Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vikpt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
I completely get it that the 13 in. rMBP would've been muuuuch better for that hard-earned cash and future proofing if it had dedicated graphics and quad core cpu. But why is it getting lots of complaints now with only having hd4000 when there hasn't been a full review of it yet?

Are those complaining mostly users (gamers) who want/wish that they could play heavy powerful games on it?

I'm kind of considering it. Just waiting for the reviews. But I think the hd4000 does a pretty good task on running graphics-intensive apps on 13 cMBP.

I'll be doing, for my needs as a multimedia student, hd video editing (from Canon 60D or 7D) with final cut pro, premiere pro and after effects and Photoshop editing. Will the 13 in. rMBP be ok for that? :confused:

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I completely get it that the 13 in. rMBP would've been muuuuch better for that hard-earned cash and future proofing if it had dedicated graphics and quad core cpu. But why is it getting lots of complaints now with only having hd4000 when there hasn't been a full review of it yet?

Are those complaining mostly users (gamers) who want/wish that they could play heavy powerful games on it?

I'm kind of considering it. Just waiting for the reviews. But I think the hd4000 does a pretty good task on running graphics-intensive apps on 13 cMBP.

I'll be doing, for my needs as a multimedia student, hd video editing (from Canon 60D or 7D) with final cut pro, premiere pro and after effects and Photoshop editing. Will the 13 in. rMBP be ok for that? :confused:

the bargain hunters trash it. Good for them. It's great being frugal.

But really kids, this is an Apple. Remember? they cost M O N E Y ;)

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

people complain mostly to complain, they wanted huge upgrades(like apple ever does that)

I would be surprised if this 13"rMMP cant do everything the 13"cMBP can do

Exana

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
There is no need to read a review about it. Everything is already well known. It's the same hardware for Retina 13" and a Classic one with SSD and 8 GB. Screen must be fine except if it have IR... Battery life will be as Apple tells, it's always what review show. What is still unkow is fan noise and temps.

If your want to know why some dont like it, check spec/price ratio... Lots of more buck than a Air *only for the screen* and far lower performances than a Retina 15'' witch did not cost much more.

Sure some will be happy with this unit. Not everyone...

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
There is no need to read a review about it. Everything is already well known. It's the same hardware for Retina 13" and a Classic one with SSD and 8 GB. Screen must be fine except if it have IR... Battery life will be as Apple tells, it's always what review show. What is still unkow is fan noise and temps.

If your want to know why some dont like it, check spec/price ratio... Lots of more buck than a Air *only for the screen* and far lower performances than a Retina 15'' witch did not cost much more.
Sure some will be happy with this unit. Not everyone...

the base 15" jumped $400 from the cMBP to the rMBP the same $400 that the 13" jumped

Exana

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I want to say : rMBP 13" with 256 GB cost 100 € less than rMBP 15".
128 GB is really too short according to me.

Sorry for poor english

vikpt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Though do you guys think it will be able to edit hd videos (those from dSLR) well and smoothly? like on fcp x, premiere pro and a few after effects tasks?

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
A lot of people don't seem to like the price. I think that accounts for part of the hate.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Too little, too late. Once again Apple delivers less than expected. Performance under OS X may be OK, but what about running Windows on it?

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008

People are hating on it just to make themselves feel better for not owning it.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
A lot of people don't seem to like the price. I think that accounts for part of the hate.

exactly the price determines a lot of our expectations

At that price point I would expect that:
1) its main competitor the vaio Z is with a quad, so the rmbp should have one as well
2) The ram limitation
3) Low initial storage and if you go up, you end up with a not so great difference between this and the rmbp 15

This all makes the rmbp 13 a convoluted buy, price point is wrong, limited in terms of hardware and all that hints you towards the rmbp 15 as a better buy

We all knew it wasnt going to come with a dgpu, and I dont know why as the whining about it.

vikpt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
exactly the price determines a lot of our expectations

At that price point I would expect that:
1) its main competitor the vaio Z is with a quad, so the rmbp should have one as well
2) The ram limitation
3) Low initial storage and if you go up, you end up with a not so great difference between this and the rmbp 15

This all makes the rmbp 13 a convoluted buy, price point is wrong, limited in terms of hardware and all that hints you towards the rmbp 15 as a better buy

We all knew it wasnt going to come with a dgpu, and I dont know why as the whining about it.

