Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGobbleoff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2011
So I’m about to drop some coin on some RAM for my cMP. Is the OWC kit still the best one to look at, or any recommendations for eBay sellers who are selling the same?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
So I’m about to drop some coin on some RAM for my cMP. Is the OWC kit still the best one to look at, or any recommendations for eBay sellers who are selling the same?
OWC is usually the "best" at emptying your checking account (or card balance). Other vendors usually have the same part at better prices.

And for the cMP - those systems are ancient in computer years, and similar systems are being "eWasted" at a high rate. You can get "server pulls" on eBay for a tiny fraction of OWC prices.

And did you mean "128 GiB RAM"? Or did you mean 16 GiB RAM as you stated? (128 gb == 16 GiB)

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I agree server pulls are the way to go. You will save hundreds of dollars. Look for "ddr3 8x16gb ecc". Pick a seller doing a lot of RAM so he can replace if there's a bad stick. Run a memory test after installation.

If you absolutely had to buy new for some reason, DMS has treated me well so I'd get 8 of these:
https://www.datamemorysystems.com/dm61-765/

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.