128GB Necessary?

dalthicks

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Loganville, GA
I am about to head to my local Sprint store to pick up my iPhone 6s. I opted to get this phone over the 6s+ after weeks of comparison. My question - how many of you find it necessary to have 128GB of storage? I have gotten by with 16GB in the past, but it was hard to do. I have the option to go 128GB now, but I don't know if it's a move that will be worth the value. What do you all think?

D

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think it depends on what and how much you'll be planning to store on the phone.

My last phone was 16GB, and it was a pain for me to have to manage storage after about a year.

My current phone is 128GB, and I'm glad. I no longer have to worry about managing storage. Before a week was up, I had already used up more than 50% of the storage due to music.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I find it unnecessary. I have the 64gb and have about 20gb currently free. But a big thing is that I don't store music on my device and use iTunes Match instead. If you like to store tons of music or videos then you might need 128gb. The 20gb that I have free should be enough to handle whatever photos I take and videos I record for the the next year.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It's necessary if you need it. I don't but then I don't store music on my phone. 64GB is sufficient for my videos and photos, plus I can transfer some to cloud storage or my computer.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
If you're used to living in a 16GB phone, I doubt you "need" 128GB. I've used 64GB phones for as long as Apple has been providing them, and never wished for more. But I don't watch TV shows or movies on my phone.

C

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
I am about to head to my local Sprint store to pick up my iPhone 6s. I opted to get this phone over the 6s+ after weeks of comparison. My question - how many of you find it necessary to have 128GB of storage? I have gotten by with 16GB in the past, but it was hard to do. I have the option to go 128GB now, but I don't know if it's a move that will be worth the value. What do you all think?

D
Necessary? Not for me. At all.

Is 128GB what I wanted? Yes. So, I got it anyway. It is the very rare occasion where what I want lines up with necessity.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I got the 128gb and I am not upset in the least bit. I've been taking 4K videos like what. I also got the plus size though.

Reactions: ziggo

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
Not everybody needs the 128GB else it would be the base model, I think it's one of those things where if you need it, you know. That said, I would recommend to anybody that they go for 64GB over 16GB.

Reactions: melman101

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
If you were just about okay with 16gb then I'm sure you would get past easily with 64gb as it is over 4 times the amount of usable storage.

Both my 6 and 6s are 128gb and my 6 has over 100gb of music on it.

Last edited:

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Another thing to think about(although I'm sure you have at length) is the 6s, I would always recommend getting the latest. The 2gb of ram really does make a difference.

If you were just about okay with 16gb then I'm sure you would get past easily with 64gb as it is over 4 times the amount of usable storage.

Both my 6 and 6s are 128gb and my 6 has over 100gb of music on it.
I'm confused by this. He is getting the 6S

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
I bought the 128GB not because I can't live without it day-to-day. But boy, when I do need it, I miss it. A few years ago, I took the family out to Yellowstone Park. The phone filled up by day 2 and I had to spend a lot of time trying to organize and delete pictures instead of enjoying my time out. And ofcourse, there was no "cloud" to save me then.

Reactions: eyoungren

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I bought the 128GB not because I can't live without it day-to-day. But boy, when I do need it, I miss it. A few years ago, I took the family out to Yellowstone Park. The phone filled up by day 2 and I had to spend a lot of time trying to organize and delete pictures instead of enjoying my time out. And ofcourse, there was no "cloud" to save me then.
And how much storage did you have on that phone? What was being used to fill your storage space then? And even a few years ago, there was plenty of "cloud" options, like DropBox, OneDrive, etc...

C

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
128GB for me is basically just incase..i have about 88GB spare right now so you could say well is it needed? maybe not but with 128GB i can keep live photos on and when i use 4K recording i won't be worrying about space.

Reactions: TechnicallyTee

aesc80

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2015
So want to break out the Dodgeball quote...
Peter La Fleur: [after Patches hits Justin in the face with a wrench] Yeah, uh, Patches... are you sure that this is completely necessary?
Patches O'Houlihan: Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine?
Peter La Fleur: Probably not.
Patches O'Houlihan: No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste.
ANYWAY ... I'm coming from 64GB to 128GB, mainly because of emails with attachments end up in my mailbox, plus with Apple Music, I end up making all songs "Available Offline", as its nice to be able to forward as much as I want without hitting the end of the temp buffer and having the next song load from internet / 4G LTE. In any case, it's a nice to have when you know you're going to end up with a bunch of data that you won't have the time cleaning up because the iPhone complains "not enough space available". But if you're totally up for managing and running everything streaming, then it's not necessary. Sterile though ...

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
I think it depends on what and how much you'll be planning to store on the phone.

My last phone was 16GB, and it was a pain for me to have to manage storage after about a year.

My current phone is 128GB, and I'm glad. I no longer have to worry about managing storage. Before a week was up, I had already used up more than 50% of the storage due to music.
The same for me. My phones, going back to the 3G, were always 16GB. I started to have to delete apps often over the last few months. I was thinking about "only" getting the 64GB, but figured for only $5 more a month, why not get the 128GB. I'm happy I did.

sumiregusa

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2013
Not that my sig makes it a huge mystery, but I always jump for 128GB when possible. Just works for my needs.

As an aside, I like knowing my gadgets can handle anything I throw at them. Not to say I like being wasteful, but having lots of baseline storage eliminates the constant need for checking up on how your gadget is functioning. I normally go for a high or the highest option available since it's always the best investment.

Reactions: engelke2010

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
This is one of the reasons (there when you need it) I get the most Apple offers at any given time.

I also tend to use my iPhone as a glorified thumb drive whenever there is a current jailbreak which lets me mount the file system as a network share.

Connor163

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
I got 128gb last year for my 6 plus and filled it up within 4 months. So for me I almost had to get it this time.

coney718

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2014
I don't think it's necessary but that's just me. I don't need to store my entire music library and every photo I ever took in the past 10 years on my phone. My last iPhone was 64Gb and I always had about 20 Gb left.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
And how much storage did you have on that phone? What was being used to fill your storage space then? And even a few years ago, there was plenty of "cloud" options, like DropBox, OneDrive, etc...

C
That was a 16GB phone. And all the "clouds" in the world can't reach you in Yellowstone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.