Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2568348/galaxy-nexus-review

It's tied with the iPhone 4s as the highest reviewed phone he's done with a score of 8.6. I find Josh's reviews to be among the best in the business and very unbiased so this really is a big deal.

I am seriously impressed, now I don't know what phone to get next :mad:

"The Galaxy Nexus is the best Android phone ever made. It's one of the best smartphones ever made, and with a couple of minor tweaks (particularly to the camera), it could be the best smartphone ever produced. "

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
"Ice Cream Sandwich easily gives iOS and Windows Phone a run for their money, and in many ways, it's a superior operating system than either of them. "

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Its a very good review, and considering how much Topolsky has enjoyed iOS in the past, this review means a lot (especially the equal scoring with the 4S). Its good to have the two major competitors going into the market with matured systems now. If I had not gotten the 4S (and was not as invested in the App Store as I am), I would seriously jump on the Galaxy Nexus. I also prefer Google Music to the idea of iTunes Match.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
A comparison of how he broke down each score for both devices

GALAXY NEXUS
Design 8
Display 9
Camera 7
Reception 9
Performance 10
Software 10
Battery Life 8
Ecosystem 8

iPHONE 4S

Design 8
Display 10
Camera 9
Reception 7
Performance 8
Software 9
Battery Life 8
Ecosystem 10

Sangdushi

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2011
damnit Google, WHY YOU DO DIS?!

I set my mind on getting the 4s. now I can't make a purchase decision without buyers remorse and thinking what if :(

gonnabuyamacbsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
I think Google has finally did it. first android phone that isn't a piece of crap and may very well be the best phone in the market...

this is huge, never thought I would see the day. almost kind of sad

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK
Had a play with one today,and a nokia lumia,the nexus is big,but bloody hell what a piece of kit,its very fast, looks and feels superb and ICS is a revalation!!...and in my opinion the Nokia has to be the best looking and feeling in the hand, phone i'v ever held,...oh dear apple,nokia and samsung have released phones that look and feel so much better than the 4S,and so close to the release of the 4S,Apple are going to be so far behind these two manufacturers in a years time i begin to wonder if they will ever catch up,personally i don't think they will,software and hardware wise,IOS is now looking very very stale compared to mango and ICS....

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
^^
...except people have been saying that since the Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy S, N8 and X device came out. Yet...

 still raking it in $$$$$$$$$$.

Don't get me wrong i like the phone, just the way i like the GSII, Droid RAZR, Nokia's N9/Lumia 800 etc. But i'm just bored of reading "X device is soo great,  has been left behind, how will they ever catch up" everytime this/that flagship from X company is released.

After all, its not like  will sit on their asses twiddling their thumbs for the next 12 months.

Yes the competition will improve and rightly so...but so too will .

Last edited:

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
...except people have been saying that since 2007 and yet...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

dude, don't start the $$$$$$$ crap. mac heads have also known for a long time that mac os is better than windows but for a very long time windows made more money. back then windoh fans would give the $$$$$$ argument.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
So looks like both Apple and google have put forward their best creations and they are certainly both amazing.

Now the ball is in RIM and Microsoft's court. Let's see how long does it take both to make an amazing device running WP7 or BBX.

Competition is good :)

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Pretty sure it'll be exclusive to Verizon for a while, but if you can get an unlocked version it'll work on both AT&T and T-Mobile's 3G.

Or if you cannot wait, you could try importing one from Canada. Bell is releasing this in early December and Rogers and Telus early January. All three are compatible with AT&T.

Also it is worth noting that the phone is pentaband. Meaning you can use it on T-mo as well.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
Except that in the US we have to take the ************* put up by the greedy carriers. News says there will be Verizon bloatware on the Verizon version, which means any OS update has to go through Verizon.
I don't really give a ***** about Verizon since I'm on ATT, but they really need to sell a carrier free version along with them.

macinnv

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Pretty sure it'll be exclusive to Verizon for a while, but if you can get an unlocked version it'll work on both AT&T and T-Mobile's 3G.

Correct, the Engadget review they states this is the first pentaband android phone and will support both ATT and T-Mobile HSPA+.

My only gripe with this phone is the size. If you go on Phone Arena you can compare the size to your current phone. Its massive compared to the 4S and a bit bigger than my current android.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I like the size of the iPhone a lot better. I'm sure that ICS will suck once the manufacturers get their grimy little hands on it. That, and Samsung's build quality and RF performance absolutely suck. I had a pretty bad experience with my Samsung Captivate.

If I ever go back to Android, I'll probably switch to Verizon and get a Motorola DROID.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I have a skyrocket, Samsung has already stated it will get ICS early part of 2012. How does one take a Rodgers Nexus and activate it on AT&T? Just bring it in to a corporate store?

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
whilst the 4S is a brilliant phone, this should keep Apple on their toes to release something huge next year.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
competition is always good.

next time Apple will release the iPhone after testing the batterygate.

Well, i always will be with iOS no change bought into the iTunes ecosystem.

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK
Don't think the nexus will have any bloatware on it....thats the point of the Nexus name.....just pure Android,no carrier crap,i;m in the UK and certainly all the UK carriers won't have any on....the Nexus one or the Nexus S never did,i would be pretty sure that Google have said to Verizon or whoever in the US gets the Nexus,just leave it as or no phone for you to sell?...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.