13" MacBook & 13" MacBook Pro - Differences?

Mac.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
UK
I'm looking at buying a 13" MacBook to replace my 24" iMac, however I'm not sure if the extra £100 for the Pro is worth it? ...what are the benefits?

Thanks.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I'm looking at buying a 13" MacBook to replace my 24" iMac, however I'm not sure if the extra £100 for the Pro is worth it? ...what are the benefits?

Thanks.

I'd get the Pro any day, the Alu is so much nicer.

DivineEvil

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
Pros
SD card slot
backlit keyboard
Unibody Al
FireWire

Cons
Smaller HDD, but the HDDs are so cheap that you can easily upgrade to 500GB.

michaelfengdayu

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Go to an apple store and compare the screens, brightness and colors. That matters the most I think. If Apple uses the same screen. I would go for the macbook if I were a woman.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Go to an apple store and compare the screens, brightness and colors. That matters the most I think. If Apple uses the same screen. I would go for the macbook if I were a woman.
I believe the screen is a fair bit nicer on the pro, which I agree makes it worth while alone.

Also the backlit keyboard is really nice, and the aluminum body is really stunning.

When I think of everything they crammed into this little case it really makes me feel like I got a nice piece of engineering for my money. This is compared to picking up a cheap, ugly, plastic PC notebook that bends in my hands, is thicker, and makes me wonder why i'm paying for something that feels like a kids toy.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
The way the price of the entry level 13 is discounted at some of the retailers, I'd go with the 13. The white one is a good deal too, but you lose the firewire, aluminum, backlit keyboard, etc.

Why not just go with the Pro?

Mac.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
UK
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll go with the Pro.

I'd like the 15" screen, but the extra £400 isn't justifiable in my opinion! :(

I'm going from 24" to 13", huge step down, I know... but I don't really have the cash to put towards a 15" when I sell my iMac. I'd only have to spend an extra £100-£200 to buy the 13"

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
Ram...

Although both machines come with 2GB of ram, you can upgrade the MBP to 8gb whereas the MB is limited to 4GB. I realise not everyone cares but if you use a lot of VM's and server apps 8GB is nice to have and much more usefull than say the 2.53Ghz CPU.

Also from 24" to 13" it's gonna be tough. I went from 22 to 13" and at first I couldn't stand it. THen I learned to use spaces and move windows between them and it's much much better.

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
I sold my alu MB (CE) and bought the 13.3" MBP specifically for the extra MAX ram. I do a ton of virtualization and was constantly ram-constrianed with only 4GB. Now with 8GB, I can do a lot more.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Although both machines come with 2GB of ram, you can upgrade the MBP to 8gb whereas the MB is limited to 4GB. I realise not everyone cares but if you use a lot of VM's and server apps 8GB is nice to have and much more usefull than say the 2.53Ghz CPU.

Also from 24" to 13" it's gonna be tough. I went from 22 to 13" and at first I couldn't stand it. THen I learned to use spaces and move windows between them and it's much much better.
I went from dual 24", to 24" (both on PC), to 13" on mac and I was worried too, but overall I love it. Expose and spaces actually makes it easier to organize things on a 13" mac than in PC, even with a 24" monitor.

The only thing that isn't great is the low resolution makes it hard to fit large images or things on the screen, and you have to scroll around to see it.

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
I sold my alu MB (CE) and bought the 13.3" MBP specifically for the extra MAX ram. I do a ton of virtualization and was constantly ram-constrianed with only 4GB. Now with 8GB, I can do a lot more.
Would you mind telling us where you purchased that ram and how much it costs? I have heard that some brands don't play nice with the MBP. Thanks!

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
I went from dual 24", to 24" (both on PC), to 13" on mac and I was worried too, but overall I love it. Expose and spaces actually makes it easier to organize things on a 13" mac than in PC, even with a 24" monitor.

The only thing that isn't great is the low resolution makes it hard to fit large images or things on the screen, and you have to scroll around to see it.
Only thing I miss, when using a large screen at work, is the ability to tile windows side by side with a simple click. Very handy for data manipulation.

Ammo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
I went the white Macbook route when faced with this same issue.

I LOVE the Macbook. Definitely worth saving the money.

teerexx52

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I went the white Macbook route when faced with this same issue.

I LOVE the Macbook. Definitely worth saving the money.
My wife and I just changed to MacBook Pro 13" and MacBook 13" (the new unibody one) from 15" MacBook Pros. We are using the 13's around the house and out traveling from time to time and use an imac as a desktop with larger screen. I think I like her white macbook better.:) Can't figure out why though.

Ammo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
My wife and I just changed to MacBook Pro 13" and MacBook 13" (the new unibody one) from 15" MacBook Pros. We are using the 13's around the house and out traveling from time to time and use an imac as a desktop with larger screen. I think I like her white macbook better.:) Can't figure out why though.
Don't get me wrong, I love the aluminum and wanted it, but it wasn't worth the extra $$$. Especially with Microcenter offering me a $200 rebate, a Macbook for $800 is something you can't say no to, even if a refurb Pro is $1000.

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
Don't get me wrong, I love the aluminum and wanted it, but it wasn't worth the extra $$$. Especially with Microcenter offering me a $200 rebate, a Macbook for $800 is something you can't say no to, even if a refurb Pro is $1000.
When you're buying computers a good deal is the most important spec to check :) These things are obsolete by the time you get them home.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009

I know that Apple says 4GB max on the White Unibody MacBook (Polycarbonate) but do do suppose that more would work?

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
I know that Apple says 4GB max on the White Unibody MacBook (Polycarbonate) but do do suppose that more would work?
Well, it didn't work with the previous 2.0 and 2.4 Unibody MB (before June 2009). And at around 500 bucks for 2x4GB sticks it's a pretty expensive experiment.

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
Would you mind telling us where you purchased that ram and how much it costs? I have heard that some brands don't play nice with the MBP. Thanks!
Newegg. G-Skill. You can scope out the price yourself. ;)

I've never had a problem with gskill ram in any of my Mac's.