13" again or 15 inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aleco, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aleco macrumors regular

Hello,

About 1 year ago I got a MacBook Pro 13", it was great while it lasted. You guys are probably like, WHAT "WHILE IT LASTED." Well yeah, I kinda dropped it on my table and there is a dent on it now on the right side where the CD Drive is located.

I'm selling this one to one of my friends for $800, I bought it for $1,100. I upgraded the RAM on this one to 8GB cost me around $350, I still kept the 2GB RAM, so I'm giving him 2GB RAM instead of my precious 8GB which I'll most probably put in the newer MBP.

However, I'm somewhat stuck should I go for the bit overpriced ($1,700) 15" or just get another 13". The only thing that matters is overheating and and weight. It's 1 pound more (about) I'm not sure if that's a big difference.

The computer is mostly for web developing, and software developing; Most of the time, Coda, Flex, Flash, Xcode etc... Just most developing tools. I have my Mac Pro for the heavy-duty stuff like After Effects, Autodesk 3Ds, and Maya.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would get 13" as you have a rig for number crushing so portability is what matters (and price)

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Go for the 13" base model, preferrably from microcenter (if you have one near you) because it can be had for $999.

Also the new nvidia 320m is MILES FASTER than the slow Nvidia 9400m that it replaces.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think you should go with the 13 inch if your old laptop was fine for you.

5. Aleco thread starter macrumors regular

Price doesn't matter, I forgot to include that. When I talked about the 15" and I mentioned it was overpriced I mean it is over priced, but I really don't mind.

13" was awesome, but, the screen was just small, I'm just not sure if the 2 inch is a big deal. Many people say it is, and when I went to the Apple store, the environment makes the screen look incredibly small.

The reason why I like laptops is because when someones over and in the game room, I just take it there etc... When I'm eating breakfast I can take it in the kitchen.

I'm only in highschool, I have around 2 more years to go. When I take my MBP to school it's maximum 5 times a year. The only reason I don't want to go for the 15" is the heat. I usually use it on my lap (just put a book on it) so I'm not really sure... I might get that iLap accessory but it seems bulky, you guys have any accessories that might be a bit versatile and less bulky?

6. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

IMO the 15" is the sweet spot, 13" is awesome too though. I think the extra 2" is much noted and appreciated when it comes to looking at the screen, but hardly noticeable when it comes to portability. Also, not sure what your heat concerns are, they just don't really ever get hot unless doing really intensive stuff or running games in bootcamp. The same goes for the 13" though.

7. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

You are selling a "friend" a 1 year old dented notebook for $800? Your friend must not be too bright, and you're quite a friend. :eek:

I certainly hope your friend does not realize you can buy a year newer, dent-free 13" MBP with an upgraded CPU, GPU, battery, trackpad, and displayport at microcenter for $200 more.

8. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

9. toffa813 macrumors regular

I just got a 15" for college to replace my 4 year old Macbook and I'd say that the extra screen size is definitely worth it

10. Aleco thread starter macrumors regular

He was gonna go for the crappy plastic MacBook for $999, but he wanted the Pro but he said he doesn't want to pay that much...

He's much older then me... He's my dads friend tbh, I just said friend because I don't feel like sitting here and telling you a life story ;)

I'm most probably gonna get the 15", I'll be using my brothers discount so $100 plus $200 rebate, and a free iPod Touch (my 3rd one). I think I'm good too go. Thanks guys!

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm in high school too and I got my Macbook Pro 13 inch. Personally I think the screen size is big enough as it has the same resolution as my old 15'' laptop.
    Do you plan to buy a new laptop in college? You could skip the 15'' laptop now, and get it in college.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I don't mean to be mean, but come on dude, you know you burned your dad's friend on that deal. He could've bought a brand new 13" 2.4Ghz MBP with 4GB ram with a 1year factory warranty at Microcenter for $999. :p

If you feel the 15" MBP is "overpriced" then it's not for you. Nobody should pay for anything they consider "overpriced". Now, if you say it's expensive, then yes, that's true, but if it's overpriced to you, then it's not worth it to you and you shouldn't be spending your money on it.

13. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

I had two 13 inch macbooks in a row and just upped to the 15 HiRes AG and it is a serious difference. I love the new screen!

14. Aleco thread starter macrumors regular

I know, but he want's it. If you got something like that, would you go and say: "Oh you know, you might as-well just go get a new laptop for $1,200." I think I'm being pretty generous for $800. The fact that I help him with everything that has to do with a computer, and do housecalls sometimes, I think it's time for me to get payed for my generosity. :)

You do know we've sat and discussed about the MacBook Pro's, he really doesn't care much about the specs. He just cares about price I guess. Don't forget I'm giving him the computer in a box with everything inside, plus iWork 09' license. It's not THAT bad.

Oh and, it's my opinion that it can be a bit cheaper, but who cares it's not really my money, my parents are buying it. Regardless if I consider it overpriced, I had a MBA before the Pro, too bad it was horrible. The fans ran constantly too.

I was looking at the online store, I'm looking around to see if there is much difference between the standard and the hi-res model. Care to explain what it actually does? It's only $100, so if it does some good, then might as-well add it. Would I see a difference in the screen compared to the 13"?

I ready something about it on the forums, people said they would rather go for the standard. Not really sure why Apple doesn't explain what it does :s

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I think you missed the part where I said he could've gotten a brand new one for $999 at Microcenter with more ram and warranty. My point was you were skimpy about the ram you gave him and $800 for a 1 year old damaged machine that no longer has a warranty that you originally paid only $1100 for is insane, but to each his own. Hope you never end up buying a used car.

Good thing you were "generous" enough to give him that useful box. Hope that didn't break you. :rolleyes: Don't worry, you'll be paid soon for your "generosity".

16. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Looks like it's already been covered. Hopefully karma does not think you should continue dropping your MacBooks.
    And it's hilarious that you think generous is giving the box when selling a damage product for much more than it's worth.

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I agree too, I think the OP should have sold the damaged 13" for around $550.

18. seb-opp macrumors 6502

The boxes are made from whale skin and children's tears. Not cheap.

19. bluehaze013 macrumors 6502

The 15" is a heck of alot more computer than the 13" and the size difference once you throw it in a bag is negligible. You will mostly only notice the difference when you are actually using it and staring at a screen that is 2" larger than it's counterpart. I would highly recommend the 15" over the 13" if you are considering both, it seems like a no brainer.

20. Aleco thread starter macrumors regular

I'm afraid you guys are too focused with my numbers and how he's getting a "bad deal" rather then the question I've been asking. My question was if I should go for the 15" inch instead of the same 13", I don't remember asking you guys if I'm ripping him...

He's looking for the cheapest alternative, and I guess if he has to sacrifice a small dent on the right side, the so be it. I'm not too sure why everyones so worried about the price I sold it for, it's not like it's out of your money. And so people can finally answer my question, I'm going to give 4GB RAM, and iWork License. Oh lets not forget the box everyone has been talking about.

I've made my decision to go for the 15" but the second level, so I can have some more room on it. I'm also going for the Hi-Res Screen.

Thanks every for their recommendation, and the people who were worried about the buyer getting ripped off. Gtfo

21. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

So you come on here explain how you just ripped off your acquaintance and think anyone here should have any regard for you.
    Since your parents are buying it, why buy the 17" i7 8GB ram 512GB SSD with anti glare display and CS5 installed. It sounds perfect for you... To drop!

22. Aleco thread starter macrumors regular

Because the 17" is the size of a cow, and I already have CS5 license... I never came here to get regard from anyone, I came here for advice. The extra nagging from you isn't necessary, stop acting so childish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.