13" Macbook Pro Screen Quality

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ethics101, Nov 27, 2011.

1. ethics101 macrumors regular

I was really close to pulling a trigger on a Macbook Air...until I started reading more about it. Battery life is not as good as the Pro, less powerful, and my biggest gripe: lack of glass/black bezel! (Seriously, its one of my favorite things about the Pro and I hope they don't get rid of it with the inevitable refresh).

My only worry is the 13 Pro's screen resolution. Is it really that big a deal for you guys? Does the 1280X800 screen mean its a cheaper looking display? Are colors still just as rich. What is the big difference between the 13's screen and the MBA's 1440X900.

Its really the last hang up for me before I buy. I can deal with the extra 1.5lbs.

$1049 is just too good of a deal to pass up!

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

In my opinion the screen on the Air looks way better than the Pro, in terms of resolution. But as you said I like the glassy display and the colors look really good. I use my 13" Pro hooked up to a screen so I don´t really care about the resolution though.

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Yes, it is that big a deal, for me, the resolution on the Pro feels very poor by comparison. The Air is a great deal sharper, and gives you a fair bit more screen space to play with.

The Air's screen, in terms of colour, is comparable to the Pro with a decent calibration file.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Resolution and colour reproduction are two very different, and independent things.

You can't judge the quality of the screen using only the resolution. Go to a store and look at them both, you'll see for yourself.

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

What are you going to use it for? A lot of people on this forum use there computers to make money, and not just a little bit either. Others use them to do professional photography or video editing. If your just simply looking for a computer to browse the web, take to class for notes, watch some movies and play the odd game, than the screen is fine.

6. ethics101 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm a university student with an employer issued hunk of junk. This is a personal computer for classes, media, surfing. I wish I could just wait for the refresh that will most likely combine the best of the pro and the air into one laptop, but I can't at this moment. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go to the Apple Store to compare the 2 as I was just going to order it online for 1049 and be done with it. :p

Thanks for all the input (very quick)!

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

then buy the 15inch

8. ethics101 thread starter macrumors regular

Too heavy and not worth the premium price imo.

9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

not really, nly 5 ibs

bigger screen, powerful specs and a beast of a machine :D

10. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Taking it to class is a BITCH. It's heavy in my backpack, takes up a lot of desk space, and is just kind of clunky when putting in and taking out of a bag.

I'm still using a 2008 MBP, looking to upgrade within the next few months. I'm definitely looking at a MBA or 13" MBP as my main machine. Just waiting for a new form factor and spec bump.

OP- I would either go with a 13" MBP, or a specced out MBA. If you're not going to be using it for video editing or intense photo editing, I'd go with the Air.

11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Too heavy? Use your college's gym.

12. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

I have been reading these posts regarding the display comparisons of the MBP vs. the MBA.

I have a MBP. The default resolution my computer came with is 1280 x 800.

Which resolution is best? 1024 x 768? 1280 x 800? 1152 x 720?

It has also been difficult to find Wallpaper in the 1280 x 800 measurement. Why is that?

:confused:

13. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Too heavy doesn't mean he can't lift it. If your phone weighed 10 pounds wouldn't that be too heavy for you?

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I'm sorry, to say a 15" MBP is "too heavy" is ludicrous. It's a pound heavier than the 13" MBP.

OP--the MBP has a higher quality panel that provides substantially better color accuracy, while the Air uses a higher resolution panel that looks washed out relative to the Pro. You pay your money, you take your choice.

15. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I had planned on getting a new MBA when the Intel version came out. But after working on one for 15 minutes I developed a headache. After 1.5 hours I had eyestrain that lasted for over 8 hours... So the MBA is out of the question for me.

A little reading online turned up a lot of complaints about LED backlighting, particularly regarding the new MBAs. It appears that Apple is using a different kind of display in the MBA than the MBPs. My 2008 15" MBP has LED backlighting and it has never caused me any problems. My early 2011 13" MBP caused me some discomfort at first, but after calibration, installing Shades and applying a Power Support anti-glare film I am not experiencing any problems.

IMO the 13" MBP base model is the best bang for the buck in the portable Mac lineup. If you can resist all the hype surrounding the MBA you can get more computer for the money, albeit at the cost of a little more weight and bulk.

I snagged my MBP for around $900 during a recent Amazon sale; the same model has been in the refurb store for $929. And the current 13" MBP can be had for around $1000 on sale. (Students at colleges that sell Macs may be able to find even better deals on previous-generation MBPs.) Those are good prices for a very capable Mac that should provide years of service.

16. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The screen resolution is something you have to decide for yourself. I'm using the hi-res 15'' and this is about the lowest resolution I'm going to accept in the future.

In general there are three opinions I think:

1. Screen resolution is very important, and directly affects productivity
    2. No big difference, don't care so much about screen resolution
    3. Prefer low res screens, since icons & text appears larger, easier to read

If you're 2 or 3, the 13'' is fine.

17. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

......but what about which resolution is optimal on the MBP? 1280 x 800, or something else??

18. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

It depends on who you ask.

19. tim100 macrumors 65816

i find the standard res on the mbp 13 and 15 unacceptable. if the mbp is a premium product, the mba should not have a higher res screen. it would be hard for me to buy a 13 mbp.

20. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Since there is no choice on the 13'' MBP, there is no good answer for this question. Either you like the 13'' MBP screen, or you don't. I find the resolution too small, my wife is happy with her 13'' macbook.

21. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I'll trade you my 13" MBP for your 15" lol. Anyways, point taken, not many students are using the 15" form factor at school...so 13"-14" is ideal.

Lawl.

Concur.

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It looks fine.

Granted, I haven't looked at the 13 MBA. I'll probably try not to since I just bought AppleCare for my 13" which means I'm going to keep it for the next 2 years :D

23. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

I thought there WAS a choice on the 13" MBP. If you go to Preferences > Display, there are about 7 or 8 different choices of resolution to choose from.

Which is the best?

24. ethics101 thread starter macrumors regular

1280x800 is the best for the 13 because its the native resolution. The other ones will not be nearly as clear.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think the 13" 1280X800 is good enough for me. I find myself playing the Spec game when in the end I'm staring at spreadsheets.

25. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Ok, then. But where can I find 1280 x 800 wallpaper? For some reason it is really hard to find 1280 x 800 wallpaper.