Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Well, Apple promised Win 7 drivers by the end of the year so we should get fixed sound drivers soon. (HOPEFULLY)

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Found a fix on the Apple forums. It seems that this driver fixes all the problems with the current audio driver. Volume is normal, microphone works, and the red light is gone.

PS- I'm running it on 7 Professional and it's great.

PPS- I just realized that this thread is for the 13" MBP. I have the 2.8Ghz 15". It may still work though.

AlmightyMe

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
Great!

I can confirm that this works! Thank you, thank you. Nothing like apple taking their sweet time. I have the latest Macbook Pro 13 inch running 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I just ran the Vista 64 bit installer as admin and rebooted. Good to go!!! Now can anyone fix the atrocious drivers for the touch pad? These are ridiculously sensitive with the touch tap turned on.

rosstripi

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
Driver works

I confirm that the aforementioned driver works on the MacBook Pro 13-inch 5,5.

I am running a 32-bit Windows XP Pirate Edition.

Confuzzeled23

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2009
Found a fix on the Apple forums. It seems that this driver fixes all the problems with the current audio driver. Volume is normal, microphone works, and the red light is gone.

PPS- I just realized that this thread is for the 13" MBP. I have the 2.8Ghz 15". It may still work though.

Hey,
This didn't work for my early 2009 Aluminum Macbook. Does my model not have this type of speakers or something? Currently I have the latest Realtek driver installed from the realtek website, still having low audio. *sigh. My only problem with my windows side, besides lower battery life. Anyone here get the audio problem solved for an early 2009 Aluminum Macbook?
Thanks.

dorkwad1234

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2010
that driver apple posted seems to be a valid fix on my 13 macbook pro running 7, but for some reason the device looses its driver on occasion....

no sound, and the sound card on the device manager has a little yellow ! next to it.

reinstalling, or "updating" the driver seems to fix it for a while.

anyone with the same issue or any ideas?

i didnt have this issue with the default drivers or any of the modded drivers from the forum previously.

tried a clean install of windows too to no avail.

thanks in advance.

empezar

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006

Confirmed to be a working fix on my MacBook Pro 15" running Windows 7 Ultimate.

EnaBoC

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Hi, so I've been following this thread for a while, and tried most of the stuff, but none of it seems to work for me.

I have a 13" MacBook which I bought only 2 months ago, with the Cirrus Logic High Definition Audio Sound Card. (I know this is a MacBook Pro topic, but there's nothing remotely close to my issue in the MacBook forums. And seeing as it's the same sound card, maybe it'll work).

Anyway, when I use the internal mic, it comes out really deep and it's not discernible as to what I said. I'm on Windows XP through Bootcamp. I've tried the "fix" but it says my Cirrus Card is already more updated than it.

Thanks

DivineEvil

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
Hi, so I've been following this thread for a while, and tried most of the stuff, but none of it seems to work for me.

I have a 13" MacBook which I bought only 2 months ago, with the Cirrus Logic High Definition Audio Sound Card. (I know this is a MacBook Pro topic, but there's nothing remotely close to my issue in the MacBook forums. And seeing as it's the same sound card, maybe it'll work).

Anyway, when I use the internal mic, it comes out really deep and it's not discernible as to what I said. I'm on Windows XP through Bootcamp. I've tried the "fix" but it says my Cirrus Card is already more updated than it.

Thanks
Did you update the Bootcamp drivers to 3.1? They were just released... They fixed the mic problem for me... uMBP 13"

EnaBoC

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Did you update the Bootcamp drivers to 3.1? They were just released... They fixed the mic problem for me... uMBP 13"

Oh...how do I do that? Well I only installed Bootcamp a month ago, so I think it'd be pretty updated. But I'll check anyways. Thanks.

Edit: Okay I updated to 3.1 and I tried using the mic. Still sounds deep and messed up. What should I do now?

Unseelie23

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
Oh...how do I do that? Well I only installed Bootcamp a month ago, so I think it'd be pretty updated. But I'll check anyways. Thanks.

Edit: Okay I updated to 3.1 and I tried using the mic. Still sounds deep and messed up. What should I do now?

