$1200 Macbook Pro 17" 2.66GHZ on eBay, SCAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AHDuke99, Jun 4, 2009.

1. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I am almost certain this is a scam. It's an account with 82 feedback, but only 1 item sold in 6 months. This guy is offering top of the line 17" Macbook Pros, brand new for only $1200. He told me on the email that he gets them free through his company.

I should be right that this is a scam, right? That's more than half off what they retail for.

2. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Try sending him the money and if you don't get your computer then you'll know for sure that it's a scam.

Seriously though, it's a scam. Unless he's stealing them to sell, then you'd be guilty of receiving stolen property. I'd run from this one if I were you.

3. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Sounds like it. He told me he's selling them behind his bosses back, and said it would be a collect on delivery type deal outside of Paypal. It sounds more like he's stealing from his company and selling them. Ah well. As they say about too good to be true...

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Rule of thumb on eBay, Craig's List, etc.... "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is"

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

No, it looks like he's trying to catch himself another gullible idiot. If you've read other threads on the C.O.D., you'd see that the driver doesn't wait around. You sign off and pay the money and THEN get the box. It could have a brick for all you know and then it's too late :p

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Have to agree with this completely; it sounds dodgy, smells fishy, my advice is to run a mile from it. Don't touch it with the proverbial barge-pole. Not only is it emphatically a scam, as other posters have pointed out, it very likely is a crime as well......

Cheers and good luck

7. fishcove Guest

OR:

"If you find yourself posting on a forum, asking if it's a scam, then it's a scam."

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

He's either saying the truth, then he is scamming his boss, and if he is scamming his boss, he will try to scam you as well (what if the boss finds out how his laptops disappear and the police arrives at your door). Or he is lying, then he is going to scam you.

One way or the other, it is a scam.

9. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Stolen or scam - absolutely.

On the other hand, you could try paying for one with fake money :D

10. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

Why don't you just send me the money, and I'll let you know if it's a scam or not