Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deafgoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
I recently purchased two Thunderbot Dislpays for my 2011 Mac Mini 2.5Ghz. I wanted to raise the monitors a little and also achieve a cleaner look so I decided to wall mount them.

I ordered the VESA 100 adapters from Apple and wall mounts from MonoPrice.

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Very nice! So I take it that you drilled holes into your wall to get the tb cables through? How does it look from the other side of the wall?

deafgoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Very nice! So I take it that you drilled holes into your wall to get the tb cables through? How does it look from the other side of the wall?

Yep. I installed two wall plates to run the power cables and I need to get an extension cable for the thunderbolt to connect to my mini.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Why have the Mac on the desk at all? Does it even have an Optical drive in it? And even if it did, do you really use it that much? How about a small rack hanging below the desk for the computer? It'll be out of sight.

If you need USB access, maybe there's a small attractive USB hub you can put on the desk. And you need some nice looking speakers.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Why have the Mac on the desk at all? Does it even have an Optical drive in it? And even if it did, do you really use it that much? How about a small rack hanging below the desk for the computer? It'll be out of sight.

If you need USB access, maybe there's a small attractive USB hub you can put on the desk. And you need some nice looking speakers.

I agree. I'd hide the Mac, throw one of these in the desk and call it a day.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10307&cs_id=1030702&p_id=6439&seq=1&format=2

4242059f-ab15-1a31.jpg

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Great setup!! Very classy.

And why would you hide the Mac Mini? You'd still need to reach it every time to turn it on, and to plug stuff in.

obey908

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
San Francisco
In the third picture it looks like the piece that the iMac stand and wall mount piece attach to went back inside the iMac.

How did you get it back out? I took off my wall mount to put the stand back on and that piece went back inside the iMac and I can't get it out.

deafgoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011

I need access to the SD card slot because I take lots of pictures in my studio that is behind my desk. I also think the mini is beautiful and should be shown off.

can you post a link for the wall mounts?

Apple Vesa Adapters:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD179ZM/A

Wall mounts:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1082802&p_id=8095&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

In the third picture it looks like the piece that the iMac stand and wall mount piece attach to went back inside the iMac.

How did you get it back out? I took off my wall mount to put the stand back on and that piece went back inside the iMac and I can't get it out.

That piece did not go back in, that is what it looks like fully extended out. If you lost it, you will need to take off the front glass and remove the LCD. That will give you access the mechanism.

obey908

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
San Francisco
That piece did not go back in, that is what it looks like fully extended out. If you lost it, you will need to take off the front glass and remove the LCD. That will give you access the mechanism.

I know :( I have an appointment with apple tn. Hope it doesn't cost too much.

Set up looks great, btw

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
Ace pics. I am about mount my ACD on a Humanscale stand. This has given me even more encouragement :)

Can I ask how you removed the stand as I cannot see the screws shown on your first pic?

deafgoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Ace pics. I am about mount my ACD on a Humanscale stand. This has given me even more encouragement :)

Can I ask how you removed the stand as I cannot see the screws shown on your first pic?

The Apple VESA Adapters included a thin credit card sized piece of plastic. That is what you shove into the monitor to push the latch inside to get access to those screws.

You can't just use a bank card or credit card because its too thick. If you can find something thin enough, your golden.

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
The Apple VESA Adapters included a thin credit card sized piece of plastic. That is what you shove into the monitor to push the latch inside to get access to those screws.

You can't just use a bank card or credit card because its too thick. If you can find something thin enough, your golden.

Ah that's so clever and so apple. I love it. Thanks for that.

I've not opened the box, yet I need to make sure I can find my humanscale mount in the loft before starting on the weekend.

jbjones85

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2011
wow that looks really good. Maybe my holiday bonus will be higher than normal and I can pick one of these displays up. I'm jealous.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
very nice. I too would like the make of the chair and a link if possible.

I am also going for the dual TBD set up, but if I do decide to mount them I will use a different mount to give me access to the back of them. I give you a 10 for style and simplicity, but my OCD requires I move things around at least weekly.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.