128GB Necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dalthicks, Oct 5, 2015.

1. dalthicks macrumors member

dalthicks

I am about to head to my local Sprint store to pick up my iPhone 6s. I opted to get this phone over the 6s+ after weeks of comparison. My question - how many of you find it necessary to have 128GB of storage? I have gotten by with 16GB in the past, but it was hard to do. I have the option to go 128GB now, but I don't know if it's a move that will be worth the value. What do you all think?

D

2. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

I think it depends on what and how much you'll be planning to store on the phone.

My last phone was 16GB, and it was a pain for me to have to manage storage after about a year.

My current phone is 128GB, and I'm glad. I no longer have to worry about managing storage. Before a week was up, I had already used up more than 50% of the storage due to music.

3. MDePew24 macrumors regular

MDePew24

I like my 128GB for the same reason as ultravisitor. I don't have to worry about my storage at all. I've always picked the largest storage capacity for that reason.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

I find it unnecessary. I have the 64gb and have about 20gb currently free. But a big thing is that I don't store music on my device and use iTunes Match instead. If you like to store tons of music or videos then you might need 128gb. The 20gb that I have free should be enough to handle whatever photos I take and videos I record for the the next year.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's necessary if you need it. I don't but then I don't store music on my phone. 64GB is sufficient for my videos and photos, plus I can transfer some to cloud storage or my computer.

6. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

If you're used to living in a 16GB phone, I doubt you "need" 128GB. I've used 64GB phones for as long as Apple has been providing them, and never wished for more. But I don't watch TV shows or movies on my phone.

C

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Necessary? Not for me. At all.

Is 128GB what I wanted? Yes. So, I got it anyway. It is the very rare occasion where what I want lines up with necessity.

8. melman101 macrumors 68030

I got the 128gb and I am not upset in the least bit. I've been taking 4K videos like what. I also got the plus size though.

9. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

128GB is great for me because I have lots of music, videos, and photos

10. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

Not everybody needs the 128GB else it would be the base model, I think it's one of those things where if you need it, you know. That said, I would recommend to anybody that they go for 64GB over 16GB.

11. Will22, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015

Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

If you were just about okay with 16gb then I'm sure you would get past easily with 64gb as it is over 4 times the amount of usable storage.

Both my 6 and 6s are 128gb and my 6 has over 100gb of music on it.

12. melman101 macrumors 68030

I'm confused by this. He is getting the 6S

13. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I bought the 128GB not because I can't live without it day-to-day. But boy, when I do need it, I miss it. A few years ago, I took the family out to Yellowstone Park. The phone filled up by day 2 and I had to spend a lot of time trying to organize and delete pictures instead of enjoying my time out. And ofcourse, there was no "cloud" to save me then.

14. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

And how much storage did you have on that phone? What was being used to fill your storage space then? And even a few years ago, there was plenty of "cloud" options, like DropBox, OneDrive, etc...

C

15. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

128GB for me is basically just incase..i have about 88GB spare right now so you could say well is it needed? maybe not but with 128GB i can keep live photos on and when i use 4K recording i won't be worrying about space.

16. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

So want to break out the Dodgeball quote...
    ANYWAY ... I'm coming from 64GB to 128GB, mainly because of emails with attachments end up in my mailbox, plus with Apple Music, I end up making all songs "Available Offline", as its nice to be able to forward as much as I want without hitting the end of the temp buffer and having the next song load from internet / 4G LTE. In any case, it's a nice to have when you know you're going to end up with a bunch of data that you won't have the time cleaning up because the iPhone complains "not enough space available". But if you're totally up for managing and running everything streaming, then it's not necessary. Sterile though ...

17. Rackness01 macrumors member

It is needed for my usage but your mileage may vary.

18. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

The same for me. My phones, going back to the 3G, were always 16GB. I started to have to delete apps often over the last few months. I was thinking about "only" getting the 64GB, but figured for only $5 more a month, why not get the 128GB. I'm happy I did.

19. sumiregusa macrumors member

sumiregusa

Not that my sig makes it a huge mystery, but I always jump for 128GB when possible. Just works for my needs.

As an aside, I like knowing my gadgets can handle anything I throw at them. Not to say I like being wasteful, but having lots of baseline storage eliminates the constant need for checking up on how your gadget is functioning. I normally go for a high or the highest option available since it's always the best investment.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is one of the reasons (there when you need it) I get the most Apple offers at any given time.

I also tend to use my iPhone as a glorified thumb drive whenever there is a current jailbreak which lets me mount the file system as a network share.

21. Connor163 macrumors member

I got 128gb last year for my 6 plus and filled it up within 4 months. So for me I almost had to get it this time.

22. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

23. coney718 macrumors regular

I don't think it's necessary but that's just me. I don't need to store my entire music library and every photo I ever took in the past 10 years on my phone. My last iPhone was 64Gb and I always had about 20 Gb left.

24. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

That was a 16GB phone. And all the "clouds" in the world can't reach you in Yellowstone.

25. dalthicks thread starter macrumors member

dalthicks

Well I would like to thank everyone for the help. I opted for the 128GB. I like the thought of never worrying about it again. Will I ever use it all? We will see. But I would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks again!