Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone-5G-Back-Cover-White-500x428.jpg

BGR reports on a new research note from Wedge Partners analyst Brian Blair, who claims that Apple will be introducing only one new iPhone model, the so-called "iPhone 4S", at its October 4th media event. The claim runs contrary to some other recent rumors that Apple will be introducing both an iPhone 4S and a redesigned iPhone 5, but agrees with other analysts who have seen no sign of a redesigned iPhone 5 coming through Apple's supply chain.
"We expect the focus of the new iPhone will be iOS 5, a speedier A5 processor and a higher resolution 8 MP camera with a small possibility of a larger 4 inch screen," Blair wrote. "We believe the casing will be largely similar to the iPhone with some particular modifications to the antennae [sic]. We don't expect a second, dramatically different iPhone to accompany this as we don't think Apple needs to have 3 models in the market to address the high end, mid-tier and low end since the iPhone 4 (with memory lowered to 8 GB) will drop to $99 and effectively attack those markets."
The complete lack of parts evidence for a redesigned iPhone 5 has led to serious questions about the potential for such a device being launched this fall, and with the iPhone 4S having been seen sporting an A5 processor it seems possible Apple may be planning only the iPhone 4S as its next-generation iPhone model.

Article Link: 'iPhone 4S' to Debut as Only New iPhone Next Month?

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I probably won't buy the next iPhone if is just a better camera and an A5, but the bigger screen might do it. The thing is apple always has a wow! factor, the thing they will advertise and i hope its something good!

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
Pretty cool, Apple

I think it's really cool that we're less than 2 weeks away from Apple spilling the beans on what's next and the rumors still don't know what it's going to be.

AlexanderTT

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
Liverpool, UK
After reading the Al Gore story I got all excited at the thought of two new iPhones, and now reading this it makes me wish this is all over soon!

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
To be perfectly honest I wish they'd stop adding digits after stuff and just call it iPhone.

Agreed.
Users could easily distinguish between the models by year ... no need to keep adding numbers and letters.

sirtimid

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
honestly....there is no way Apple, the largest tech company in the world, is going to make its customers/fans wait 15 months for hardware upgrades. Those can be done in a few months. It is going to be a redesign.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It'll be called iPhone 5. Can we stop with all this 4S crap!?

To be perfectly honest I wish they'd stop adding digits after stuff and just call it iPhone.

Who knows—but the 3GS had a great run, and kept a similar name (and shape) as the 3G.

I think there will be no new iPhone shape next month—but more important than the shape AND the name is simply: is it faster and improved? The iPhone 4 is already the best all-around smartphone you can buy, for nearly every buyer’s needs--so a step up from that, by any name, sounds good to me!

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
just curious how all those folks who were saying how stupid it was to buy an iPhone on Verizon back in February are feeling. "The new one is coming out in 4-5 months."

MannieSolo

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
Windy City
Back and forth we go...
If I hear "And this is how it looks!! Same Gorgeous design that we Revolutionized with the iphone 4" I'm going to be hurt. But sadly I believe this will be the case. My iphone 4 is on its last breath so I will be forced to get this anyway. I guess i'll just get a white one to feel like I have something new (physically)

deellow

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
The 25309
I think it's really cool that we're less than 2 weeks away from Apple spilling the beans on what's next and the rumors still don't know what it's going to be.

This. Either +1 for Apple able to keep it under wraps or a lot of people are going to be disappointed unless they see a new design after getting their hopes up these last few months...

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
Yeah, first it's a story that has you all hopeful and then another that kind of sucks.

I'm guessing either way when Apple announces that most people will find something they like about the new iPhone(s) and a few people will complain and say they are buying an Android. But only a few of those will actually follow through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.