Galaxy Nexus Review by Joshua Topolsky. Mother of God....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Funkymonk, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2568348/galaxy-nexus-review

It's tied with the iPhone 4s as the highest reviewed phone he's done with a score of 8.6. I find Josh's reviews to be among the best in the business and very unbiased so this really is a big deal.

I am seriously impressed, now I don't know what phone to get next :mad:

2. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

"Ice Cream Sandwich easily gives iOS and Windows Phone a run for their money, and in many ways, it's a superior operating system than either of them. "

3. nfl46 macrumors 604

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Its a very good review, and considering how much Topolsky has enjoyed iOS in the past, this review means a lot (especially the equal scoring with the 4S). Its good to have the two major competitors going into the market with matured systems now. If I had not gotten the 4S (and was not as invested in the App Store as I am), I would seriously jump on the Galaxy Nexus. I also prefer Google Music to the idea of iTunes Match.

5. BainthaBrakk macrumors newbie

Performance & Software both scored 10. My oh my. The video reviews on The Verge are great.

6. Funkymonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

A comparison of how he broke down each score for both devices

GALAXY NEXUS
    Design 8
    Display 9
    Camera 7
    Reception 9
    Performance 10
    Software 10
    Battery Life 8
    Ecosystem 8

iPHONE 4S

Design 8
    Display 10
    Camera 9
    Reception 7
    Performance 8
    Software 9
    Battery Life 8
    Ecosystem 10

7. Sangdushi macrumors regular

damnit Google, WHY YOU DO DIS?!

I set my mind on getting the 4s. now I can't make a purchase decision without buyers remorse and thinking what if :(

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wired just put out their in-depth review of ICS and they also were quite impressed...

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

10. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

I think Google has finally did it. first android phone that isn't a piece of crap and may very well be the best phone in the market...

this is huge, never thought I would see the day. almost kind of sad

11. naths macrumors 6502

Had a play with one today,and a nokia lumia,the nexus is big,but bloody hell what a piece of kit,its very fast, looks and feels superb and ICS is a revalation!!...and in my opinion the Nokia has to be the best looking and feeling in the hand, phone i'v ever held,...oh dear apple,nokia and samsung have released phones that look and feel so much better than the 4S,and so close to the release of the 4S,Apple are going to be so far behind these two manufacturers in a years time i begin to wonder if they will ever catch up,personally i don't think they will,software and hardware wise,IOS is now looking very very stale compared to mango and ICS....

12. daneoni, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

^^
    ...except people have been saying that since the Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy S, N8 and X device came out. Yet...

 still raking it in $$$$$$$$$$.

Don't get me wrong i like the phone, just the way i like the GSII, Droid RAZR, Nokia's N9/Lumia 800 etc. But i'm just bored of reading "X device is soo great,  has been left behind, how will they ever catch up" everytime this/that flagship from X company is released.

After all, its not like  will sit on their asses twiddling their thumbs for the next 12 months.

Yes the competition will improve and rightly so...but so too will .

13. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

The kid in me will always prefer iOS, but the geek in me is lusting after ice cream sandwich!

14. mpossoff macrumors 68020

15. Funkymonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

dude, don't start the $$$$$$$ crap. mac heads have also known for a long time that mac os is better than windows but for a very long time windows made more money. back then windoh fans would give the $$$$$$ argument.

16. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

So looks like both Apple and google have put forward their best creations and they are certainly both amazing.

Now the ball is in RIM and Microsoft's court. Let's see how long does it take both to make an amazing device running WP7 or BBX.

Competition is good :)

17. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Pretty sure it'll be exclusive to Verizon for a while, but if you can get an unlocked version it'll work on both AT&T and T-Mobile's 3G.

18. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Or if you cannot wait, you could try importing one from Canada. Bell is releasing this in early December and Rogers and Telus early January. All three are compatible with AT&T.

Also it is worth noting that the phone is pentaband. Meaning you can use it on T-mo as well.

19. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Except that in the US we have to take the ************* put up by the greedy carriers. News says there will be Verizon bloatware on the Verizon version, which means any OS update has to go through Verizon.
    I don't really give a ***** about Verizon since I'm on ATT, but they really need to sell a carrier free version along with them.

20. macinnv macrumors regular

Correct, the Engadget review they states this is the first pentaband android phone and will support both ATT and T-Mobile HSPA+.

My only gripe with this phone is the size. If you go on Phone Arena you can compare the size to your current phone. Its massive compared to the 4S and a bit bigger than my current android.

21. BiggAW macrumors 68030

I like the size of the iPhone a lot better. I'm sure that ICS will suck once the manufacturers get their grimy little hands on it. That, and Samsung's build quality and RF performance absolutely suck. I had a pretty bad experience with my Samsung Captivate.

If I ever go back to Android, I'll probably switch to Verizon and get a Motorola DROID.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I have a skyrocket, Samsung has already stated it will get ICS early part of 2012. How does one take a Rodgers Nexus and activate it on AT&T? Just bring it in to a corporate store?

23. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

whilst the 4S is a brilliant phone, this should keep Apple on their toes to release something huge next year.

24. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

competition is always good.

next time Apple will release the iPhone after testing the batterygate.

Well, i always will be with iOS no change bought into the iTunes ecosystem.

25. naths macrumors 6502

Don't think the nexus will have any bloatware on it....thats the point of the Nexus name.....just pure Android,no carrier crap,i;m in the UK and certainly all the UK carriers won't have any on....the Nexus one or the Nexus S never did,i would be pretty sure that Google have said to Verizon or whoever in the US gets the Nexus,just leave it as or no phone for you to sell?...