Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

photo_stream_iphone_icon_2.jpg

Earlier today we posted an image to our iOS blog from Apple's upcoming Photo Stream instructions that seemed to show an unusual looking iPhone icon. We had initially dismissed it as possibly being a generic artist rendition, but upon further consideration, it does seem too coincidental that an icon closely resembling circulating rumors would appear in an official Apple release.

The icon can be seen in context above. There isn't a whole lot of detail with the icon, but on overview, it seems to show an iPhone-like device with an enlarged screen and possibly an elongated home button at the bottom. This matches up nicely with many of the circulating rumors about the iPhone 5.

Here we've enlarged the icon and put it alongside our designer's layout of what the iPhone 5 might look like based on the leaked case design documents. We previously posted fully rendered versions of images based on the design. There's been some debate about what size the iPhone 5's screen might be with a recent report claiming it would be less than 4".

As pointed out by one of our readers, Apple tends to be very precise with their artwork, even at small icon sizes.

Thanks NICKPR0

Article Link: Photo Stream iPhone Icon Hints at the iPhone 5 Design

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
In my opinion,

This is probably the best rumour thus far. I actually find this credible lol

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
Is there any way to calculate the dimensions by using the icon? I am wondering if we can determine the screen size. I sure hope the real iPhone 5 is at least a 4" screen.

bobbytallant

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
In my opinion,

This is probably the best rumour thus far. I actually find this credible lol

I actually agree. Dare we say, this actually seems plausible.

Hmmmm - maybe MacRumors actually got the design right. I was sure it would be the same as the iP4.

xFenixKnightx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
I think Apple realized, "Hey...maybe people DO want a bigger screen." from all the Android phones with big screens selling well.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Jeezo. I know the iPhone 4 had slight yellowing problems, but this is just ridiculous.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
It does seem weird that the designers went out of the way to make the iOS device look like that. We know it's easy to just put a small rectangle and a circle, and voila you're done! but to make it an elongated home button, and a seeming bigger screen, would point to at least something.

It's a designer for iPhoto, why wouldn't the person be educated about the upcoming iPhone if he/she is to include it as an icon?
Also, it is a beta, and therefore not released to the public. So it's a possibility.

The biggest joke of all would be.. if the iPhone 5 looks similar to the Samsung Galaxy S2 LOL! Who is suing who now?

I can definitely see it fitting the rumored iPhone 5 case leaks. Hmm..

iphone5-case-leaked-thinner-and-larger.jpg

moobey

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The people who made the icon know what the next iPhone looks like then? I have no idea what kind of access Apple employees have to unreleased products they're not directly involved with.

iekozz

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Amsterdam
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5313e)

Looks like a galaxy s and galaxy sII. Time for samsung to counter sue.

- Same screen size as galaxy s
- same style home button
- thinner (galaxy s II)

Samsung could win that.

dewski

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
i'd say the photo icon to the right is just as much of hint, its much more square than currents icons and would look good on a bigger screen.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
anyone got a photo of what it looked like before??

then one would ask why would apple change the image what would be the purpose? isn't iPhoto 9.2 going to be launching at the same time as the expected iPhone 5 in a week or so?

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5313e)

- same style home button
- thinner (galaxy s II)

Samsung could win that.

Slow down. Let's wait until a phone is actually released!

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

- same style home button
- thinner (galaxy s II)

Samsung could win that.
Not if they lose the infringement suit. Apple can't infringe on their own design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.