Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What was the ONE deal-breaker for you to pass on the 13"?

• Processor - lack up susstantial update

Votes: 100 54.6%
  • Graphics - lack of dedicated memory

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • High-Res Screen - lack of the high res option

Votes: 39 21.3%
  • Anti-Glare - lack of anti-glare option

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • HDD - lack of 7200rpm option or other related

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I want to vote for CPU and GPU. Neither are enough of an upgrade, especially considering the other offerings out there that show what IS possible.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
CPU, Graphics, and anti-glare.

BTW, where does Apple come off charging MORE for the anti-glare option? Do you or do you not get less hardware in the form of the missing glass panel ??

tikidoc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2010
Still not sure if I am going to pass, but if so, I would say "a combination of the above".

LucidPsychosis

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
Knoxville, TN
It's a tie between the CPU and the lack of 7200 RPM HDDs.

I'm so damn disappointed. I was looking to get a 13" ASAP, but with these crummy specs I may as well wait and see what the refreshed standard Macbook looks like spec-wise.

The GPU is also disappointing, but it's not a deal breaker.

LUCIDEDIT: If it had had either of the aforementioned deal breakers for me, I would have settled ( would still be bitching, but I would have settled).

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
CPU plain and simple, the GPU would be fine for me. But to get a price hike along with yet another C2D really hurt. Its £1000 in the UK and thats a serious wedge for a c2d laptop (albeit the best designed 13" in production). I am still undecided about whether to order or not. The initial anger/frustration has now passed and I have gone madly scouring the web for a windows alternative, but I just can't bring myself to do it. At least I have my iMac to use, but seriously miss the convenience of a laptop since selling my 2.26 C2D MBP.

What to do...................

boostmiser

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
I'm sure there are many in the 'combo' pack (me too) but I wanted to isolate the real deal breaker...the one thing you can't live without on this refresh
Maybe you could live with the cpu but must have the high-res screen for photo editing? Maybe you could live with the cpu and glossy screen but not the gpu since you are a gamer? You get the idea.

Groat

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
Unfortunately it was the price increase for me, everywhere else seems to have gotten same prices and maybe cheaper for the base 13" model, whereas the UK has gotten a £99 or so increase.

Maybe i'll see what eBay/refurbs has to offer me, I still want a 13" just at a lower price.

Ciel-

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
So does anyone think that there will be a minor refresh sometime before school starts up in the Fall? And if so, do you think they'd ditch the C2D and put in an iX chip?

I'm really disappointed they didn't throw in an i3 or i5, or at least give the option. Do you think they may bump the 13" to one of these by Fall?

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
So does anyone think that there will be a minor refresh sometime before school starts up in the Fall? And if so, do you think they'd ditch the C2D and put in an iX chip?

I'm really disappointed they didn't throw in an i3 or i5, or at least give the option. Do you think they may bump the 13" to one of these by Fall?

I doubt it...they went through the trouble of getting a custom (albeit underwhelming) graphics solution made specifically to work with the Core 2 setup. They won't be updating these for a while.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
The 13" won't be my main computer. Performance isn't what I'm concerned about BUT that doesn't mean I'm happy about the lack of the i3. And just how good is an i3 over the offered 2.4 C2D? I really want to what we're missing. I do like seeing the 10hr battery because I was telling my friend how I wished the 13" had the battery life the iPad got.

I'd also like to see a matte option as well. I'm okay with the glass screen. I love the glass screen on my iMac over my G4's matte screen. Images are sharper.

But I'll still buy one when the free iPod promo comes back this summer. :p

iTootyFrooty

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
Essex, UK
UK Price..

UK prices are disgusting. It went up from around £900 to £1000 for the base model. In the US, the Base model is $1199 which works out to about £770. I am not going to pay £230 more for something that is £230 less... It's as if we're paying for what has been upgraded on top of the old prices.
For that £230 I could get a new ipod or something else. Unless I get a friend to bring one back for me from America, I'm not going to be ripped off.

Edit:
To add, I'd be paying £1000 for a C2D laptop... Eh?

Groat

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
UK prices are disgusting. It went up from around £900 to £1000 for the base model. In the US, the Base model is $1199 which works out to about £770. I am not going to pay £230 more for something that is £230 less...
For that £230 I could get a new ipod or something else. Unless I get a friend to bring one back for me from America, I'm not going to be ripped off.

I totally agree with you. I was up for paying the premium for the apple product, as long as the price stayed the same/dropped. However, when it went up in the UK and stayed the same in the US I was furious.

Unfortunately I don't have any friends in America to buy me one, nor do I want to go through the hassle of import dax/duties by importing one.

Grr!

SaddleSC

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Missing Option on Poll

To be fair, I think the poll should have included an option for people, who are in my position. While slightly disappointed in the processor, I have put off buying a replacement for a long time and do not find any of these traits to be an absolute deal-breaker. I need the most portable MBP available and will be buying the 13" despite it's minor flaws.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Seems like a good update that will keep the core market very happy. What do people really need with a iX processor, increased resolution and antiglare screen on a 13" laptop?!?

iTootyFrooty

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
Essex, UK
Seems like a good update that will keep the core market very happy. What do people really need with a iX processor, increased resolution and antiglare screen on a 13" laptop?!?

Some people want power and portability in a 13" laptop. Is that really so surprising? For some, it's not even that you need those upgrade, but the fact that you are still paying a premium price for a laptop with.. let's just say non-premium specs. Not to say that this hasn't been the case for a long time, because Apple are known for doing this, but it is frustrating this time round.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
I drank the kool-aid after the announcement and put my Macbook Pro on sale. Now a few hours after the effect has worn off, and I think I won't swap after all. Not a sufficient upgrade for the whole machine.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

Who knows. The angst is kind of amazing to me. I mean we're talking a MACBOOK PRO portable at $1200. This is pretty much Apple's entry-level notebook. I had to use an education discount to get my $1799 MBP three years ago, and it didn't have these specs.

I was amused in another thread that had performance on certain video games. Let me tell you that if you want to play these top-notch games, DON'T GET A NOTEBOOK. They're really not made for it. The processors get so much hotter running that stuff and I'm thinking playing WOW so much on mine has probably contributed to its recent troubles. I'm also betting it's part the old video adapter and part "stuff just breaks."

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
I drank the kool-aid after the announcement and put my Macbook Pro on sale. Now a few hours after the effect has worn off, and I think I won't swap after all. Not a sufficient upgrade for the whole machine.

I love how every other tool on MR uses the reference of a mass suicide to iterate his or her petty distaste of everything apple does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.