What application are you using? The mic sounds fine to me in Skype, and Windows Messenger. I've seen issues with PCs in the past where audio drivers wouldn't have support for a specific sample rate, and the app in question is using an unsupported rate that would sound like that... Most gaming audio chat applications seem to have this issue (like Ventrilo or Steam).

EnaBoC

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
What application are you using? The mic sounds fine to me in Skype, and Windows Messenger. I've seen issues with PCs in the past where audio drivers wouldn't have support for a specific sample rate, and the app in question is using an unsupported rate that would sound like that... Most gaming audio chat applications seem to have this issue (like Ventrilo or Steam).

I've tried with msn, vent, teamspeak, AND xfire. In all of them, they don't work. I haven't tried any VOIP things though. But yea, it's the Cirrus Logic Board I think. I am on Bootcamp 3.1 also.

gmrm

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
What is wrong with you people

I tell you what, the worst thing that apple could of done was to try and help people use windows on their systems. What is it with pc owners buying macs and then putting windows on to find out something is wrong then complain.

I had the audio problem on my macbook pro 15" when installing windows 7 and was looking for a solution and it brought me to this forum, so i read it all and i could not believe what i was reading (as 1 guy states he returned his mac because of the audio problem in win7) THIS IS A MAC YOU MORON.

I eventually played with the settings in windows 7 in the sound properties and do you know what i got it LOUDER. I turned on bass boost , speaker fill and loudness and now it works a treat .

And finally to all you windows lovers that buy a mac (ITS A MAC) then moan that windows doesnt work (hmmmmm is that cause its a mac) go and buy a dell (pile of)

Sorry for the moaning but it gets to me when people slag macs off for not running windows as us mac lovers know thats not whats it is designed for.

Its like buying a metro then replacing the engine with a ferrari and complaining it doesnt work.

cool8man

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
That was a dumb rant. Does the Metro include a kit to help you install a Ferrari engine and advertise that you can turn it into a Ferrari?

You might have had a point if people were hacking their Macs or doing something not officially supported by Apple. Boot Camp is an Apple product and expecting it to work properly is not unreasonable. And right now it does. My whole family owns MacBooks and we use nothing but Windows exclusively. The MacBook is a great Windows computer when Apple makes an effort to provide proper drivers.

EOC

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2009
My whole family owns MacBooks and we use nothing but Windows exclusively. The MacBook is a great Windows computer when Apple makes an effort to provide proper drivers.

love windows on my mbp! Just got windows media center set up on the mac mini htpc!

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Booted into Windows for the first time in ages and updated to Bootcamp 3.1, for me that audio is still messed up slightly. The volume on the internal speakers still seems to be low, even at max volume.

Mysterio214

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
XP x64 no sound MBP 13

Apologies if this has already been discussed however I have been unable to find the answer to my problem. I am running Windows XP X64 on 13" MBP (unibody) mid late 2009... and have installed all drivers succesfully accept the Sound driver. Now i'm not sure what the correct chipset is however I am told it is cirrus logic or realtek? I have tried every variation of x64 driver and setups from both but I can't get this sound driver to install and work correctly. I have been wrestling with this issue for the last few days and have exhausted all avenues so any help from you guys would be very much appreciated.

matyerkes

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
Found a Fix - it's a little lengthy

I don't know if anyone has already posted a concrete fix for this (haven't read every post), but I figured out how to get the volume obnoxiously loud if it still needs to be fixed. The problem is Windows 7 has an automatic device installer, so even if you do download an updated driver, when you uninstall the existing ones, they'll reinstall after a reboot. You don't even need a new driver anyway.

Took me a few hours to figure out. I'd make sure you have the OSX CD first just in case you delete the driver by accident as the auto-installed MS drivers cause silence, which is the opposite goal!

What you need to do first is disable the automatic driver installation for new devices. Open up gpedit.msc from the Run command (click Start > Run and type "gpedit.msc"). Then go to 'Computer Configuration' > 'Administrative Templates' > 'System' > 'Device Installation' > 'Device Installation Restrictions' > 'Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings.' Once you're in there, click 'Enable.' This will prevent windows from re-installing the driver automatically after a reboot. Now to uninstall the existing drivers.