I'm considering the 13 in because I simply don't have the money for the 15 in rMBP lol

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
I'm considering the 13 in because I simply don't have the money for the 15 in rMBP lol

that means you are going to be stuck with the entry model at 1700

although that teardown from ifixt made me have a glimp of hope that you can put a SSD in there with the cables from the old mbp

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
No need to complain. I'm glad I got a 2012 MBP in July. I wanted a retina version without the the ODD but not without equal or more storage and a discrete gpu. I'm content until the the next time around. :)

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I think we can know a lot based on specs so you don't exactly need a full review. I don't hate the 13" rMBP, I just have no interest in it. I have a 15" rMBP, prefer 13" laptops but if I was really in the market, I think I'd choose the Air over the rMBP.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I certainly don't hate it and would have seriously considered it but decided last month to go with the slightly larger screen with the 15in--price isn't such a problem as long as the product is what you want. If it is, buy it--if not--oh well, get something else. :)

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Just like the 15" rMBP, many people complained about the price and the specs, but overall it was a remarkable piece of engineering with alot of power. The same can be said about the 13", yes it is an amazing laptop overall but for the price and how that price compares to the 15" retina and the 13" MBP and MBA, its not reasonable whatsoever. Especially considering the specs given with 128gb SSD, no ram upgrade option to 16GB and no change in graphics, its a pretty bad deal when considering the other options.

But, that does not mean its a bad laptop. It's a great laptop, just not worth the price imo.

vikpt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Just like the 15" rMBP, many people complained about the price and the specs, but overall it was a remarkable piece of engineering with alot of power. The same can be said about the 13", yes it is an amazing laptop overall but for the price and how that price compares to the 15" retina and the 13" MBP and MBA, its not reasonable whatsoever. Especially considering the specs given with 128gb SSD, no ram upgrade option to 16GB and no change in graphics, its a pretty bad deal when considering the other options.

But, that does not mean its a bad laptop. It's a great laptop, just not worth the price imo.

thanks for stating my thoughts that i found it hard to put into words haha :D

----------

I think we can know a lot based on specs so you don't exactly need a full review. I don't hate the 13" rMBP, I just have no interest in it. I have a 15" rMBP, prefer 13" laptops but if I was really in the market, I think I'd choose the Air over the rMBP.

Well I'm gonna do video editing and some photoshop tasks so I'm gonna pass with the Air. I'm asking about the 13 in. rMBP because I can't afford the 15 in. version lol

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
the base 15" jumped $400 from the cMBP to the rMBP the same $400 that the 13" jumped

No, the 13" jumped $500 while the 15" jumped $400 .

For that price, the 13" got its 500GB hard drive replaced for 128GB flash while the 15" got its 500GB hard drive replaced for 256GB, so it's not even fair to compare either.

If you look at the 256GB model to be fair to both, the 13" jumped $800 while the 15" jumped $400.

How does the extra $400 premium compared to the 15" make sense to you? It's just more raw profit for Apple. Not a single component is more expensive to make in the 13" rMBP compared to the 15".

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
No, the 13" jumped $500 while the 15" jumped $400 .

For that price, the 13" got its 500GB hard drive replaced for 128GB flash while the 15" got its 500GB hard drive replaced for 256GB, so it's not even fair to compare either.

If you look at the 256GB model to be fair to both, the 13" jumped $800 while the 15" jumped $400.

How does the extra $400 premium make sense to you?

Great comparison. I think if the 13" came with at least 256GB SSD, it would be less of a rip off.

If it was 256GB starting at $1599, i would have been sold.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
Great comparison. I think if the 13" came with at least 256GB SSD, it would be less of a rip off.

If it was 256GB starting at $1599, i would have been sold.

indeed if that was the price point we wouldnt be arguing here, well there would be the people that wanted a dgpu, but we already knew it wasnt going to happen

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Well I'm gonna do video editing and some photoshop tasks so I'm gonna pass with the Air. I'm asking about the 13 in. rMBP because I can't afford the 15 in. version lol

If money is your biggest factor, then I'd probably look at a base 15" cMBP. You can add more memory or upgrade the hard drive later if you wanted. It'd give you the best performance for the buy-in cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.