13" air or new 13" mbp-Which is a better buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jlyanks85, Feb 24, 2011.

1. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

Now that the new mbps are out I'm trying to compare the 13" air and pro and what would be the better all around computer.

I have a 27" imac so I wouldn't need the bigger screen on the 15 or 17 inch. I mainly wanted a laptop for travel, to take to school and web browsing on the bed or couch.

Was thinking of selling my ipad for it to make it a little more affordable at least.

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

If you already have a 27" iMac, then go for the Macbook Air. In my opinion, it has the best design, and is suitable for web browsing and more basic usage.

In my mind, if you're just using it for basic things, why have a powerful desktop and a powerful laptop?

I find it funny how after Apple comes out with all of these great laptops, the iPad loses its excitement factor. I have an iPad with 3G, and think it's great, but almost wish I would have gone with the Air (too bad the new Air came out after I bought the iPad).

3. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

Get an iPad.

Oh. Never mind.

Get the Air. The new 13MBP's suck arse.

4. jlyanks85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I love my ipad and was going to sell it when the ipad 2 was announced next week to get that, but seeing the new air with ssd and the new mbp it's making me want to get a laptop more and more with portability and a good 2nd computer.

5. snosrfr macrumors newbie

curious as to what your opinion on the new 13"mbp is based on? it would seem to me that having the i7 chip option coupled w/ upgrading to an ssd would be a powerhouse combo. it would seem to be worth the additional weight over the air...

thoughts?

thanks,
    -sno

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

The new MacBook Pros do not "suck arse" they simply are not what some expected in terms of a boost. Still go with the MacBook Air, you can still do allot on it and if God forbid you have to run CS5 simultaneously with Final Cut Pro while encoding video while browsing firefox with 28 tabs open and it starts to slow you can always hit the iMac up for more power :p;):apple: