Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Any update on situation?
I was just about to check in with you. So far I have not had any crashes since I did a full reset and restore through iTunes. As I understand it, this process fully reinstalls the OS and even the firmware, so if it does happen again, that will strongly suggest that it's a hardware flaw, and I will look into replacing.

Reactions: Boyd01

cubanovsky

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Poland
I was just about to check in with you. So far I have not had any crashes since I did a full reset and restore through iTunes. As I understand it, this process fully reinstalls the OS and even the firmware, so if it does happen again, that will strongly suggest that it's a hardware flaw, and I will look into replacing.
In my case full reset and restore through iTunes did not help :( if any update will not help i am also going for replacing. But in my situation and country where i live i have to send my phone directly to apple via post or ups, then they will decide if they can fix it or just give me a new one. That’s what consultant told me.

cubanovsky

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Poland
Now i am 100% sure IT IS A SOFTWARE PROBLEM. At work i am using my old Iphone Xs. Today while painting a boat (i am working in marina) i was listening some music on my Airpods. I decided to take some pictures of progress in painting so i did, when taking photos i observed that camera works very laggy and i thought „on wait, same symptoms as on my new 12) so i decided to switch to video mode (that usually kills my camera app in 12) and guess what? MY CAMERA CRASHED, screen went black displaying only swipe bar at the bottom. My phone glitched so much that even my bluetooth went off, music stopped playing and i had do reconnect my Airpods. I have never had any problems with my Xs in past 2 years. I am sure that this is something with ios 14.

Last edited:

fb1909

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2020
I did a complete reset via DFU mode a few days ago. Until now everything’s fine (about 4 days). We will see.

Reactions: lordhamster

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Well, after a week and a half of functioning perfectly since the iTunes reset, it's stared again.

As before, restarting the phone has fixed the problem for the time being.

Last edited:

cubanovsky

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Poland
Well, after a week and a half of functioning perfectly since the iTunes reset, it's stared again.

As before, restarting the phone has fixed the problem for the time being.
Same thing here, i did a settings reset. Everything was working for almost whole week. Today problem came back, i had to restart my phone to take a photo

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Same thing here, i did a settings reset. Everything was working for almost whole week. Today problem came back, i had to restart my phone to take a photo

I don’t have time to deal with Apple Support right now, but I have some time off during the holidays so maybe I will look into replacement options then.

In the meantime, a simple restarting of the phone seems to temporarily solve the problem, so I guess that’s all we can do. I wonder if it’s some kind of memory glitch where the RAM isn’t being cleared properly and it causes the camera to crash due to lack of resources. That would explain why restarting the phone makes it work normally for some time.

Maybe if we’re lucky ios 14.3 will come out and permanently fix it.

Reactions: 5105973

cubanovsky

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Poland
I don’t have time to deal with Apple Support right now, but I have some time off during the holidays so maybe I will look into replacement options then.

In the meantime, a simple restarting of the phone seems to temporarily solve the problem, so I guess that’s all we can do. I wonder if it’s some kind of memory glitch where the RAM isn’t being cleared properly and it causes the camera to crash due to lack of resources. That would explain why restarting the phone makes it work normally for some time.

Maybe if we’re lucky ios 14.3 will come out and permanently fix it.
Since first time it happened to me i was wondering if this may be related to RAM. What i have also noticed, my camera app is working slower and slower, after restarting a phone it works blazing fast but after day or to it works much slower than camera in my old Xs or 8, and then it crashes. And also i am still wondering why in my old Iphone XS camera crashed same way as on Iphone 12, it happened to me 3 time now and same like on 12 - only restart help. Funny enough my Xs was working perfectly fine since i got it 2 years ago.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Since first time it happened to me i was wondering if this may be related to RAM. What i have also noticed, my camera app is working slower and slower, after restarting a phone it works blazing fast but after day or to it works much slower than camera in my old Xs or 8, and then it crashes. And also i am still wondering why in my old Iphone XS camera crashed same way as on Iphone 12, it happened to me 3 time now and same like on 12 - only restart help. Funny enough my Xs was working perfectly fine since i got it 2 years ago.

Despite what others have suggested, I still believe that it is a software problem. I think it has something to do with iOS 14 and RAM management. The camera, especially in the 12 series, and ESPECIALLY the 12 Pro Max demands a lot of resources, and I think that you're right that the camera seems to function slower up until it starts crashing, and then with a restart it's like new again for a while.

I'm definitely no expert but that sounds like running out of RAM. Yet my 12 Pro Max has more RAM than any iOS device I've ever used (my last phone had half as much) and I've never had such issues.

cubanovsky

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Poland
Despite what others have suggested, I still believe that it is a software problem. I think it has something to do with iOS 14 and RAM management. The camera, especially in the 12 series, and ESPECIALLY the 12 Pro Max demands a lot of resources, and I think that you're right that the camera seems to function slower up until it starts crashing, and then with a restart it's like new again for a while.

