12" MacBook power port wear

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chrisbmnn, May 7, 2015.

1. chrisbmnn macrumors newbie

I have been using a space gray MacBook for the past week or so and I just noticed that there is considerable wear (i.e. scratches, paint coming off) inside the power port already. I am not too worried regarding functionality, I am just a bit surprised that the port looks kind of rough after one week of normal use. Makes me wish Apple had covered it with a thin plastic layer like it did with the headphone port.

How are your ports holding up? Anyone who has noticed something similar with their space gray/gold/silver MacBook?

2. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

after your post, i checked out mine, i see some deep scratches too. Not sure if it's just normal use or the way power is run through.

regardless, i miss magsafe

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Can anyone come up with a picture? I've ordered mine couple of days ago, and I would like to know what's ahead before I start using it.
    On topic, I see some wear and tear on my MagSafe port on my rMBP 15". I'm hoping that the wear and tear on rMB isn't as visible.

4. Rotatores macrumors newbie

Mine too. I also miss magsafe as I've already tripped over and dropped my rMB while it was charging.

5. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Definitely a couple scratches inside the port, but that's bound to happen as it's metal against metal.

6. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I admire you guys for taking such great care of your MacBooks. Unfortunately, I don't take such great care of them. Mine already has a scratch on the lid from where I dropped it. My 2012 MacBook Air that this MacBook replaced was so worn that the lid hinge was coming undone. I'm abusive to my laptops from all the travel.

7. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

sadly, as there isn't a easy way for me to upload picture from my dSLR, i will let someone else do it

not a big deal for me honestly, but not something you want to see on your 2K machine

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

This is one of the reasons I went silver. If it does scratch, it is a lot less noticeable.

9. seong, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015

seong macrumors 65816

seong

haha... don't tell me its because of the lack of ports!
    jokes aside, yes, I would absolutely go crazy OCD on these. It's not so noticeable on my rMBP 15", however.

----------

Huh, really? This gets me a little worried about getting the space grey. I do not know if space grey models are produced with just coating (only had Apple Watch SG for a short amount of time, and the rest of my Apple Devices has always been silver.) Aren't the space grey colors created during the manufacturing process of the aluminum? Or are they just coated versions of the silver MacBooks?

10. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Attached an image I found online to illustrate my question. I would hate to find out that space grey color is achieved through coating of anodized aluminum.

Attached Files:

11. cmsj macrumors regular

cmsj

You can be almost 100% sure that it's anodised aluminium. There isn't really any other way to make coloured aluminium!

I am dreading the first scratch/ding, but really looking forward to what it will look like in a couple of years when it's got loads of them. I think the worn/dinged/scratched iPhone 5 units you see around these days, look amazing.
    It's like how leather looks better with age :D

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yes, there is...

Whoops, sorry; misread your post.

Attached Files:

13. jido macrumors regular

What would be nice is a cable like that.

Sorry for the poor mouse drawing skills! :eek:

Maybe there should be an angle on the MacBook end, so that the cable can be plugged in permanently without damaging the connector when travelling.

Attached Files:

14. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The same happens with MagSafe over time (as is the case with my 13" rMBP) but a week does seem a bit soon.

----------

That sounds absolutely awful.

15. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I think I'll stick a hardshell case on my Mac even though I absolutely think I shouldn't. I have that kind of OCD; If my devices aren't protected, I don't trust myself to not use it in good condition (seeing a ding on my iPhone makes me a sad person:()
    Anyways, yes, those tears look good, but I've yet to see one on a mac!

----------

I think you did quite well on the thinness of the rMB!:eek:

16. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Yep, it's anodized for the color.

But they all are... The Airs and Pros are all anodized too, with with lighter silver color. Always have been. Nothing new or different here with the rMB

17. hcole623 macrumors regular

hcole623

I would caution against the hard shells. More times than not, when dirt/debris gets between the hard shell case and your MacBook chassis, it then acts like sandpaper. This would only be exaggerated on a Space Grey ano. chassis.

----------

+1 its definitely anodized aluminum.

I almost went with the regular silver rMB as scratches would be far less noticeable (due to the minor color difference between raw aluminum and silver ano, vs the larger contrast between raw alu and space grey ano)

18. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

I suppose through time, with normal wear and tear, there will be at least minor scratches.

I am worried about the constant insertion and removal of the usb-c plug and was wondering if the port would eventually become too loose. Only time will tell, I suppose...

19. newellj macrumors 601

Not sure that's ideal - those could affect heat dissipation from the case, which is essentially a giant heat sink.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

indeed, but silver on silver is not that noticeable if at all.

21. noi747, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015

noi747 macrumors newbie

that's my primary concern as well, constantly plug in and out on this sole port for charging, data transfer, or display out will definitely loosen it as the time goes by.

I don't really know it will survive 3 yrs warranty including pricey apple care protection.

but according to ifixit teardown. this port is not soldered to logic board. it is not user replaceable. I mean not quite easily by common users as it was buried under the display hinge.

Once the port is damaged, you have to transfer your wor ks stuffs to portable drive be for the battery drain out. no chance for recharging. and send it to mac clinic and wait and wait.

22. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

^ This. Like the poor chaps that put bras on their cars and end up with sandpaper on their paint, they mean well, but were better off leaving it alone.

Just leave it be. My MagSafe port is chewed up but functionally 100%.

23. seong macrumors 65816

seong

There is a heat dissipation area at the bottom of the case. I've ben using this type of cases for ages so I think it'll be fine. If it creates a giant heat sink, then I'll simply get a pouch like ones and carry it naked :)

----------

I'm not getting the hardshell cases to protect my magsafe port, but rather the aluminum casing. I've had the hardshell cases on for years and never had a problem such as sandpaper issues. I'll gladly give this macbook a try.

24. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

I agree, looking inside a port as small UBS-C and worrying about scratches, is not something I care about. Snap out of it people.

25. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

pretty sure people are talking about the area around the port, not just inside the port. Anodizing in general and how well it will hold up on the SG.