13" MBP remains as Core 2 Duo :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silverblack, Apr 13, 2010.

1. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

The two models of the 13 inch MBP remain as Core 2 Duo processors, how disappointing. Something else not making sense is the price difference of $300 to go from 2.4 to 2.66 Ghz and a slightly bigger HDD, 320 instead of 250 GB (both models have the same 4 GB of RAM). It is now such a bad deal to shell out the extra money for the higher model.

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

spot on with price difference...maybe i3 in low supply

3. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

I am so glad that I didn't wait for this highly anticipated update. I went ahead a bought an Aluminum Macbook from ebay 2 weeks ago, the one with a swappable battery (2.4 GHz, illuminated keyboard). Best decision ever made.

4. easy-mac macrumors member

It could be that the i3 was in short supply, or I think a more likely scenario is that Apple is being locked into Intel chipsets with the Intel integrated graphics since that's what's in the 15 and 17 inch models. I don't see Apple dropping the graphics capability that low in the 13 inch model to make use of the i-core processors and there's no room for a discrete graphics card in the 13 inch, so I'd say it's stuck with C2D for a while until Apple finds a way to get around Intel's chipset requirements.

5. oHai macrumors member

I waited (since last year, actually!) and I'm a little disappointed with this update, but I'm still going to get one. I don't need iSeries performance; I was really just waiting for the sake of waiting. Even though it's still a C2D, they pretty much bumped every spec they could and kept the price the same, so I can't really complain TOO much.

6. Montys macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if it would be possible in the future to replace the battery (58 watt) in the previous MBP with the new one (62,5 watt)? They both use a 60 watt charger and there doesn't seem to be any change in size for the 13".

7. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

With such a small bump in specs, I'm going to wait to see what they do with the MB Air before I buy, since I was planning to wait for the back to school promotion anyways. If they go to 4 GB RAM and increase the hard drive size, it might be worth it for what I do. What a bummer. Boo, Apple.

8. gilljoy macrumors member

yea im not gona get a macbook pro for a while now.

i was gona get the 13" but i wanted core i3 or i5

mite wait until the back to school offers and use that, get the rebate and sell the ipod and get a 15" i5

9. Sugar-Bear macrumors newbie

I feel so much better now,I got my 13inch pro back in January. Only real difference is battery and gcard current pro never lasted 7 hours anyway. Can never really trust apples battery predictions, only way to get 7 hours is turn of back light keyboard and monitor brightness to very very low.

The 13's will move away from core2duo's in the late revision,but you might as well buy now can't keep waiting, if ya do theirs no real point in buying one in the end.

10. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

The 13" MBP update is, as his Holiness S.Jobs would put it, "A Bag of Hurt".

Anyone who disagrees just drank too much of the kool-aid.

11. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

And after the Air updates why not wait for the next bad boy pro line up becasue you never know what you might miss out on.:rolleyes:

Some people are just destined never to own a Mac.

12. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

What an asinine reply.

If they had made a respectable bump in the specs on the 13", I would have decided to go with a 13" MBP with no hesitation. And I have said all along that I was planning to wait for the back to school promotion before buying, and that a 15" was out of the question for me, because it is too big to be really portable.

I never really considered the Air previously, but it is due for an update as well, so it is certainly reasonable to wait and see what they do with that, especially since I had not planned on purchasing as soon as the update came out anyway. If they go to 4MB of RAM and a bigger hard drive, closing the significant gap between the current Air and MBP, it might be worth it for me now.

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'm not really a spec chaser, but this seems a little absurd. My brother's late 2006 white MacBook has the same CPU.

Yeah, it's clocked slower at 2 GHz...but still.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp23

14. February1088 macrumors member

15. lilo777 macrumors 603

To be exact - it's most of people.

16. kotslu macrumors newbie

i asked some friends in the notebook industry, the i3 is INDEED on short supply, probably won't improve until after June.

Apple COULD HAVE adopted the i3 on the 13" but supply limited quantity to users.

Apple could just NOT refresh the 13" at all and let people wait until i3 supply is more stable.

I think the current update does make sense.

ps: I will buy the 15"

17. richard371 macrumors 68000

Now I have no reason to switch.

Now I don't feel compelled to sell my 13" for the new 13" I am happy with the battery life I have, 9400m is fine for what I do.

18. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

5 months ago I was debating whether to wait for the update or buy the high end 13" macbook pro. I am sooooooo glad I pulled the trigger. If I had waited this long for this update I would have been pretty let down. Now my current 13" that I have had is still pretty current specced with the new ones :). As for the updated graphics card I guess that is a good update, however I don't game on my laptop so it is meaningless to me.

19. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Screw the i3. The 13" should have had both i5 options, its strait up taking the piss.

20. Retzius macrumors newbie

I can agree with everyones disappointment on the 13" model. I bought it last summer and was waiting to see what apple would come up with and am disappointed. I think it should have been at least an i3 processor. A lot of the the 13" users are not going to want to buy the 15" model because it is much bigger and more $$$. The 13" model is the perfect sized laptop for portability in my opinion.

21. lilo777 macrumors 603

It might be a reason to switch to PC though :D

22. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Hey, why not go in every thread and just the same thing, hammer it home more eh?

23. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

the reason apple did not use the i3 is because they would be limited to intel integrated graphics. And people would have complained about that too. Apple should have just used the i5 with integrated graphics, now they are stuck looking for discrete graphics in the future updates as intel will continue to integrate the chipset in the processor.

24. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

intel prohibited nvidia igfx and saddled their cpus with anachronistic intel hd, that don't support open cl which is one of the cornerstones of snow leopard. Apple elected to offer a great igfx by invidia and take the 10% hit of the c2ds against the i series. Wise choice. Even if it is an interim choice.

And the choice to stick with the c2d (instead of going for a 10% cpu gain and the atrocious intel graphics) is a gutsy and wise one. The small macbook pros now get the superb nvidia ig at 2x performance and better econonomy, open cl enabled (whilst the crappy intel ones aren't) to assist the cpu too.

The only bothersome bit, is that damn insistence on no anti glare for the 13", I would buy it in a breath if it had that...

25. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

this is the only thing we can agree on.