Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Love my 12 Pro Max, except for one thing...

The camera app crashes every single time I open it. Can’t even take a single picture. Only fix is to shut down the phone and restart, but it seems that eventually it starts happening again.

It’s important to note that the camera works in other apps, for example, Facebook, so there’s nothing physically/hardware wrong with the camera.

Is this a known problem or am I unique?

*EDIT TO ADD*

Here's a more detailed analysis of the problem shared by @spksys

1. It seems to crash more often if I am using the iOS Dark Mode.
2. Sometimes I can bypass the crashing by disabling smart HDR.
3. Video also crashes when this happens, but if I switch it to 1080p I can keep recording.
4. Sometimes after the crashes it starts working again, after a while, but video continues to crash (assuming I have it set to 4k).
5. More often than not, I have to restart it for everything to work properly again.
6. You can predict the crash incoming soon, when you start taking photos and you swipe the camera up to get to the springboard, you can notice a delay, it's not instant as it is with fresh restart.
7. DFU restore did not solve it, I did one yesterday, no backups used, clean slate, but it crashed today.
8. After a fresh restart, you can open a ton of apps and not have any app restarts when you use the camera, but after like a day or so, everytime you use the camera, most of the apps get restarted, really looks like a ram/memory leak issue.
9. Tried to reproduce this manually, stressing the **** out of the phone on purpose, opening a ton of apps, installing, downloading, everything I could think of, but I could not! it always needs like 24 hours or so for this to happen.
10. My personal opinion is that this is not a hardware issue, makes no sense. But it sucks big time, it happens when I need my camera the most and this makes it a very valid reason to return.

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Upon some research it sounds similar to the photos app crashes that some people were experiencing on previous versions of iOS 14. I'm not seeing any evidence that it's a hardware problem rather than a software one.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
I have no issues with mine crashing, did you clean install or did you do a backup?

Backup, as I've been doing since my 3Gs with no problem. No way I'm setting up everything from scratch.

*Correction: technically a direct transfer via wifi, not a backup.

cubanovsky

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Poland
Same thing on my Iphone 12. Reseting, restoring, restoring through iTunes and setting as new device didnt help. I was talking with Apple Support, everyting is fine with hardware on my phone sinie they can check it through internet. Funny thing that i was able to replicate this issue on my Iphone Xs, taking many photos and changing to video crashed camera app in the same way as it is crashing on Iphone 12. This has to be software problem. As a proof im attaching a video that i recorded, it shows this issue.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Same thing on my Iphone 12. Reseting, restoring, restoring through iTunes and setting as new device didnt help. I was talking with Apple Support, everyting is fine with hardware on my phone sinie they can check it through internet. Funny thing that i was able to replicate this issue on my Iphone Xs, taking many photos and changing to video crashed camera app in the same way as it is crashing on Iphone 12. This has to be software problem. As a proof im attaching a video that i recorded, it shows this issue.
My wife had this same thing happen on her old iPhone XS Max. We never did figure it out as it was very intermittent. So far on her 12 Pro Max it hasn't cropped (pun intended) up.

cubanovsky

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Poland
My wife had this same thing happen on her old iPhone XS Max. We never did figure it out as it was very intermittent. So far on her 12 Pro Max it hasn't cropped (pun intended) up.
Unfortunately my Iphone 12 is doing that quite often, about every 1/2 days i have to restart it, otherwise i cannot use my camera without fear of crashing. Xs works like a champion.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Unfortunately my Iphone 12 is doing that quite often, about every 1/2 days i have to restart it, otherwise i cannot use my camera without fear of crashing. Xs works like a champion.
I was fully prepared to do a complete fresh install on the wife's phone if the issue persisted...because then I'd know for sure it wasn't the hardware of the old phone, rather a software issue of some sort.

Reactions: cubanovsky

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Why do you assume it's a hardware problem? Did you read what I said about it working fine when activated in other apps?
Actually he’s right.. my 7 plus a long time ago did the same thing. Camera app crashes. Everything else worked fine. Replaced by Apple and issue never came back. I know it seems weird but it could be hardware.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
My iPhone 11 will randomly do the same thing. I was in the middle of a phone call today and needed to snap a picture of what I was talking about to the person on the phone (as they were asking to make sure it was the right thing). I went to take a picture and it locked up on me. Ended up having to shut the phone off and after turning it back on, I was able to take the picture and text it and then call the person back. I have also had it do that randomly trying to take a picture (without being on the phone) and texting it. I think it is an iOS 14 bug as I have never had that problem with previous versions of iOS.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Yes, mine is just like this when it acts up. It's been fine so far today since I restarted it shortly before making this thread last night. We'll see if it lasts.

Reactions: F308gt4

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Actually he’s right.. my 7 plus a long time ago did the same thing. Camera app crashes. Everything else worked fine. Replaced by Apple and issue never came back. I know it seems weird but it could be hardware.
I suppose it could be, but most of what I've found online suggests that it's more likely to be software, specifically iOS 14, related. It's been good since my last restart, but if it happens again and I don't find more info on a software fix, maybe I'll look into an exchange.

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
I suppose it could be, but most of what I've found online suggests that it's more likely to be software, specifically iOS 14, related. It's been good since my last restart, but if it happens again and I don't find more info on a software fix, maybe I'll look into an exchange.
For sure, I was as skeptical as you were that it had to be software but I tried everything. Even Apple genius thought it was bizarre as we were able to replicate the issue after restoring as new and such. Replacement worked great. It just made no sense everything worked but the camera app.

Reactions: mvan231

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Well, I thought that maybe iOS 14.2.1 had fixed it, but it's happening again.

I this point I would bite the bullet and just get it replaced, except that my area goes into a covid lockdown starting tomorrow, so all Apple Stores are closed.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Got my 12 Pro Max last week and have used the camera extensively (main reason I bought it), have also been using the LIDAR scanner with the Polycam app. Not a single crash of any kind yet.

Surely Apple has some option to exchange a defective phone without going into a store, don't they?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Got my 12 Pro Max last week and have used the camera extensively (main reason I bought it), have also been using the LIDAR scanner with the Polycam app. Not a single crash of any kind yet.

Surely Apple has some option to exchange a defective phone without going into a store, don't they?

Seems like this can be done with AppleCare Plus. I'm looking into it.

cubanovsky

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Poland

The camera app crashes every single time I open it. Can’t even take a single picture. Only fix is to shut down the phone and restart, but it seems that eventually it starts happening again.

It’s important to note that the camera works in other apps, for example, Facebook, so there’s nothing physically/hardware wrong with the camera.

Any update on situation?

UDIDITAGAIN

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2015

Maybe it’s too heavy?

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
I would do a DFU restore and set up the device as new. If that doesn’t solve the issue, then I would highly recommend return / exchange.

fb1909

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2020
Same issue here with my 12. From time to time camera app crashes every time I want to take a picture. Switching between photo and video also forces a crash of the camera app. Only a restart helps, but some time later problem occurs again. Factory reset didn‘t help. Apple service did. a remote diagnosis and told me everything seems fine.

cubanovsky

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Poland
Same issue here with my 12. From time to time camera app crashes every time I want to take a picture. Switching between photo and video also forces a crash of the camera app. Only a restart helps, but some time later problem occurs again. Factory reset didn‘t help. Apple service did. a remote diagnosis and told me everything seems fine.
Exactly same story here. Also diagnostics didnt find anthing wrong with my hardware. Either reinstalling ios etc did not help. I hope some update will fix this issue..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.