Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, we noted that Case-Mate cases for the redesigned "iPhone 5" had appeared in AT&T's inventory database. The addition yielded the interesting observation that AT&T is apparently placing orders for the cases despite the growing feeling that Apple may not be releasing such a device and instead releasing only the "iPhone 4S" design that is nearly identical to the iPhone 4.

att_iphone_5_sleeve_1.jpg

We now have evidence that cases for the rumored iPhone 5 redesign have already begun arriving at AT&T retail stores, as one reader has sent us alleged photos of iPhone 5 silicone sleeves that appear to have arrived at his AT&T store today. Like other cases for the rumored redesign of the iPhone 5, these cases appear to show a tapered design and the mute switch moved to the opposite side of the device.

att_iphone_5_sleeve_2.jpg
att_iphone_5_sleeve_3.jpg

Third-party cases continue to be essentially the only evidence in favor of a redesigned iPhone 5 even as evidence for the iPhone 4S continues to mount in the form of parts leaks, inventory database listings, and other reports from sources.

Article Link: 'iPhone 5' Silicone Sleeves Already Arriving at AT&T Retail Stores

Last edited by a moderator:

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
It definitely exists. Apple has just done a very good job of keeping it a secret this time around. I'm sure this exists.

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

looks like I might be able to spend some insurance money!

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
OMG! Is this for real? is it for REAL? wow... this is the biggest HOPE yet.

Guys, we might actually be seeing a redesigned iPhone 5! I don't know what to believe..

or should we take this as a grain of salt?

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
This is crazy, I had pretty much come to grips with only getting a 4S ... but no way AT&T would be ordering these if a redesign wasn't being released.

gonzoguy24

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
Really?

Is it just me or would ATT really sell a case that had such bland/lame packaging....I have always been Verizon and have never been in an ATT store so I would not know...

branjmb

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
oh brother

"....despite the growing feeling that Apple may not be releasing such a device and instead releasing only the "iPhone 4S" design that is nearly identical to the iPhone 4"

you're kidding right? The only "evidence" that there is not an iPhone 5 is that the 4S was the only thing in the Apple inventory-- which is dumb because that makes perfect sense. The 4S is not a big deal, not a secret. The iPhone 5 is big enough of a secret it WON't be in the computer!

I don't know why you guys and 9 to 5 mac are so convinced there won't be an iPhone 5.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
So excited!

Tho am i the only one that kinda prefers the mute switch on the left?

I do too. If you're right handed, your thumb is in a natural position to get at the switch when it's on the left. Oh well, not that big of a deal.

I can't tell from the pics, is it wider?

Yes, it's wider. There are some good pics here from the prototype that was made: http://www.giga.de/benm/2011/09/29/iphone-5-this-is-our-design-prototype/

Can't wait to see what Apple does with the elongated home button. Hoping for a gesture to move to the previously opened app. Doubletapping to get to the recent apps dock is awkward. Oh, and wiping the button to unlock it would be nice, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.