13" 2011 Macbook Pro for $999 a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mark2741, Aug 6, 2011.

1. mark2741 macrumors newbie

Interested in buying a Macbook Pro 13" and saw that Microcenter is offering it for $999 due to a $200 instant rebate. I've looked and every other store, both online and brick and mortar, is nowhere close to that price.

Am I missing something here? It appears to be the 2011 model with thunderbolt so I'm not seeing how they are able to sell it so much cheaper?

I'm going to go over there today (it's about a 25 minute drive from my house) and check it out. This will be my first mac in about 6 years.

2. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

When a store like Microcenter offers such a hefty discount, they're usually counting on you buying other accessories and stuff once you enter the store.

Overall, I've found the Microcenter near me to be a good place to get parts and accessories at a reasonably competitive price (relative to Newegg/Amazon) when I can't wait for shipping.

You're not missing anything, the $999 MBP is a good deal, period.

3. d0ster macrumors regular

I second this notion. I picked mine up from MC and drove an hour to save $200. Just get in, buy it, and get out!

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You're not missing anything, it is what it is. In retail they call it a "loss leader" and it's designed to get you into the store and hopefully you'll buy something else. It's also possible that they're getting some kind of volume discount from Apple based on the number of MacBook Pros they sell. I bought one about 6 weeks ago, the salesman wasn't pushy or overbearing, but he did offer up that it didn't have any office type software and mentioned MS Office if we were interested. He also gave a small pitch for their (not AppleCare) extended warranty. I declined both offers and he was okay with that. He also encouraged us to look around and see if there was anything else we wanted on our way up to the checkout. All in all it was a pleasant experience. The salesman seemed knowledgeable and wasn't pushy or overbearing. Get yourself one you won't regret it.

5. Heinsenberg macrumors member

6. mark2741 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone - I am copying my music files onto my new Macbook Pro 13" now : )

I showed up when they opened and got one. $999. The guy did keep asking me if I wanted Applecare, their warranty, extra software, a case, etc. etc. etc. : )

I declined all. He was a bit disappointed I could tell but he was professional about it.

mark

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Cool, enjoy your new MBP!
    $999 is definitely a great deal ... I wish they had a Microcenter in my area.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Congratulations! You're going to love it.

I spent almost 2 hours each way on the approximate 98 mile road trip to Micro Center to get my MacBook Pro (specs in the sig). It was a kind of spur of the moment road trip thing, I figured if I'd ordered it online I'd change my mind before it shipped and not get it. With the $200 off Apple MSRP, even accounting for Michigan sales tax of $60 and the gas (about $20) it was still a better price than most (all) internet resellers. I started out really liking it (it's my first ever notebook computer) and after using it for the last 6-7 weeks I've got to say I love it.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Oh wow. With the education discount and the 100 dollar card, I ended up paying 1168 (without noting card) and had to drive 2 hours to the nearest Apple store.

If I had a Microcenter I'd definitely go there. But yea, you have a year warranty free with Apple and have until that year's up to get Applecare. Because it's ~200 bucks, I'm just going to get it for Christmas or gradually save up for it and get it later.

10. andrew8404 macrumors regular

Microcenter is great and sometimes Best Buy will even match it if you have one near by plus you get reward zone points.

11. cz9h3d macrumors member

I've got a Microcenter nearby, and was ready to go buy my $999 13" MBP today. However, Amazon has a 20% discount via the kindle with special offers, good through Monday. I just got my wife one, so this will save me another $100 after tax, and give me an actual return policy just for piece of mind.

I love my 27" iMac i7' and like Apple. However it's always hard to actually spend real money when I look at how much more Apple costs. I'd rather have a 15" MBP with the high resolution non-glare screen, but now you're talking $2k!!!

12. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree the $999 deal at Microcenter is amazing. It has been running for months now and if I needed a MBP I would grab one at MC. If MC wasn't charging extra for AppleCare and I wanted it, I'd pick it up at the same time.

I've also looked at the 15" MBP. Microcenter has a deal on that one as well. I think that deal is close to $200 off bringing it down to about $1400 if I'm not mistaken. Sadly my Apple gear lasts too long and I can't bring myself to replace even my oldest G4 Mini except because "I want to." which for my wife isn't a good enough reason.

I did give my kids a significant performance boost for their old Core 2 Duo Minis by picking up SSD drives and memory at Microcenter (so I could install Lion for them). Once again there is no compelling reason to replace them either. Darn. I guess I'll have to pass up the $999 deal. ;)

13. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Yeh it seems like a great deal espcially from Microcenter