Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
hi everyone,
what do you think the chances are that the next iPad will have an option for 128GB? i rarely use my macbook since i bought an iPad, but the only thing thats stopping me from selling it is the lack of storage on the iPad. At the moment my whole iTunes (with apps) is about 100GB, and whether i have an iPad or a macbook, i really want to carry around the whole library.

if they do include a higher res display on the next iPad, i guess it'll be very difficult to increase the storage capacity as well, and stay at a similar price point.

let me know what you think,

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
It's possible... But will not happen ... 64GB I think will be end for the next generation of iDevices.
The hope is in the cloud. We will see 128 GB IF after one year of cloud it does not deliver to expectation

IPhone will get 64gb ...

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Moore's law says these devices will continue to grow in capacity. The storage space they gain doesn't have to be on them though. If they have WiFi/3G they have access to cloud storage. My entire music collection is on Google Music's servers. I can access it using any web browser including safari on my Touch or iPad. There is an app for it on Android. Any photos I bother to upload to the web I can also find and view on any web-connected device. YouTube does videos for a few million. Other video sites chip in. I'm not sure anyone will need more than app space, and if the iDevices had been about web-apps as Steve intented them to be even Apps wouldn't be needing much for local storage space.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
I am hoping cuz if it happens I will buy one, its the space thats keeping me from buying one.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
I can see it happening. The way the memory manufacturers increase the storage capacity, it works out that apple can double it every 18 months or so. The iPad 2 came out after just 12, the next update will likely be 24 months, so they could either cut costs or double capacity at that point.

And iCloud.. yes, but do apple offer 128GB of storage? And do you REALLY want to stream 128GB of data over a wireless (possibly 3G with a small monthly data allowance!) link? Things like games are getting bigger, and they definitely won't run over the internet! Even streaming a HD video can be too much for a lot of internet connections, can you imagine the complaints apple would get if that was the default option?!

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
And iCloud.. yes, but do apple offer 128GB of storage? And do you REALLY want to stream 128GB of data over a wireless (possibly 3G with a small monthly data allowance!) link? Things like games are getting bigger, and they definitely won't run over the internet! Even streaming a HD video can be too much for a lot of internet connections, can you imagine the complaints apple would get if that was the default option?!

iCloud isn't streaming; nobody would need to download 128 GB of data at once; if people are patient enough to buy movies on iTunes then they will be patient enough to get them from iCloud on-demand, or will be able to store them on-board anyway. Why would anyone need to run a game 'over the internet'? It may be feasible to offer a 128GB iPad but at some point the returns will significantly diminish.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
hi everyone,
what do you think the chances are that the next iPad will have an option for 128GB? i rarely use my macbook since i bought an iPad, but the only thing thats stopping me from selling it is the lack of storage on the iPad. At the moment my whole iTunes (with apps) is about 100GB, and whether i have an iPad or a macbook, i really want to carry around the whole library.

if they do include a higher res display on the next iPad, i guess it'll be very difficult to increase the storage capacity as well, and stay at a similar price point.

let me know what you think,

I just bought a 500gb Seagate GoFlex Satellite. Creates its own wifi, so you can connect to it on your iPad without using your data, and without needing any kind of cables. I copied my iTunes library to it (about 220gb) and now I can access all of my movies and tv shows without having to store them directly on the iPad. The HD comes with a car charger as well, in case you are traveling.

At $199, it's likely a better deal that paying more for an iPad with more storage - I'd check it out!

Seagate Satellite Web Page

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
iCloud isn't streaming; nobody would need to download 128 GB of data at once; if people are patient enough to buy movies on iTunes then they will be patient enough to get them from iCloud on-demand, or will be able to store them on-board anyway. Why would anyone need to run a game 'over the internet'? It may be feasible to offer a 128GB iPad but at some point the returns will significantly diminish.

Agreed, but a lot of people seem to have the perception that all their data will be on iCloud and we'll end up with 8gb (or less!) iPads. It's not going to happen any time soon. Other companies are doing this kind of thing, and it's fine so long as you have a really fast, reliable internet connection... which doesn't exist once you step away from a wired connection. No way would apple consider this (yet!).

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
WTH do you need a 128gb iPad for? I am using the 16gb, not bc of price or anything, and i only fill up about half of that storage. The max i would get is a 32gb and even then i find it alot of space. Excuse my language in the beginning, it just amazes me.

emieczko

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
WTH do you need a 128gb iPad for? I am using the 16gb, not bc of price or anything, and i only fill up about half of that storage. The max i would get is a 32gb and even then i find it alot of space. Excuse my language in the beginning, it just amazes me.

I travel internationally, which means I spend long hours in aircraft without wifi and time in airports and on foreign soil where wifi is either expensive or unavailable.

I also do a lot of hobby photography and synch RAW image files to my iPad using Photosmith and the CCK.

More native storage would be a HUGE selling feature for me.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

As the other poster noted, you're not always at home or near a reliable Internet connection. Travel outside the US for a week or two and you'll see how added on-board storage has value. The Seagate Satellite shows promise, but a little more in-iPad storage is pretty useful.

Larpy

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
I'm in the same boat as the two people above. I travel a lot and for extended periods. I take a lot of photos and my wife and I listen to music pretty much from the moment we wake until we go to sleep. Also when we travel it would be Great to have a bunch of movies. The cloud, as stated, would be a very expensive way to have access to all of your media.

I'm looking at the seagate but have seen bad reviews on amazon. Like too hear others people experiences with it!

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
I'm in the same boat as the two people above. I travel a lot and for extended periods. I take a lot of photos and my wife and I listen to music pretty much from the moment we wake until we go to sleep. Also when we travel it would be Great to have a bunch of movies. The cloud, as stated, would be a very expensive way to have access to all of your media.

I'm looking at the seagate but have seen bad reviews on amazon. Like too hear others people experiences with it!
Listen, as much as some people on this forum want to believe iCloud can just "take over from there", you'll see a 128GB iPad sometime down the road. I can guarantee it. :cool:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Listen, as much as some people on this forum want to believe iCloud can just "take over from there", you'll see a 128GB iPad sometime down the road. I can guarantee it. :cool:

I would say that next year we'll see a 128GB model.

iCloud is one thing. Direct storage on a device is another.

I think Apple will give the cloud a try and will even adopt the methods behind. The current iCloud with a simple device synchronization functionality will not be the final version; my assumption is that we get a better and more selective device-specific transfer of files incl streaming for those with good mobile connection.

Why else I think no 128 GB in next generation ? To my understanding we still face short supply for flash memory; also caused by the disaster in Japan in March impacting the wafer production. Plus Apple sells quite some MBA now. Of course they have long term contract and enough to keep the current level. The next-next cycle is different, 128GB iPad 4 very possible.

And I'm sure I will get one: 128GB Retina iPad 4 with Quad Core and 1.5 GB RAM, in black.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Im waiting for the iPad TB. One whole terabyte of flash storage goodness. It will come out with the dual-quad 5GHz processor and 16GB of RAM running OS XI in 2015... :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.