13" MacBook Pro could disappear

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pgiguere1, Nov 20, 2011.

1. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

We all heard about the rumors of a new, slimmer, optical-drive-less, high-resolution display, SSD-based MBP in the future.

This got me to think of the difference between a 13" MBA and the upcoming new 13" MBP. Basically, the only difference would be that the Pro would have a non-ULV processor, meaning it would be slightly thicker for extra airflow and bigger battery.

Now you would only choose between a slightly more powerful CPU or slightly thinner body. Other than that, they would be pretty much identical. Apple usually hates having products that are so similar.

Also, if you think of the "Pro" branding, it originally meant that it had discrete graphics (before the 13" MBP), then after it meant it had a SD card reader and high-speed connectivity (FireWire then Thunderbolt).

The 13" MBA now has an SD slot and Thunderbolt, so it's not any less "Pro" than a 13" MBP. Perhaps they could give "Pro" a meaning again and make it define computers with a discrete GPU.

In that case you would have the 15" and 17" MBPs with discrete graphics, and the 11" and 13" MBA with ULV processors and integrated graphics.

If there is enough demand, they could also come up with a 13" MBP with discrete graphics and 15" MBAs with integrated graphics. But then I think that would be too much products for Apple. They tend to not offer a lot of options and keep it as simple as possible.

Thoughts?

2. Risasi macrumors 6502

Yes, it probably will. The question is when...

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Next refresh, the 13" MBP is surely a goner.

Apple would never put a discrete GPU in it, whether feasible or not, as they'd prefer you to spend more and buy the 15 instead.

I'm not complaining about that, just stating that it's more than likely the case.

The 13" Pro really is pro in name only. Great computer, but having no discrete graphics makes it a stretch to consider it a professional machine.

4. some idiot macrumors member

I think all they need to do is give the current MBP a higher-resolution display and it would remain incredibly popular and sell well. I'd own a 13" MBP right now if only it had the same resolution as the MBA.

I could see why people would predict or want it to be more MBA-like or just make it disappear, but I think keeping it how it currently is and keeping it in the lineup would also be a good option.

5. visim91 macrumors 6502

welll you done hit the nail with the hammer on its head.

6. rookiezzz macrumors regular

I would prefer a thin and light weight laptop and a powerful desktop to cover the performance :D

7. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
  8. Spencer Reynen macrumors member

It would be sad to see them go, as I myself own one, but it's inevitable. I have to agree, with Apple supposedly having plans to make the Pro's thinner, the 13" Air and Pro's would be to similar. Besides, I don't see how a 13" Laptop is "Pro" anyways. Oh well!

9. joshuaginter macrumors regular

I agree. I would by a 13" Pro if it had the higher resolution screen. That is the only thing holding me back.

10. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I believe it is Apple's best-selling laptop but sadly I think it will disappear soon.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

That makes no sense

12. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

What makes no sense?

13. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

A non-ulv processor next refresh means a quad core Ivy Bridge CPU vs the MBA's dual core. It also means with the removal of the optical drive they can add a discrete GPU. You can say that they want people to upgrade to the 15" but people still will because the 15" will still offer a better GPU than the 13". The 13" MBP will not be gone.

14. Blues003 macrumors 6502

- The difference between ULV and LV is not negligible. It can mean the MBP 13" becoming Quad Core in 2012, while the MBA is stuck on Dual Core. The only reason the MBA performs comparably to the MBP is the SSD. Try exporting a video on both current models and check for yourself if the difference is minimal. (youtube username DetroitBorg has a video showing this)

- The MBP has more ports. Namely the Ethernet one.

- The MBP has higher potential for RAM upgrades. The MBA's capped at 4GB, while the MBP can go up to 8GB (or even 16GB if you go aftermarket).

- The MBP offers storage space. For 1200€ you get double than what you'd get for a 1600€ MBA. (And if one wants SSD, one can get that as well.)

- The MBP has better screen quality despite the lower resolution.

- The MBP has an Optical Drive. If that goes, it might have a dedicated graphics card.

For all these reasons, I believe the MBP 13" and the MBA 13" are not redundant. And for the fact it's Apple's best-selling laptop, I even more doubt it'll disappear next year.

The way I see it, the MBA will become Apple's main 13" laptop once ULV processors improve considerably, and once SSD cost goes down dramatically. Until there, there's a need for a laptop with better CPU, GPU, RAM, ports, and storage space.

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Some people have pointed out that the 13'' MBP is apple's best selling laptop. Who would discontinue his bestseller?!?

16. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

That will be an unfortunate day for the public :/

17. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I think some sort of air/pro hybrid is more likely, given that currently, there does seem to be some overlap between the 2.

18. cube, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

cube macrumors G5

The 13" MBP should be like the VAIO SA.

Because it's not like that, the Air uses nonstandard storage, and was not sure about the Vaio's noise, I just bought a small inexpensive Thinkpad instead.

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can get a 750gb on the current 13" MBP. How in the world could you possibly get an SSD that big without paying a fortune?

I use firewire for backup, and I want firewire.

I'd hate to see them dump the 13" MBP.

20. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

I posted this a few months ago and was basically tar-and-feathered over even suggesting the idea. ;)

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

In that why would apple's top selling model disappear?

22. Mersailios macrumors regular

I don't think that the 13-inch MacBook Pro will be going away any time soon, as it's one of Apple's most popular notebook models, a lot of university students tend to choose it over the other models for the amount of performance and portability that it provides.

23. Kendo macrumors 68000

The both of you should ask the iPod mini what happened to it during it's prime. In fact it was Apple's best selling iPod (and thus the best selling MP3 player in the world).

24. tbear1 macrumors regular

This is a good idea. The Ivy Bridge micro architecture may push the MBP and MBA functionality even closer.

25. derickdub macrumors 6502

I kind of think it will disappear too.

Not that it's a bad computer (I'm a 13" Pro owner myself), but it doesn't make much sense given the current MBA.

When I bought my 13" MBP the MBA was ridiculously expensive, and obviously aimed at a much different user, where as now the 13" MBP and the MBA are aimed at the same user.

That being said, my next Pro will be the high-end 15", as it can replace my desktop and my 13". The 13" is more of an on-the-go web browsing/word processing computer to me.