13" MBP - Questionable Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hanurk, Jun 12, 2009.

1. hanurk macrumors member

I just picked up my 13" MBP today, and when I first turned it on, it had around 86% battery left and lasted for about 2:30 hours. I then used the battery down to about 18% and then fully charged it, left the adapter in for 2 hours and when i unplugged it, it estimates I have 2:40 hours left on my battery. Did i get a faulty battery?

2. fts3v3r macrumors newbie

Just got my 13in MBP this morning and I'm experiencing similar results. Pretty disappointed so far since I was expecting somewhere around 6 hours.

3. hanurk thread starter macrumors member

Is it supposed to only last for 2:30 hours? I have airport and bluetooth off, but will the battery get "stronger" with more charges?

4. fts3v3r macrumors newbie

I think I'm getting about 4 hours on the first cycle. Apple advertises "up to" 7 hours... One thing I'll try tomorrow that Apple suggest doing for new computers is calibrating the battery. Hopefully more people will chime in on this issue.

5. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Most batteries don't have a full charge right out of the gate. Completely drain your battery a few times. Battery life should significantly increase.

6. rfb macrumors member

I just read the review that Apple is advertising on their home page. It says that it got 4 hrs. and 44 min. on their battery test. Not quite the 7 that I was expecting...
    I am expecting mine to come on the 18th, and it is my first notebook, so I need to ask a dumb question.. How do you calibrate the battery? :confused:
    Also, what is the best way to improve the life of the battery..i.e. leave it plugged in most of the time, or only to charge, shut down each night, etc.
    Thanks!

7. Lipstick macrumors member

8. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Just read the post above you. It's literally just draining your battery until it dies or is dying. It might take more than 1 or 2 times to get the max effect though.

9. rfb macrumors member

I did! We must have been typing at the same time! Thanks!!:)

10. rfb macrumors member

So, how often after those first few times should you let the battery drain like that?

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...interesting to see the long term life of the new batteries... how are your brightness settings, etc?...

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Once every month is the rule of the thumb as it seems.

13. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Well they never got the advertised 5 hours either with realistic use so don't be too disappointed.

14. hanurk thread starter macrumors member

My brightness is set at half. and my current battery capacity is 5563 mAh out of the original 5450 mAh

15. noeone420 macrumors newbie

i got mine on tuesday and out the box i charged it to 100%,then i unplugged and used as normal using the battery. then when it got to like 11% i plugged the charger. i think the first charge lasted about a little more than 5 hours really didnt count. now im trying to run this charge until really low and doing the calibrating thing. hopefully this will help.

16. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

When you put more stress on your computer, say like watching videos and things like that, the time will significantly go down.

Say like 100% battery while watching youtube videos, it might say like 3 hours. But, if your at 100% and your only word processing, or have it idle, it may go up to 5-7 hours. So it always fluctuates.

It constantly adjusts to what you are doing and how much load is on the CPU.

Think of it like a GPS that is telling you how far you are from your destination. It tracks the average speeds and calculates it upon that. If your going fast, the time to get there will be soon. But if your going slow, it may calculate a longer time.

17. Roba macrumors 6502

This calibrating seems like a bit of a myth. Yes it is good to calibrate for long term battery health. I have never seen it improve my battery life though compared to what i have got on a first run down test. I was getting great battery life from the go.

You need to do things like turn of bluetooth the backlight keyboard and run it in the better battery life setting. Mind you i'm basing that on a 2007 MB, may be now Apple might have changed the last setting.

If your doing all the above and still getting that kind of battery life it is very disappointing.

18. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

when you read the review, that battery life was in vista! try in osx and i think it might be a little better. i get about 4 hours in osx on my CE macbook but only about 2.5 hours in windows xp.

19. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

A couple of things to note :

1: Apple's advertised battery life is the maximum they recorded under lab test conditions which they will have configured just right so the computer isn't really working and the battery is not working so much.

2: New batteries will have been charged to some degree in the factory but they will obviously deplete in the time they take to get to you so you should always charge them.

3: Calibrating the battery only improved the battery life by a few amps but always helps the battery in the long term.

4: It's best to use the battery as much as you can to keep it "exercising" however, there will be a point down the road where it will degrade rapidly like any battery.

5: That ampage or battery life is no better than my 13" uni macbook.

P.S. - Screen brightness is one of the biggest battery drainers.

20. Philflow macrumors 65816

Make some deep cycles = Fully drain the battery and then charge it to 100%.

21. picklesmand macrumors member

Ok people really seem to misunderstand what calibrating the battery means.

This is how it works, in a nutshell. The time listed in the menu bar is an estimate of how much time you have left if you keep using your computer at its current load. If you start doing some CPU intensive tasks, it will go down a lot, and when you stop, it will go back up.

Calibrating is how you accurately tell the battery how much total capacity it actually has. You do this by charging to full and then draining to *completely* empty, to when even the sleep light turns off. It then keeps track of how much power it *actually* used to go from full to empty, and then can make more accurate estimates.

22. picklesmand macrumors member

You should only do this every month - two months, btw. It doesn't improve the health of the battery (just normal light discharges down to around 50% does that).

23. hanurk thread starter macrumors member

so does everyones battery estimate it will last for about 3 hours after a full charge? all i do is browse the internet and ichat for a little bit

24. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I have the uMB and I can tell you that five hours is simply hype. A genius told me to expect not much more than 2:30 and the best I've ever done is 3:30, after repairing permissions, and cranking brightness all the way down and with BT and WiFi off.

I wouldn't expect anyone to ever approach 7 hours and I'm not surprised that typical use will mean a little over four hours. :rolleyes: