128GB model discussion

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tac22, Jan 22, 2011.

?

How much storage do you "need" in "your" iPad, cost not an issue

1. 16GB

28 vote(s)
    15.1%
  2. 32GB

43 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. 64GB

36 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. 128Gb

41 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. I have so much stuff I could put on my iPad that 128GB is still limiting

37 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. tac22 macrumors 6502

Some are assuming we will deffinetly get a 128GB iPad, others haven't thought about it, I'm making this thread for the sake of discussion.

To begin I will quickly explain to people who don't know.
    The iPad and IPod touch uses 2 flash chips*
    So their 64 GB models are made up of two 32GB chips
    The iPhone only uses 1 chip*, so 32GB is one 32GB chip

Apple has yet to use a 64GB chip in an iOS device but if I remember correctly 64GB flash chips did start going into production last winter or spring, however they are more expensive of course, though I don't know how much more.

I don't think it unreasonable to think they will have a 128GB iPad when the second iPad is announced. The iPad will probablyly benefit the most from the increase as well (thouh of course I think there is a minority of people that need 128GB) but I also think it could go either way, and apple may not, but this is why I started this thread, so we can discuss it.

* some people may argue that apple could increase the number of flash chips in the iPad, but they havent in the past for the iPhone or iPod touch, so for the sake of this thread let's assume the iPad will still only have 2 flash chips

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is there even a need for such large storage on the iPad, especially given there's no file system.

I mean after you do your uber-nerd thing and show off how much superior the 128gb iPad is, how would the 128gb iPad be that much more useful then the 64gb.

My wife as the 16GB model and to be honest, we would struggle to fill that up, if it weren't for some music and videos. I can't imagine how much wasted space the 128gb would have, i.e., unused.

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Two things would tell me no to this one.

As people say here again and again. Apple aim products for the general consumer, and combined with the giant markup Apple charge for memory upgrades on the iPad and also the iMac, I'd guess a 128MB model would be priced out of the range the majority of people would be willing to pay.

4. tac22 thread starter macrumors 6502

I personally have no need for a 128GB. I have a 64GB right now, and it's filled to 38GB, with only like 3 movies (it's mostly apps on it, and some music)

So 64 is plenty. (i could live with 32GB, but I would have to constraint stuff)

Okay for those who think almost no one would need a 128GB iPad, do you think the same for a 128GB iPod touch. I ask this because I see plenty of people complaining about not having that much in the current iPod touch. Do you think an iPod actually needs more?

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Personally I'd say yes, there is a need for 128GB and even that is too low for most people.

The current memory sizes are fine for Apps and SOME data, but many people have too many music files, photo's and especially movies to hold in their iPad, so they have to pick and choose a small selection of what they own to store on the device.

We have two problems:

1: We are at the very early days of solid state memory, so size and price is still not great.

2: this is compounded by Apple massively overcharging customers for the memory in their devices.

In the UK Apple charge customers just over £100. That's $160 US Dollars for the 32GB between the 32 and 64GB iPads.

The component cost of this 32GB is supposed to be $59 almost a year ago. So there is around $100 dollar markup on this memory difference alone.

6. Apple..., Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Food for thought: what about Apple's upcoming cloud services (i.e. music streaming, improved MobileMe, etc.)?

Btw, who actually needs 128GB? And for what?

Edit: Thanks!

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

1: Not sure about the USA, but in the UK the problem right now with cloud storage is. Price or storage & speed of upload.

2: Music, Photos, Movies.

8. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

It'll be interesting to see what Apple's solution is. Music, photos, and movies - yeah, but how much do you have? 128GB is a lot.

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Music, Photo's and Videos?

Many many times 128GB :)

Movies obviously take up the most space.

I don't really store much of any of these on my iPad as there is no point really. It just takes up space for no reason, but of course, it would be nice if I could.
    One day perhaps :)

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Price prohibitive.

Especially considering all the upgrades it will receive.

11. utl768 macrumors 6502

with netflix streaming and youtube 128 gb is useless really

i bought a 32gb ipad just cuz i thought id run out of space and now i regret not saving 100 and just getting the 16

12. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

I'm thinking Apple will do this when it releases the iPad.

