13" Macbook- buy now or later?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macmadant, Feb 3, 2011.

  1. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2005
    #1
    Hi,
    Going to university this coming September and i am thinking of replacing my ageing powermac g4 for a 13" macbook pro. the thing is i don't know whether to look at getting one now or waiting till they upgrade them? I know they're getting this sandy bridge thingy but from what i understand, that will mean going back to Intel integrated graphics? i don't really game that much, but i do occasionally dip in and out of WoW? So i guess my question is, what would be the CPU improvement if any? and what is going to happen in the graphics department, sticking with the nvidia or going back to Intel? and would Intel be worse or better than the existing graphics ?
    Thanks.
     
  2. stridemat Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    Nobody knows. If you don't need the machine till you start college then I would suggest waiting till then.
     
  3. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #3
    I'd wait for the new revision. The CPU bump would be pretty nice, although that might not be necessary, especially if you're not doing anything really heavy with it. The graphics should be at least comparable, as it looks like they will be the intel. However the newer intel integrated chips are supposed to be much better than the current ones, so it should provide respectable performance.

    Aside from the CPU/GPU, we may see some other improvements to it, at which point you can decide if it's worth it to buy the new one, or you could get a refurb of the old one if you don't like it.
     
  4. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2005
    #4
    Okay thanks, I suppose if the new ones come out and CPU performance increase is minimal and GPU performance is well of the pace, then i could always get a refurb.
    Of course i'm assuming the 13" will get this sandy bridge thing, it may just stay the same with higher specs or something ?
     
  5. aCondor macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2010
    Location:
    United States
    #5
    If you don't need it until September there is no problem with waiting. People speculating on whether to buy or not now are usually in dire need of a new laptop, but in your case it is probably best to wait until more info comes out.
     
  6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #6
    Buy it now if you want it. The current 13" is a badass little workhorse and the C2D CPU is a rock solid tried and tested processor. It should serve you well. Just my opinion of course, but I love my 2010 13".
     
  7. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2005
    #7
    Thanks for the reply guys, i think i'll wait and see what happens, my main concern was that there would be a marked reduction in GPU performance with the next revision. If the New one doesn't cut it for me i can always buy a refurb model.
    On an unrelated note, how do i stop iphoto from opening when i connect my iphone, it's really annoying and i can't find out where to turn it off ?
     
  8. greytmom macrumors 68040

    greytmom

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #8
  9. e5volcano macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2010
    #9
    hopefully the new MBP refresh will come out before start of summer for college kids like me
     

Share This Page