Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvoTengoku

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
Mine is slightly brighter in the middle right to left. Only 1 day old since purchase. Not sure if i wanna keep it or go back to the store.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
Mine is slightly brighter in the middle right to left. Only 1 day old since purchase. Not sure if i wanna keep it or go back to the store.

Every screen is like this, more or less.
For now, the chance of getting something even much worse is bigger than ever before. The batches come with very lower degree of qualiy control and you may end up with far worse experience! Just advice..

Last edited:

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Was at bjs. They have a Verizon stand there so I checked out the display iPhone. Sure enough, the top is dimmer. Seems like the majority of iPhones will have this problem. Don't know how apple can consider this acceptable considering the main selling point is the quality of the display.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
Just ridiculous..
This is unbelievable not only from the point of view that display quality is so strongly advertised by Apple, but also the other competitors (Amoled) are getting closer to the Apple's display quality minus these problems , mentioned above. This is not the way of keeping winners position..

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
I checked out the new razor amoled screen. Perfectly uniform, actually, that went with all the phones at Verizon with the exception of iPhones and iPads. The iPad they had there pretty bad as well. Darker on the left edge and brighter on the right edge in portrait.

MrBob910

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
Received 2 4s last Friday, one black and one white. The black one is slightly yellow when viewing screen with white background. The white one is very white. I compared these 2 4s to another 3 4s we have in the office. None of them look the same. The only similarity is the black ones have slightly darker screen. I went back to the 3 old 3GS we had for a little over 2 years, and all 3 screens look different as well. Again, the only similarity is the black one has slightly darker screen. At this point, I am thinking twice whether I should return the 4s with slightly yellow screen or not.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I think its because there are a lot more outsourced manufacturers this time. Compared to the 1 or 2 used during iPhone 4.

Just like on the laptops, LG screens tend to be warmer on both phone, tablet and computer. Thats just their MO. Samsung tends to be cooler and neutral. The rest (Chimeo AUO etc) can be 50:50...it really is a lottery.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The top left of mine is slightly dim... The AT&T logo is slightly grey.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The top left of mine is slightly dim... The AT&T logo is slightly grey.

Seems to be common, wouldn't have noticed without this thread.

EvoTengoku

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
Here is my screen.

2ilotfr.jpg

Hard to capture but you can see some uneven back lighting.

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Here is another screen shot. Pratt is at the earpiece.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    640.9 KB · Views: 118

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
From this shot I can see both sides darker and dimmer. Which one is the problematic one in fact?
Also what is your screen brightness?

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Here is a pic of the phone rotated. Pratt at home button.

Attachments

• photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    598.8 KB · Views: 98

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
On your screen- can you see the LEDs on the top when viewing at angle? There are two types of screens from my observations. First type- you can see the leds on top side, but yellow tint. Second type- you cannot see the leds, therefore it's dimmer on top, but great tint.
Also the first type seems to have brighter middle of the screen- sometimes very obvious!

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
My black one got a great blue tint and got like 8 spotlight or flashlights on top. And yes, it's dimmer on top, too. The only one that has an uniform screen was a yellow tinted screen which I regret returning as I prefer uniformity over yellow tint.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
With 4S it seems we don't have a full happiness..have to live with some problem or with another..
Which one is worst- yours or your wife's one as dimming?

You didn't tell me at what brightness level you made a shots of your screen?

Last edited:

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
My wife's phone definitely worst. But doesn't bother her at all and I'm leaving it alone.

Brightness is at 50% with auto off. That's The brightness level I use my phone at so that's where I think the pics are most accurate. The geniuses always turns everything to the max, that's the first thing they do. At lower levels is where you see the problems. I don't think anybody ever uses 100% unless you work outdoors.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
You are absolutely right!
I am also using 50% brightness.
But somehow once I saw much worse screen problems than mine, I am a bit hasitated to go for replace. I am pretty sure Genius won't even notice this problem.

llbaronll

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
as far as i know. i have noticed this since the iphone 4 came out. not the iphone 4s

and the only explination i gave for it is because there is the lights coming out from the top of the screen is bright, which makes the the "area" where the light is not reaching abit darker. " stupid explination but hey "

but i saw this since i had my iphone 4. not just the 4s. however. some of these pictures here are extreme. like the one with the text brett is kinda bad.

i did have this on my iphone 4. and i do have it also on my iphone 4s. and i think its normal. all the screens are like that. dont let it bother you unless like i said, its very extreme.

i think i have extreme OCD problem. as i went thro no less than 30 iphone 4 and i phone 4s between used and new " have friends that wok in the market so they hook me up with the phones if they are clean with no scratches to check up the screen. and i have come to believe there is no really perfect. screen.

some has yellow hue, some have screen light leak, some have dead pixels. etc. " specially the dead pixels and screen leak omg most of the iphone 4 screens suffer from that "

now i have found a perfect one " almost " no dead pixel. no screen light leak, acceptable blue " in fact the best blue i was able to find in 4s yet. even tho not as blue as my ipod touch 4"

and i do have this an even " backlighting " but i have to admit. its not that extreme .

now i kinda wish i didnt read this thread. fu guys :/ .

i never made an issue about it now that i read it i am starting to notice it. heh.

but i aint going to trade it anyway. if down the road i was able to find a better iphone 4s with better screen, then sure i might trade and pay some $ to my friend. but sure as hell i am sticking with this.

aint going to apple store to talk some tard who call him self a genius to give a phone with much worse problems. like i said 99% of the iphone screens has this. if not all. so no need to freak out over something you cant really change.

also, for some who is compaing about this and saying the android screen is better when it comes to this, then please go do a google search on the galaxy s2 screen . and read about the problem with half of the screen from the left is yellowish while the right one is cool blue.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/30/is-your-galaxy-s-iis-display-yellow-on-the-left/

and there was a huge thread about it in the xda forums with more than 300 of replies. so its not like the other screens are perfect. each have its problems. just pick the phone you like and with the least problem that you can live with .

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.