average USB-C dock will cost $150+
    And it will last you 5-7 years

3. lowkey macrumors 6502

Using GarageBand puts the CPU under continuous pressure. That's not good for the 12" MacBook as it slows down with heat since it has no fan. MB is great for tasks that don't constantly use the CPU. In short bursts the turbo mode is great.

If you're not doing massive multitrack songs with loads of fx and synths the. The 13"MBP would do nicely. Otherwise the older design 2.2 Quad i7 15" is the way to go.

Or even better a refurb for a bit more savings.

4. evec macrumors regular

12" is enough of enough for GarageBand as of recreational use the 2-5 virtual sound and drum and 2-4 sound input.