12in MacBook rattle

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Daum, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Daum macrumors member

I noticed that my mac made a sound as I picked it up. At first I thought it might be the haptic motor but I turned the Mac off and same thing.

It seems to be coming from the screen because if I hold the screen while shaking, it doesn't make a sound.

Anyone else have this problem?

See video link below

View My Video

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No, speak to Apple they will likely replace it.

Q-6

3. Daum thread starter macrumors member

I'm sure they will too. just wanted to know if this was a widespread problem or just my unit. I really don't want to move stuff to a new computer. Time consuming. :(

4. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

5. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I've had problems with my MBPr like that but I'm good now.

Other forum members have too. And even a display model I saw has a creak.

If it bothers you, Apple will def make it right. Give them a call. There great with these things!!

6. TheNotoriousMAZ macrumors newbie

Time Machine and swap it out with Apple. They really couldn't make it any easier.

7. abusinger macrumors newbie

Mine makes the same sound but not quite as bad. My screen also creaks on the right side. I took it into the Geniuses yesterday for the screen creak and they weren't able to replace it because they don't carry the 1.3 256 model in stock.

I either have to return it and order a new one and wait 3-4 weeks with no computer or have them do a screen replacement.

I had them order the screen but i just discovered the rattle and it sounds like it could be coming from the screen or something else, its hard to pinpoint. I think I'm going to take it back to the store and have them look at it again. I really just want a replacement, its barely 2 week old and already seems to have a couple issues. Is it normal they can't replace certain BTO models?

As for OP, take it in and have them look at it. Its not just your computer with the problem.

AB

8. agmck macrumors newbie

Hey Daum,

Did you end up going to the apple store? If so let me know what they said about your situation. My gold 1.2/512 also has the very same rattling. Consciously I didn't actually realise it until I saw this thread, but mine's been doing that pretty much since day one. Curious to hear how your resolved your situation. Now that I hear mine rattling I can't "unhear" it anymore! So annoying...

Regards,

Agm

9. thadoggfather, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015

thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

10. gooseta macrumors member

gooseta

Hi, did they mention how long it would take to replace the screen or laptop (I have a 1.2 model), as mine also has a screen creak.

11. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I wouldn't say its so much a rattle as a click, almost thought it was sudden motion sensor (on mechanical hard drive macbook pros) or like the force touch staying on axis or something, but i dunno.

oh well

with apple, gotta learn to pick your battles i suppose when it comes to QC.

my 6+ screen clicks in top left if pressed and the power button has gotten mushier, but the screen on both these devices are BEAUTIFUL so no friggin way I'm leaving anything to chance

12. BarrettF77 macrumors newbie

I think it is the force touch mechanism under the track pad. I've noticed it doesn't do it when the laptop is powered, but when sleeping, it will make the sound. Just a thought.

13. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

I have just checked my 1.3Ghz Space Grey rMB and its doing the same. I swear it sound like it is coming from the screen however; I'm taking it back tomorrow. If it is one of the internal batteries coming loose it will only get worse with time.

14. micqo macrumors member

After 3 days my new Mac start makes some noise. Loose screws or something else - what u think?

A couple links to my videos,

15. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

Definitely take it back. Take advantage of the 14 day no-questions-asked return policy.

16. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Just to finish off my involvement with this thread:

I took my rMB back to my local Stormfromt Store (A UK premium reseller). I also pointed out that mine had developed a vibration when plugged into the mains on charge. I am an electrical engineer by trade and I suspected that it was poor earthing somewhere, perhaps connected to the rattle, because the metal body shouldn't vibrate whatsoever. When I unplugged it the vibration went away, and it was the same when using a different Apple charger.

Stormfromt didn't argue and they took it back for a replacement however; because mine was a CTO, I was faced with another 6 weeks delay in receiving a replacement. My business would not stand for that so I exchanged it for a rMBP.

I know you can't compare two different machines but I was happy to exchange it for a 2.9Ghz 13"

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

All Mac Portables have tendency to "vibrate" you are correct it is related to earthing. with the MacBook Pro`s the provided extension lead provides the ground connection. Same as the larger MacBooks the Retina MacBook`s power supply is not grounded pull off the mains adapter it`s obvious, ground is only present when the extension lead is connected.

Q-6

18. nalbagli macrumors 6502

My Macbook is not doing that sounds, but it does have like a "click" on one of the sides of the hinge whenever I move the screen or when I open or close the computer. Has anyone else had this problem?

19. bljr macrumors newbie

Mine is a 2015 Retina Macbook 12in. I also have this rattling noise. It appears to be coming from screen, but I am not sure what I should do as I am in India.

20. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

I had the same problem with my rMB 1.3GHz. When it was repaired, they replaced the screen twice, so it must be coming from the screen. In general, they all rattle to some degree.

21. gooseta macrumors member

gooseta

Have had mine since release and has been working perfectly apart from the screen which cracked, was replaced for free and it still rattles, but not really too worried anymore.

22. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

It's really weird that this problem was started in 2015 and 2 years later in 2017 still no real solution or explanation for it.

Mine started that loud rattling noise after Apple replaced the screen for different reason.

So I took it back to Apple and they don't really know what is causing the noise and rattle,they said there is no moving parts except in the touchpad.
    But it's not the touchpad.

They are going to replace the screen again.

If the issue is not resolved,I will sell the Macbook and move on to something else.

After Paying such hefty premium price you should not have such issues.