I'm definitely no expert but that sounds like running out of RAM. Yet my 12 Pro Max has more RAM than any iOS device I've ever used (my last phone had half as much) and I've never had such issues.
Agree 100% with you. It could by a mix of apps and settings that causes RAM to fail on a software level. Thats maybe why not all users have same problem as we have.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Happened for the first time on iOS 14.3, so that settles it, I'm going to see about getting a replacement next week.
This time, I found that once the camera crashes started, other apps started to crash as well, but none as consistently as the camera. Everything worked fine again after a restart.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
It’s been 2 weeks now, everything’s still fine ??

Well I just got off the phone with Apple support, and they are not sending me a replacement until I attempt a full DFU reset and setup as new. They assure me that there's a 99% chance that this will fix it.

You're the only person I know of who has had this problem and seems to have fixed it through this method. It's been some weeks now. Is everything still fine?

fb1909

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2020
Well I just got off the phone with Apple support, and they are not sending me a replacement until I attempt a full DFU reset and setup as new. They assure me that there's a 99% chance that this will fix it.

You're the only person I know of who has had this problem and seems to have fixed it through this method. It's been some weeks now. Is everything still fine?
Yep.

Reactions: joeblow7777

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
That’s encouraging. I did it earlier today. It’s my first time setting up an iPhone as brand new in probably about a decade! Sure is a pain in the neck if you ask me. There’s a reason why I use backups.

Reactions: fb1909

PeterG727

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2020
What's the point of having back ups then? IOS is supposed to be a seamless and hassle-free experience, but software issues like this happening gives me some pause. I had crashes similar to this before, and have talked to apple staff over the phone to solve it, and the staff is clueless on what to do and asks me to book an appointment at an apple store. Apple has to figure this out as these weird software issues has happened numerous times to many people, and it could also save them some time and manpower at the stores as well.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
What's the point of having back ups then? IOS is supposed to be a seamless and hassle-free experience, but software issues like this happening gives me some pause. I had crashes similar to this before, and have talked to apple staff over the phone to solve it, and the staff is clueless on what to do and asks me to book an appointment at an apple store. Apple has to figure this out as these weird software issues has happened numerous times to many people, and it could also save them some time and manpower at the stores as well.
I agree, but I guess you have to figure that no code is perfect, and I have been carrying on the same backup through about 10 years and 5 iPhones. Glitches happen.

Funny thing is, when I was talking to Apple support, they wanted me to book an appointment at an Apple Store too.

Service Rep: "Let's see if I can find an Apple Store near you..."

Me: "Well, my area is in a lockdown right now. There's not any Apple Stores open."

Rep: "I see. Let's see if I can find another authorized reseller..."

Me: "Yeah... you see, there's a pandemic going on. I'm not going to a store just to get my phone looked at. You're going to have to help me over the phone or have a replacement mailed to me."

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Well, guess what started happening again today, 4 days after a complete reset of my phone and setting it up as new with no trace of the previous backup...

I will contact Apple Support for the 3rd time, and this time I'm not settling for anything less than a replacement with no charge. For a month now, I have tried every software based fix they have suggested.

*UPDATE*
After over a month, and three long conversations with Apple Support, a new device is officially on its way. At least I will finally know for certain if it's a hardware issue or software.

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Any thoughts on how to proceed if it happens with the replacement too?
My gut is still telling me that it’s a software problem, but I’ve tried everything that Apple suggested or I could think of. It may just be that some of us are cursed with some random combination of apps and settings or something that makes the camera unstable. If it really is a software issue, it seems rare enough that Apple will likely never bother to look into it.

cubanovsky

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Poland
Any thoughts on how to proceed if it happens with the replacement too?
My gut is still telling me that it’s a software problem, but I’ve tried everything that Apple suggested or I could think of. It may just be that some of us are cursed with some random combination of apps and settings or something that makes the camera unstable. If it really is a software issue, it seems rare enough that Apple will likely never bother to look into it.
And? Did you get your replacement? On my iPhone problem still exists, every few days I have to reset it to fix the camera. I do not have possibility to get a replacement in my country, service also is not possible for me since I cannot stay without a phone. So I hope some update will fix this..

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
And? Did you get your replacement? On my iPhone problem still exists, every few days I have to reset it to fix the camera. I do not have possibility to get a replacement in my country, service also is not possible for me since I cannot stay without a phone. So I hope some update will fix this..
As far as I can tell, the replacement hasn't even shipped yet. I was warned that there would be a delay because of the holidays.

I'll post in this thread again when I have something to report.

By the way, when the camera starts crashing, as you noticed any other apps crashing as well? If you can, try using your phone for a bit next time it's in that state before you restart it, and see if you notice anything about its overall stability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.