13" MBP Temperature/Fan Speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cnichols785, Jun 12, 2009.

1. cnichols785 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I just traded in my 13" 2.0 GHz MacBook Unibody for the newer 2.26 GHz Pro. I noticed that the newer model is noticeably warmer to the touch than its predecessor so I installed smcFanControl on both computers.

The newer MacBook Pro with a couple programs open, is running at around 75 deg Celsius with fan speed over 3000 RPM while the older one with same programs open runs at around 45 deg Celsius and 1800 RPM fan speed.

The first thing I did to the new MacBook Pro was upgrade the RAM to 4GB with the Crucial kit and upgrade the drive to a 5400 RPM 500 GB Seagate Momentus. Could this explain the heat?

I have also been having intermittent spinning beach balls and one 30 second long freeze. I'm probably going to put the original RAM back in and see what happens, then try the drive.

Any suggestions? Also, could a few people post their temps & fan speed from a new 13" MBP from smcFanControl. Thanks a lot!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you looked at Activity Monitor which processes might use the CPU more than usual?

Have you tried an SMC reset yet, or repaired permissions?

3. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

My 15" Macbook Pro can also run a bit on the hotter side at times. Not much venting available on these new Macbooks :(

4. LowMach macrumors member

so you don't know the temp before the upgrades?

i haven't got smc to control my fan speed yet. I was wondering if i am doing something wrong? it reads temp but will nto speed up the fan when told to.

i tried fan control as well but i ask for 4k and get 2.5k

stock the fan runs at 1800-2000

my temps are 43-52 C while surfing and running a handful of apps

my temps are 67-88 C while running fusion win7

5. jboyzh macrumors member

MBP 13" 2.53: Light surfing, Safari with some tabs, Mail and some text stuff in between, the fan is at 2000rpm most of the time, temps around 46-50 deg celsius = super quiet and comfortable on the lap.

6. cnichols785 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so it looks like it's a little acting strange, as I've just got safari running now and it's almost 80 deg c and 2200 RPM. I'm going to try replacing the RAM.

I did the SMC reset and after I booted, I got the diagonal line through the circle icon meaning that some critical file was missing but did a hard shutdown and restarted and the problem was gone. Also tried zapping the PRAM. Haven't tried repairing permissions yet.

Thanks for your help.

7. cnichols785 thread starter macrumors newbie

After setting the desired speed, you need to select "Higher RPM" from Active Setting by clicking the temp/RPM icon on the top bar.

8. cnichols785 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I was able to get the temp and fan speed down by swapping the upgraded hard drive (500GB) for the 160GB from my old MacBook Unibody. Now it cruising at around 47 deg C and 2000 RPM!

Just so you know, the new (hot) hard drive was a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 (5400 RPM, 500 GB). I guess I'll just be using the 500 GB externally...Too bad, but better than the annoying heat & fan noise.

9. zsnow macrumors regular

i notice this too. it looks this new 13' umbp is little warmer than my previous umb

10. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Mine hasn't got over 39c (cpu) and 2000rpm fan. Left it running a long java movie on youtube to see if it heated up any but nothing.

11. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Hmm that's weird, i guess there is a problem on your computer not displaying things correctly.

12. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

More likely when you shut down to switch drives you killed the runaway process heating things up. The HDD wouldn't affect the CPU temp that much. It would burn you through the palmrest if it did.

13. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Agreed.

14. MagnumClayz macrumors newbie

Hot MacBook Pro

Mines 2.53, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD. Right now its running at 133 degrees at 2000 rpm. It tends to get really hot in the upper-left hand corner more than anything. :mad:

15. LowMach macrumors member

133 degrees Fahrenheit ?

if so that seems right inline with everyone else here so far.

so how does the op get to use his new HD while running cooler?

whats the runaway process? heads to google... ok i am down with the runaway comment now: your suggesting he had a program that was consuming resources causing the unit to run hot.

16. maennj macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm also concerned about my MBP 13" temperature. According to iStats, CPU temp is 75-79 while firefox browsing, I can't feel any hot air coming out from the notebook. Is that normal ? Or should I take it to the store to check it out ?

Thanks

17. MagnumClayz macrumors newbie

yes fahrenheit.

18. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I doubt that very much, as the whole laptop is cold to the touch even after 2/3 hours constant usage. Using iStat Pro to get readings.

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The OP's problem might have been a stuck printer job process. Those use 100% CPU and are still running after restart (I think).

To make sure you don't have any process sucking up your CPU, open Activity Monitor and select Show: All processes from the drop down menu in the main window, then sort by CPU usage.

20. offall macrumors newbie

Me too, I have got my 13' unibody MBP for two weeks now.
    I have found that my fan does not go more than 2000 RPM until 90 Celsius degree.
    only after that, the fan goes to 2700RPM+ and trying to cool down the machine.
    I think apple emphasize on controlling the fan noise when design this generation of MPB, however, this is NOT a ideal setting for a laptop computer at all!

I tried SMC fan control but that is not what I want, I want to lower down the threshold of speeding, not maintain the fan at higher speed even in idle.

I haven't tried the extended fan control
    http://www.derman.com/Download/Special/MBpFanControl.html
    because my 13 MBP only have one fan other than two as in the extended fan control
    Also I am sure about resetting SMC part (even the apple site doesn't have corresponding instruction for resetting SMC on latest MBP)

Has anyone here tried extended fan control on the latest MBP? Does it work as expected?

21. cababah macrumors 68000

I hit 95C today doing an extended video iChat session with effects and only at 95C did thr fans finally get above 2000rpm and quickly cooled down the machine but yeah...95 freaking C

22. offall macrumors newbie

Glad to know I am not the only one out there.
    But Apple really put us in dangerous situation
    Now I regret not getting the applecare

23. cababah macrumors 68000

I would get apple care if I were you. that is a given...the temp thing shouldn't bother you as long as your computer gets around to cooling itself off. that is how I feel anyway...if you are being burned by the computer and it is overheating and shutting down..well that presents a problem..laptop components are designed to run hot. that is the bi product of squeezing power in small spaces.

24. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

So, it was the Seagate Momentus causing the heat problem after all then?
    Glad I'm not doing my own upgrades, it's good to have peace of mind knowing the internals chosen by Apple are performing reliably and within thermal constraints.

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not the least worried. Yes that is in Celsius and has been that temperature for the last 30 minutes with no change in fan speed:
    [​IMG]