Open the Device Manager through the Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager, click the audio devices and then right click the speakers to open Properties. Click the 'Driver' tab and then 'Driver Details' and note that the CS420x64 is the one you want. I ended up moving it from the drivers folder (in Windows > System32 > drivers) to the recycle bin (DON'T EMPTY IT!!) so I could find exactly where it was and restore it back to the System32 folder faster. FINALLY, if you uninstall the drivers (after moving CS420x64 to the Recycle Bin) for the speakers and restart the machine into Windows it won't be able to install drivers for the speakers because of the policy change, which will now be recognized as a new device.

Go back into gpedit and reset the changed policy back to 'Not Configured' (otherwise you won't be able to install the driver yourself!) restore the driver from the recycle bin and do a manual installation through the device manager by getting to the speaker properties once more and clicking "update driver" and browsing manually for it. Again, it's in Windows > System32 > drivers. It should install the driver for the speakers, however my headphone volume is the same which was on purpose. Now my speakers are louder than in OSX.

airtas

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
I don't know if anyone has already posted a concrete fix for this (haven't read every post), but I figured out how to get the volume obnoxiously loud if it still needs to be fixed. The problem is Windows 7 has an automatic device installer, so even if you do download an updated driver, when you uninstall the existing ones, they'll reinstall after a reboot. You don't even need a new driver anyway.

Took me a few hours to figure out. I'd make sure you have the OSX CD first just in case you delete the driver by accident as the auto-installed MS drivers cause silence, which is the opposite goal!

What you need to do first is disable the automatic driver installation for new devices. Open up gpedit.msc from the Run command (click Start > Run and type "gpedit.msc"). Then go to 'Computer Configuration' > 'Administrative Templates' > 'System' > 'Device Installation' > 'Device Installation Restrictions' > 'Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings.' Once you're in there, click 'Enable.' This will prevent windows from re-installing the driver automatically after a reboot. Now to uninstall the existing drivers.

Open the Device Manager through the Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager, click the audio devices and then right click the speakers to open Properties. Click the 'Driver' tab and then 'Driver Details' and note that the CS420x64 is the one you want. I ended up moving it from the drivers folder (in Windows > System32 > drivers) to the recycle bin (DON'T EMPTY IT!!) so I could find exactly where it was and restore it back to the System32 folder faster. FINALLY, if you uninstall the drivers (after moving CS420x64 to the Recycle Bin) for the speakers and restart the machine into Windows it won't be able to install drivers for the speakers because of the policy change, which will now be recognized as a new device.

Go back into gpedit and reset the changed policy back to 'Not Configured' (otherwise you won't be able to install the driver yourself!) restore the driver from the recycle bin and do a manual installation through the device manager by getting to the speaker properties once more and clicking "update driver" and browsing manually for it. Again, it's in Windows > System32 > drivers. It should install the driver for the speakers, however my headphone volume is the same which was on purpose. Now my speakers are louder than in OSX.

has anyone tried this?

Frank!

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
The latest Windows 7 drivers are an improvement, but they are still not right. Internal speaker volume is still WAY lower than it should be.

However, there's never been any need to edit drivers and reinstall for Vista or Windows 7 - you can fix this with a simple regedit and reboot.

Just go to the start menu, type regedit and hit return. Now go to EDIT->FIND in the menu, and search for n03OutAmpCaps. When its eventually found you should see REG_DWORD and then a value to the right of it (and a load of other stuff above and below).

n02OutAmpCaps is your headphones, n03OutAmpCaps and n04OutAmpCaps are your internal speakers. The values here depend on the model of your machine, for mine (2009 15" MBP) the headphones were set at 0x80017373 and the internal speakers 0x80016767. I changed both speaker values to the same as the headphones by right clicking and selecting 'modify'.

Once you've done this you may want to search again and repeat, because there may well be more than one copy of these settings.

