13" macbook pro -- what options to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ghanwani, Sep 23, 2010.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I'm a long time Windows user and am almost about to get my first macbook pro.
    I've decided to get 13" because weight is a big deal for me.

What upgrades should I get? Here's what I'm currently planning:
    - Base model, 2.4 GHz
    - 4 GB RAM (do I need 8 GB?)
    - 128 GB SSD (I have an SSD in my current Thinkpad T60 hence the choice...is it recommended for the macbook or would I be wasting money here?)
    - Applecare.

Am I missing anything else? Should I be getting any software preloaded such as iWork or something for running Windows? Or can I get those later for the same price as when the machine is first ordered?

Thanks,
    Anoop

2. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

I just orded the standard macboom pro mc374ll/a model from amazon total $1153 no tax free overnight shipping.

3. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

4. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mine prices at just under $2K with taxes because of the SSD and Applecare. Will Amazon customize it?

5. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Too heavy for me.

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Its a 1.1 pound difference, but moving on you do not need the 8gb of ram because unless you do anything intensive it will go unused and if you do install windows via bootcamp, paralles, vmware, etc... you will have to install 64bit to even touch over 3 gigs of that available ram. So for basic use, 4gb is fine. You do have time to upgrade your Warranty/Applecare after buying it, but before it expires.

7. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

No amazon doesnt that im aware of only
    Apple.com

8. mcfly2 macrumors member

I found that with MacMall.com, you can customize, save a little bit off the Apple retail price, get free shipping and avoid tax. But I ended up going with Apple Store refurbished and saved a bunch of money, even with paying tax, and got an extra 4GB of memory (8GB total) at no charge...

9. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info.

1.1 lb is a big deal for me. The other machine I was considering was the Lenovo Thinkpad T410s which comes in at under 4 lb. I also prefer the longer battery life on the 13" models.

Just need a machine for basic home use -- email, web, music. Not much of a gamer. I do plan to have Windows but I don't expect to use it much.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Get the 2.66Ghz version if you can!

Personally, I feel the difference. :eek:

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Ive tried many time and bootcamp or parallels wont accept over 2.75gb of ram. Bootcamp is only using like 2.15gb out of the available 8gb and I have no idea why and it even says 8gb in the system properties but also says 2.15gb useable so I dont know...and parallels 5 would only use 2.75 no matter what settings you played with or adjusted.

12. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Never been big on processor speed (or horsepower in cars for that matter!). I think the most noticeable performance improvement would probably come from SSD. BTW, how long does it take to boot with SSD on these? My XP takes about 45 sec on a 4 1/2 year old Thinkpad T60.

13. tjb1 macrumors 68000

My mbp with the hybrid momentus xt takes ~20 from pressing the button to desktop including typing password, ~14-15 from screen lightup to desktop including password.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yes SSD would be better, but if you have the money, the 2.66Ghz is recommended ;D

15. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Yes. See below. :)

You should really consider it. The 15", while more expensive, is TREMENDOUSLY more powerful. If you do any kind of heavy lifting (video editing, games, etc.) then the 15" is a must. I had the 13" until 2 weeks ago; I sold it and bought the 15" i7. I have ZERO regrets from it. Yeah, its a little heavier, but not really that noticeable. The thing you will notice, though, is the extra bulk of the 15" - it is considerably larger. But (IMHO) its a price worth paying (no pun intended, lol).

16. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502