13 Inch Macbook Pro Image retention REAL :-(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bsen4961, Oct 25, 2012.

1. bsen4961, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2012

bsen4961 Guest

So many of us were hoping that the 13 inch macbook pro would emerge with out image retention. Unfortunately i can confirm that the 13 inch retina display does have image retention. Check it out.

2. tadziak macrumors regular

Is it your video and your Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch? If yes - how long did you leave that test screen on, before noticing retention?

3. bsen4961 thread starter Guest

yes it is my video, i left it on for ten mins and then checked

4. tadziak macrumors regular

I would say at least it's FAIR towards 15 inch users. It seems just that if you want a Retina Macbook Pro - you get some retention with it. Nothing can be done about it and we have to live with it. As long as it's minimal - it's not a big issue.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I have a 15" retina with no IR at all.

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

Ok so don't buy one. Returning it 35 times to get a Samsung is no longer an option. This fact, oddly enough, makes me happy, as reading those return threads gave me a strong desire to terminate my life prematurely. :)

7. Maczor macrumors regular

I'd wait to see what other people's experiences are...
    We might still be dealing with a faulty screen that needs replacing.
    ... people saying that this is something you MUST get used to is just silly...

8. boto macrumors 6502

boto

According to this article, AppleInsider, it claims majority of the display orders will be produced and installed with LG panels on iPads, iMacs, and retina MBPs from now on. If this is true, we can expect Apple denying replacement screens in the future as they state it as a "feature" that IPS technology is bound to have.

I hope Apple acknowledges this issue and is willing to resolve it sooner than later. IR gets worse over time and it can be perfectly visible within a few seconds on any dark values, even on Apple's default wallpaper or iPhoto's layout. I will absolutely not accept this and I'll go through any lengths to get a perfect Samsung display for my iMac 27" top-of-the-line, when released.

9. Magpie-23 macrumors member

^this

I have an LG panel. If I leave a checkerboard on my screen for 15 mins it takes a few minutes to fade against a greyish background. If I don't, then I don't notice IR. If I stare at a lightbulb for mins I have IR on my eyeballs so I don't stare at lightbulbs for 5 mins. The IR threads on this forum are hilarious.
    If it is so bad that it disrupts your everyday workflow then take in back under warranty. If it doesn't then you won't notice it.

10. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Ditto for me.

11. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

The IR test I did at the Apple Store (a few minutes ago) was a real-world test using the Dock, and I didn't see anything.

Granted, if I had done the worst-case-scenario checkboard test, I might have seen some IR... who knows.

I can't think of any real-world situations where I have a static, high contrast black-white image on my screen for long periods of time.

12. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

It will be developed over time. Transistors on display has ability to discharge worse over time. Genius Bar will tell you that it is normal even it become a big issue for you. They insist to replace your screen.

13. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Ok here's my experience with image retention.

Now I do believe it was a problem initially when the 15" was released as we saw horrible images of ghosting. However..

Because people like to complain and the ones who complain have the loudest voices on the internet, I believe the ghosting issue was blown out of proportions. Here's why.

These high resolutions displays are going to have SLIGHT IR, but not anything permanent or drastic enough to annoy the hell outta Apple and cause yourself stress.

Then here comes the image retention test

I was part of the paranoia at first and tested my replacement and my original purchase and both had slight IR. Have I had any problems since? No

I believe the batches of LG screens are better than before but when someone does the test when they get their rMBP sees a tiny itty bitty grain of IR, it shows on the internet as "OMGZ THE RMBP HAVE IMAGE RETENTION. DON'T BUY. BURN APPLE"

Proof? Go to that support forum at Apple.com concerning it. They don't even give their macbooks time, they turn full brightness and test for image retention. Why go looking for trouble?

And yes, both of my screens were LG and I only did a replacement trying to get a Samsung screen due to paranoia.

The only cases of horrible image retention from my experience and research concerning the rMBP seem to be ones purchased at launch or during the Summer. Otherwise, ones purchased mid-August through now show little to no IR.

14. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Well said by Dr. Sly on ASC forum.

"That's preposterous on so many levels. I have a Samsung display (after having had six LGs) and there is no hint of image retention. I also have five displays at home, all but one are LGs, no image retention. I have had 19 MacBook Pros since 2005, no image retention until this year. I have had desktop computers and laptops since the mid-80s, no image retention.

