13" MB 2.26 vs. 13" MBP 2.66

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by badlydrawnboy, Oct 25, 2010.

  1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

    Oct 20, 2003
    I currently have a MacBook 2.26 that was purchased about six months ago, right before the new models came out.

    I'm considering upgrading to a MacBook Pro 2.66 13". I prefer the aluminum enclosure, backlit keyboard and slightly thinner and smaller size. But this alone probably isn't enough to justify the upgrade.

    Will I see much of a performance gain with the MBP? I have a Mac Pro I use as my main computer, and the laptop is just for web, email, word processing, etc.

    How significant is the battery difference? That's another reason the MBP appeals to me. A 10-hour battery would be pretty incredible.

    Another option is the 2.4 13". But that seems even closer to what I already have, and maybe not worth the upgrade. Any thoughts?
  2. wordoflife macrumors 604


    Jul 6, 2009
    Yeah, you will see a performance gain. To be honest though, your computer isn't that bad - at all. Its only, what? a 400 Mhz difference. I would wait for the refreshed 13" MBPs. You wouldn't want to miss out some goodies that Apple might include in the new version. Not to mention, you really don't have a reason as to why you can't wait for the new one, but it doesn't mean you certainly have to wait. It just wouldn't be the smartest idea in my opinion, especially regarding you have a very decent computer to push you along until whenever the next update comes (Even if its next April, which I doubt)
  3. Hisdem macrumors 6502a


    Jul 3, 2010
    Boca Raton, FL
    If you didn't have anything at the moment I would say get it now. But since you have a relatively new MB, I recommend you wait until April or so for the next refresh, which might bring some interesting things to the 13 incher. ;)
  4. rnelan7 macrumors 6502


    Nov 9, 2009
    I don't think you will see that much of a gain in what you do. The programs you use aren't processor heavy. Aluminum unibody and backlit keyboard you will like a lot. I would go for the cheapest mbp refurb you can get and install a ssd. For that money it should be around the same price as a 2.66 but will be much faster for your needs.
  5. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular


    Aug 31, 2010
    I think it would be that much of a difference. (depends what you use it for)

    I dont see a reason for you to waste money on something that is only slightly better than what you have. The only difference between a MB, and MBP is SD card slot, FireWire port, and the backlit keyboard. http://tinylink.in/Compare

    If you want to see a huge difference consider an SSD drive. http://tinylink.in/SSDvsHDD
    they are expensive though.
  6. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

    Oct 20, 2003
    Thanks, everyone. I think I'll just wait until Spring and see what happens. I was hoping they might put an i5 in the 13", but after reading more about it I see that it's not likely due to space constraints.

Share This Page