13" MBP 2.4 compared to 13" MBP 2.66

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Jun 13, 2010.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i'm buying my new laptop tomorrow, but i'm wondering if there's any big difference between these two?

i know, mroogle. but everybody's situation is different, since what they do on their laptop is different.

but, for a 200 dollars, I'm assuming that there's not that big of a difference between the two.

2.4 and 2.66.

the only thing I really do on the laptop is record music.
    i mean, the only thing i do that is whatsoever extensive or wearing or whatever.

anyway, do you think it would be worth it?

short answers are fine, I'm kindof assuming it 's a no. but I thought I would just double check with you guys before jumping off the diving board since you guys seems to know your stuff most of the time.

show me your moves.

2. troy14 macrumors 6502a

complete waste of money.

sure it might look great, 2.4 vs 2.66. but in reality it's a difference of 260 mhz, that is crap.

you could take that 200$ and use it for a SSD (if you wanted, i personally dont see the need for them, i'm just a normal web surfing / music downloading junkie), that'd give you a REAL performance boost..

it already comes with 4gb of ram, so you're solid there. 8gb would be a waste imo too..

you could buy a 7200rpm bigger hard drive too... that'd give a slight boost as well.

i recommend buying the 2.4ghz and do what you want on it, i think youre be beyond satisfied and if you REALLY think it's slow you can return it or do upgrades on it.

3. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i wanted to upgrade the harddrive to a faster rps since that's really nice to have when recording music,
    i've had it say that the disk isn't fast enough when recording before with my last mac. but they don't offer a faster rps harddrive for the 13"

no idea why.

might upgrade that myself later though i guess.

only reason i was double checking processor is because i can't upgrade that later.

4. marksandvig macrumors regular

I think its because Apple is on a crusade for top battery life numbers, and a 7200 rpm drive would hinder those

5. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Buy the base 2,4 and invest on a 7200 rpm HDD, you'll get a 500gb one for about that money...

6. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

I have a 2.66 so I am a bit biased, but I used it next to a 2.4 and the difference was noticeable. But not enough to justify the cost. The biggest hickup in speed nowadays is hard disks. I am waiting to upgrade to ssd until the prices drop a little... like until I can get 200 gb ssd for $200. I know, it'll never happen, but a person can dream, right?

As far as 8 gb of ram being a *waste*, maybe 8 gb but upgrading to 5 or 6 would be beneficial. Then again, I don't know what type of stress you'll be putting the computer through, so it could be a *waste*.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Get the 2.4GHz as to the 2.66 because you wont notice a difference at all in real world usage.

Besides you can get the 2.4GHz, 4GB ram, nvidia 320m macbook pro from microcenter right now for $999. Even with student discount from the apple store, you'll save an additional $100. Unless you want the free ipod touch I suppose then buy it from apple.

8. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

at the price of the highend MBP13 i would upgrade to the base MBP15 instead. Or in the MBP13 get the 2.4 with an aftermarket SSD. the premium for the 2.66 is a joke!

9. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

In your mind maybe.

10. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Noticeable doesn't mean considerable. At all. That's why I said it isn't worth the cost for the processor alone. But the bigger HD makes it more attractive. Yes, it is still too much money... can't that be said for all apple products? Mind you this was running very cpu intensive programs so for the average user I know that there will be no noticeable difference AT ALL.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

IMO, I think the OP should get the 2.4GHz model and just get a 500GB HDD (can be had for little as $100 something dollars now). I never look at hdd size when I buy a notebook though because I always have a much better one that I can replace it with and these unibody macbook pros are very easy to upgrade the hdd. In my case, I had an intel ssd to put into my 13".

The 2.4GHz macbook pro can be had for $999 now at microcenter (which is now almost a $500 difference between the 2.4GHz and the 2.66GHz model) and yes even with student discount considered.

12. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

related question...will it void any warranty to open up the computer an replace something? I'm waiting until I can reasonably afford a 200 GB ssd

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Well officially if you open it you are voiding your warranty. BUT as long as you dont break anything in the process of upgrading your hard drive, then you should be ok.

Even if you have to send in your macbook pro in the future for issues unrelated to your hard drive upgrade, it'll be fine. I've had a older macbook pro where something went wrong so I replaced the original stock RAM and hard drive back into the macbook pro and shipped it to Apple Care with no problems. Thats why you should always keep the original RAM and HDD.

Well mostly the HDD as it has the apple logo on it, but the RAM doesnt matter too much but I've heard of stories where people were getting their RAM jacked from the service centers (back then when you upgraded your macbook pro's RAM to 4GB it would come back shipped with 2GB of RAM).

14. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Upgrading/replacing the HDD and RAM doesn't void warranty.