Apple will still offer the iPad 1 for 400 or 350 dollars with 16GB flash storage. Likely will only offer it in Wi-Fi, so no 3g/wifi model.

Then there will be the iPad 2 which will start at 32GB flash storage, there will be the wi-fi model for $500 and likely two wifi/3g models (one CDMA and the other GSM) these models will likely sell for $600 dollars.

Then there will be another iPad 2 with 64GB starting at $600 dollars for wifi, then the 3g/wifi models for verizon and ATT will be $700 dollars.

Honestly I don't think it is likely that there will be a 128GB iPad 2. If there is one i assume it will be $700 dollars wifi, $800 dollars for 3g models.

Apple might wait until iPad 3 when they release the retina display, since apps will have a lot larger file sizes since the graphics will be 4x the size and with Apple making that huge data center one can only think that they might be pushing cloud space instead of physical flash space in 2011.

13. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Once Apple steps forward with their iTunes streaming service and improved MobileMe, 32GB is all I will need. You'd be able to stream movies, music and photos through a cloud, so what else would you use 128GB for?

On a different note, when do you think the capacity will "max out"? 128GB is a lot. Will they stop at 256GB eventually?

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

As I say, uploading is the problem with the cloud.
    How long would it take you to upload a 1080p movie of say about 8GB ?

15. Terminal.app macrumors 6502

Terminal.app

My iPod touch 64 GB is completely full, I could probably fill up 256 GB or more.

:eek:

16. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I don't store media on my ipad, i stream it at 16 gb

that said if the next gen is much faster, i'd be tempted to go to the top, so I could dump photocards onto it..

that that said.. it's cheaper to buy more memory cards.. and better in terms of not having a single point of failure so maybe i should have voted for 16 gb.
    lol

17. h00ligan macrumors 68030

piggie - usa is not much better than uk for that level of storage.. though bandwidth is substantially cheaper here.

i'm an expat who goes home here and there.. and while the uk is moving forward.. transfer is still expensive.. though storage is pretty universal.

18. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

iPad blows as an iPod. Why load it up with music? Real iPods are far better. My 3rd gen Nano fits in my pocket, and in the center console of the car (where the input plug is conveniently located).

I have a 32 gig wifi, hardly ever have over 16 gigs on it. I manages my movies and TV shows.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Funny you mention that, I was wondering the same thing. I guess if you're commuting, reading or doing something. Its easier to use one device instead of dealing with multiple.

20. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

There is a file system its called folders and how does a dile system not withstanding the os and other already installed components, make it any more necessary to have huge harddrives over thhe ipad where each hd itunes movie is like 4 gb? How many movies and big games could you store if you do a lot of traveling on an iPad? Heck, u cant even transfer game saves.

21. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Your computer will still probably have to be turned on an not in sleep mode bexause wake on line doesnt seem to work for me at least not with splashtop remote. Plus like splashtope remote many of these apps are local wifi only and u cant use it across the world and there is a delaY when watching a movie as it streams, its no fun.

22. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

I dont get why apple doesnt let us connect iphones or ipods to the ipad and just use the iphone or ipod as a storage device. It would even improve their sales of varied hardwareand all it woule take is a connector from them.

23. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I have 4 of 16gb used with apps, movies and music.

24. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I've got 16GB worth of apps alone. Add to that 20GB of music, 5GB of video podcasts, 6-7GB worth of pictures at any given time, and that leaves very little room for movies. 128GB would be a no-brainer for me.

When I go on a trip, I like to load my iPad up with 8-10 HD movies (Blu-Ray rips encoded in Apple's own iFrame format, just like in iTunes) at 3-4GB a piece, depending on the duration of the plane ride and stay. So 128GB would be heavenly.

25. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

If I am commuting or doing something, iPod is in my pocket. That is soooo much easier than try to fool with the iPad. When reading, I focus on reading, no music or podcast are being played.

Now I do use the Mediafly on e iPad.