$1200 For A Trip - Where to go

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 103734, Oct 17, 2008.

1. 103734 Guest

Well I have about $1200 and I just want to go somewhere different, I live on the outskirts of Los Angeles and I just want to get out of here for 2 or 3 days, I want to just go somewhere by myself my laptop and my DSLR.

Just a few days going around taking pictures and forgetting about life back home.

I was thinking about saving a bit more and going to japan but I don't have a passport so im just going to pass on any foreign trips.

What do you guys think, either flying or driving? Something scenic.

2. 7254278 macrumors 68020

Well if I was you I would either drive route 66 or get a passport which I believe is very easy to attain.

3. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

If you haven't been to the Grand Canyon, head there via car. You can always swing by Vegas as well.

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

5. LDB macrumors member

LDB

If you are "doing better than you deserve" and have $1200 for a trip congratulations to you. If you aren't, or don't know what that means, then I'd suggest a trip to the bookstore or library after you research and figure out what it means.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If I lived on the west coast and wanted a big change, still in the US, I'd go to Hawaii.

8. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Drive up to Yosemite and stay there for a day or two... it should be about a 6-hour drive, but so worth it, especially if you want to do some photography.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So instead of getting your passport and going somewhere cool, you're going to settle for something else?

Hmmm.....if you haven't been to NY, just go to NY or something. Haven't been to Alaska? Do that. However, I'm in Japan right now on a trip, and it's a great place. ;)

10. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I got one a few months ago, it was $100 plus the cost of passport photos. For me, it was a pain in the ass because the moron at city hall where I applied didn't know how to use a copy machine and the copy of my drivers license supposedly wasn't legible, so I had to mail all sorts of documentation in to prove I'm me. My parents applies at a post office and got there's in a few weeks with no issue.

But unless you get a hell of a deal on airfare, $1200 won't get you too far on an international trip. Although Canada and Mexico might be a cheaper possibility.

12. 103734 thread starter Guest

I never said "doing better than you deserve"

Im just going to be getting paid for a temp job I have been doing on the weekends and I really just want to go on a scenic drive, or visit somewhere in the US.

So far I was thinking something along the lines of this route here

What do you guys think?

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

$1200? That'll do you plenty on an int'l trip! fares from LAX to Heathrow are going at $399USD roundtrip, if even at that! I'd definitely look into getting a passport, even just for having it as ID. Keep in mind that you now need to have a passport to go to Canada and Mexico. It may also be a huge stretch, but you might be able to get away with Sydney for a weekend, but if you already have Japan in mind, save it for that.

If you want to stay in the country, I second the trip down Route 66. You're from CA, so San Bernardino and Barstow are so-so, but Oatman is great, Kingman, Seligman, and Gallup are very cool places to stop and see. Cap it off with time in Santa Fe (yes, I know it isn't on the 66! :) ), and you may not want to go back to So. Cal!

I would also suggest Yosemite, but with the whole Fossett thing, the landslides killing a couple people there, and the charred land from the wildfires, it won't be as good..

BL.

14. Maximillian macrumors 6502

That's where I'd go. I love Las Vegas. So much to do and see!

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I guess out of LAX would be cheaper. I know out of STL, you can be lucky to pay $400 for roundtrip domestic airfare sometimes....I paid $850 for STL-LHR and TXL-STL (Those flights were booked on the same itinerary and considered round trip by United. LHR-TXL was about £70 on British Airways) but I know STL-LHR round trip was about the same.

I guess it's because LAX has competition and we don't here in STL...and you can't get out of North America from STL without making a stopover at a major hub, or chartering a private jet.

16. LDB macrumors member

LDB

"I'm doing better than I deserve" wasn't referring to you, it was referring to a third party and wise advice that he gives.

17. miiles macrumors regular

18. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

1200 isn't going to go far in Hawaii or abroad except for Mexico maybe.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Go to Alaska. I hear you can even see Russia from there. ;)

20. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

You could go to guam, im not sure how much it would cost. But it would be pretty scenic. Im pretty sure that you dont need a passport.

21. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I disagree. I find Vegas to be a vapid wasteland of cultural bankruptcy. Fitting that it's probably America's number one vacation destination.

22. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

vegas is awesome, as long as you don't gamble all of your money you will have a great time.

23. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

Come to lima, peru ! its cool its awsome and its kida cheap, I live here, If you decide Ill give you the best points and references.