Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nimski62

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
YES.. Apple changed the vibrator hardware for the Verizon IP4 and now all of the 4S lineup. Before there was a rotational motor like most phones, now there is a linear oscillator. The vibration feelings are totally different, nothing to be bothered about.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
YES.. Apple changed the vibrator hardware for the Verizon IP4 and now all of the 4S lineup. Before there was a rotational motor like most phones, now there is a linear oscillator. The vibration feelings are totally different, nothing to be bothered about.

I already knew this.. but mine sounds quite annoying and buzz like if you listen to the clip. I highly doubt that is a normal sounding vibrate.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
It sounds like there's something loose next to the vibration motor in the iPhone. You should probably take it to Apple and they'll give you a new one in the store.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
It sounds like there's something loose next to the vibration motor in the iPhone. You should probably take it to Apple and they'll give you a new one in the store.

I don't even live remotely close to an Apple store is the problem, will they ship me one and then I can mail back this lemon?

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I don't even live remotely close to an Apple store is the problem, will they ship me one and then I can mail back this lemon?

Did you buy AppleCare? If so, then yeah. If not, they usually have you send back your phone, then they send a new one when they get the old one. There's also an option to have them ship the new one first, but you have to pay some fee (I forget how much) for that. The fee is waived if you have or purchase AppleCare

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Did you buy AppleCare? If so, then yeah. If not, they usually have you send back your phone, then they send a new one when they get the old one. There's also an option to have them ship the new one first, but you have to pay some fee (I forget how much) for that. The fee is waived if you have or purchase AppleCare

It seems that when I grip the phone tighter around the steel bands it goes away. I don't have another phone, so hopefully Apple will send me one before I send this one back, as it has a 1 year warranty.

zee28

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
My black 32 4s makes a similar sound on vibrate. Not sure if it us an issue or not. But if I hold it firmly on the bottom right corner right beside the home botton it sounds "normal" without that buzzing sound. try that and tell me what happens, im interested in seeing if we have the same "problem" or if its normal. My old 3g and my friends 4 are much quieter in comparison.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
My black 32 4s makes a similar sound on vibrate. Not sure if it us an issue or not. But if I hold it firmly on the bottom right corner right beside the home botton it sounds "normal" without that buzzing sound. try that and tell me what happens, im interested in seeing if we have the same "problem" or if its normal. My old 3g and my friends 4 are much quieter in comparison.

Yes, when I hold in the corner next to the home button it goes away. I retract my statement that it goes away when holding the steel bands tighter.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
Mine makes this buzzing too....if you grip it tightly it doesnt do it.

Sounds like a design issue and less of a manufacturing one

zee28

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
I would like to hear from more 4S users regarding this. Just seems a lot louder then my previous iPhone 3g or my friends 4 I compared it to. I wasn't sure if this was normal with all new 4S's or if it should be of any concern as if almost sounds like there could be something loose inside.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Mine makes this buzzing too....if you grip it tightly it doesnt do it.

Sounds like a design issue and less of a manufacturing one

I don't think it's a design issue if not all of the 4S's have this problem.

I would like to hear from more 4S users regarding this. Just seems a lot louder then my previous iPhone 3g or my friends 4 I compared it to. I wasn't sure if this was normal with all new 4S's or if it should be of any concern as if almost sounds like there could be something loose inside.

I also think that something is either loose or broken inside.

I'm going to call Apple tomorrow and ask what to do since I don't have another phone to use in the mean time.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
I don't think it's a design issue if not all of the 4S's have this problem.

I also think that something is either loose or broken inside.

I'm going to call Apple tomorrow and ask what to do since I don't have another phone to use in the mean time.

Every iPhone 4S on display at the Apple store makes that noise....so take that for what its worth

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Every iPhone 4S on display at the Apple store makes that noise....so take that for what its worth

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Do they also sound quieter when held more firmly on the corner?

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
32gb White 4s

hey, had my phone two days and didn't notice it till my phone was laying on the arm of my recliner and someone called...it sounds like something is lose near the home button. i'm gonna make a genius bar appointment and then see what they say.

brian540

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I took this to the Apple store friday they opened my phone confirmed it was normal compared to others was fine too

I think it's flawed too much noise is produced from the vibrate

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
So you can confirm that this "defect" is on all 4S's? I can't believe how annoying it sounds compared to my ATT iPhone 4.

Can't say for sure but sounds just like its louder compared to previous models....seems like it's not a one off as reported in this thread.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I took this to the Apple store friday they opened my phone confirmed it was normal compared to others was fine too

I think it's flawed too much noise is produced from the vibrate

Thanks for the information! I may end up trying to open my iPhone and modding the vibrate to either fix it or install the iPhone 4 ATT (GSM) different vibrate motor that I much prefer.

Last edited:

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
It seems that if you push down on the home button (without it being clicked) the vibrate buzz goes away also, this may be the culprit.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Call 1-800-APL-CARE. Explain the problem to them and ask for an advance replacement. They will ask you for a credit card number to put a hold on, the hold will be for the FULL, UNSUBSIDIZED price of the phone. It's not a problem if you put it on a credit card you don't depend on. They will send you a replacement and once they receive yours back they will remove the hold. There is a $15 fee I believe, but they almost always waive it.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Call 1-800-APL-CARE. Explain the problem to them and ask for an advance replacement. They will ask you for a credit card number to put a hold on, the hold will be for the FULL, UNSUBSIDIZED price of the phone. It's not a problem if you put it on a credit card you don't depend on. They will send you a replacement and once they receive yours back they will remove the hold. There is a $15 fee I believe, but they almost always waive it.

What if you don't have a credit card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.