Need I say more? And FYI, IPS technology is nothing new. It's been out for years in the PC world, even in Apple's products. So it is not the case that IPS panels all exhibit image retention. Image retention on any display for such expensive devices is unacceptable.

There is nothing right about image retention. Plus, the 'within specs' rubbish is an idiotic and dishonest reply on two levels:

1- the spec may be arbitrary, subjective, and defined by Apple

2- the spec is UNKNOWN, unavailable to customers prior to purchase

Therefore, what the ef is that spec anyways? Is it recognized by ISO, ICS, ANSI ?

Oh wait, they won't tell you that.

Do you know what a tech spec is? I work with engineers, computer scientists, and businesspersons on a daily basis, I'm a human factors scientist by trade and a cognitive scientist by education. Standards and specifications for technology is something I have to deal with on a daily basis. They are well-defined, and leave little to the imagination. If they do, it means that whatever hasn't been explicitly determined is up to the engineer.

You, madam or sir, are being blindsighted by sheer devotion to Apple, a lack of understanding of technology, or something else altogether which I cannot diagnose.

Some people will be Apple (or any brand) apologists to irrational levels. I used to be very eager to 'promote', 'support', and even 'defend' Apple products. I haven't been much lately, with multiple issues on iPhones, iPads, and Macs. The honeymoon is over."

15. leman macrumors 604

Well, my LG display (15" rMBP) shows slight image retention after around 15 minutes of exposure to the pattern. Have I ever noticed any IR in real usage scenario? No, I didn't. So I don't see it as a problem.

So the question is: how long did OP do the test?

16. magbarn macrumors 68000

And another... of course mine's Samsung. I love how Apple hid the EDID info on the rMBP 13 to prevent detection of manufacturer without tearing apart the laptop.

17. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Yeah I saw an article stating that a majority was LG for this version. Thankfully I have a Samsung and I have none whatsoever, I even left the test up for IR for 3 hours while I did other stuff (no screen saver/dimming/it was on full brightness/no sleep) and had no issues.

My previous LG screens showed up within 10-15 minutes of doing the test and if I left it up longer it showed up no matter the desktop background.

18. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Funny seeing these posts - you know, I get IR on my 30" Apple Cinema Display that cost over £1200 at the time.

It's not that big a deal, imo (goes away after a few minutes), but I've not yet seen a retina display (beyond iPad & iPhone).

19. Jinzen macrumors 6502

That iMac 27 never had any IR. it's made by LG.

20. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Funny, the same IPS technology, but some shows IR and people still think it is normal and it is not a problem. Please explain the logic here. if it is normal as it is flaw of IPS technology, every IPS display should have the same IR behavior. Why some IPS don't show any IR ? I am confused.

21. dnkbro macrumors regular

I don't see anything from the video that was posted in this thread. Am I the only one? :confused:

22. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Well for one it is a completely different backlighting and space issue to account for. Super thin vs. whatever the manufacturer designs. My NEC AS-IPS has a little image retention but it is 6 years old so I expect it it happens to be over 3.5" thick as well. I have seen major retention on Apple 20, 23, 30" Cinemas over the years and they are LG IPS also. IPS is known to have some IR problems later in life it is just the way it is with that type of panel. New off the shelf IR is something very new and either is a by product of the slim design backlighting or quality control. No one can pin it down yet.
    There are plenty of other devices with the issues. I still will not buy any other display panel though. Color is just too good.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Some...ms-pre-production-units-only-affected_id31888

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1705618

23. astutesoup, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

astutesoup macrumors newbie

Ugh. I'm also seeing image retention on my 13" rMBP. I know the checkerboard test is rather contrived but from what I've read of the experiences of those with the 15" model, the issue tends to get worse over time, becoming more pronounced. With reports of Apple being difficult when it comes to the level of retention they deem within spec. and replacing screens, I don't think I want to run the risk - especially not considering the cost of the machine. As much as it pains me, I think I'm going to return it.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was thinking the same. I stared at the checkerboard and of course I saw the IR when the screen went grey. I figure this is my eyes and nothing else. If it never goes away then it makes sense that there's a problem. As a matter of fact, as of this moment I can still see the checkerboard and I have an older ACD hooked up to my work computer.

25. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Soon or later, Apple will solve this problem. Maybe in the next generation. How would you feel if it is solved while you guys think it is not a problem. But Apple solves it.