Reboot, and your speakers will be nice and loud. And you can easily change it back if you don't like it.

therealdeal

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Oklahoma, USA
There is another way to boost sound in both Windows Vista & 7 by adjusting Speakers' properties

1. Click right at Speakers' icon at Windows' taskbar.
2. Select Playback Devices.
3. Select Speakers.
4. Click Properties -> Enhancements -> select "Loudness Equalization"
5. Click OK

I've done it in my Macbook Pro 13" 2009 with Windows 7.
It works for me hopefully, it'll work to you too. :)

I recently bought a MacBook Pro 13" 2010 version (my first Mac!), and have it running with Windows 7 64-bit via Bootcamp. Although this is a bit of an old thread, my MBP is brand new and had the same problem all of you guys were having. Anyways, I downloaded a recent driver update via Apple Software Update to fix a headphone line-out no audio issue on the new 2010 models and was very hesitant to try a completely new driver because I was afraid it would break the aforementioned functionality fix. :confused: I followed your instructions and it increased sound output dramatically. :D In fact, I enabled all of the other sound enhancements, except for Room Correction, and I am impressed. :cool: Although your fix wasn't intended for 2010 users, I highly suggest ANYONE who is using Windows 7 on their MacBook Pro do this because it fixes the problem without the fuss of reinstalling drivers and such. ;)

A most sincere thank you my friend,

:apple: Andrew :apple:

Frank!

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Although your fix wasn't intended for 2010 users, I highly suggest ANYONE who is using Windows 7 on their MacBook Pro do this because it fixes the problem without the fuss of reinstalling drivers and such. ;)

If you'd read the rest of the thread, you would know this is not a good idea. The fix I posted above is the correct thing to do without reinstalling drivers. So no, not recommended.

xgunther

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2037093&start=135&tstart=0

"Thanks to cmosquera for this fix.

This will fix the volume on the computer. If you also did the audio enhancement described above undo it.

1. Create a folder on the root of your c:\ drive, call it "CirrusDriverFix".

2. Install 7-Zip in your Vista or W7.

3. Put the Mac OSX Install DVD that came bundled with your Mid 2009 MBP in your DVD drive then right click on the BootCamp\Drivers\Cirrus\CirrusAudioVistaxx.exe (xx=32 for 32 bit and 64 for 64-bit) file and choose "7-Zip > Extract Files..." Enter c:\CirrusDriverFix to extract the files.

4. Once the files have been extracted go to the c:\CirrusDriverFix folder and delete the original cs420x.inf file and replace it with the one attached to http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=182216&d=1247310061 make sure the you rename it to cs420x.inf

5. Go into your device manager, right click on the Cirrus Logic under "Sound, video and game controllers" then choose Uninstall and make sure to check the box "Delete the driver software for this device."

6. Click on Start > type "cmd" then right click on the cmd.exe that shows up and click "Run as administrator".

7. type in CD "\CirrusDriverFix"

8. type in dpinst /F and then go through the install, it should "force" the install.

9. Enjoy your sound.

10. Thank ChristianZ and everyone else except Apple, Cirrus Logic, and Soft Reset "

"You may be experiencing the same problem I had. If so, this will help. In your device manager you say everything looks good, but check again, is "sound" device listed at all? When I performed the above steps my computer didn't see that I had speakers at all. In windows 7 when I clicked on the speaker in the lower left on the task bar Windows automatically tried to detect and fix problem. In doing so Windows installed a generic windows audio driver, which showed up in the device manager. I ran the command prompt again and reinstalled the new audio cirrus audio driver and everything worked perfectly."

I've tried this again and again, but I still get a "Cannot Complete Device Driver Installation Wizard" Error. Can someone help me please? Anyway to do this manually?

jackspratUK

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
The latest Windows 7 drivers are an improvement, but they are still not right. Internal speaker volume is still WAY lower than it should be.

However, there's never been any need to edit drivers and reinstall for Vista or Windows 7 - you can fix this with a simple regedit and reboot.

Just go to the start menu, type regedit and hit return. Now go to EDIT->FIND in the menu, and search for n03OutAmpCaps. When its eventually found you should see REG_DWORD and then a value to the right of it (and a load of other stuff above and below).

n02OutAmpCaps is your headphones, n03OutAmpCaps and n04OutAmpCaps are your internal speakers. The values here depend on the model of your machine, for mine (2009 15" MBP) the headphones were set at 0x80017373 and the internal speakers 0x80016767. I changed both speaker values to the same as the headphones by right clicking and selecting 'modify'.

Once you've done this you may want to search again and repeat, because there may well be more than one copy of these settings.

Reboot, and your speakers will be nice and loud. And you can easily change it back if you don't like it.
Thanks very much! This has improved things hugely. The right speaker is still quieter than the left, but at least they are both loud enough now!

(13" Dec 2009 MacBook Pro, running Win7 Ultimate x64)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.