Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TazmoStarkana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
So I finally got all the components to my setup and am saddened by the poor performance of the 13" MBP /w TB with the LG 5K display.

The performance of the 13" is generally bad even when disconnected from the display.

I can't even play League of Legends on the lowest settings without getting over 20fps.

And there always seems to be some stupid process mds mds_store (spotlight related crap) that hogs my performance and makes everything just terrible.

I also notice many issues when the laptop is connected to the display. Sometimes the big curser (when you move your mouse very quickly) gets stuck to the screen. Resizing windows is choppy. Just general use is terrible.

How could apple ship something like this with such bad performance with a monitor they claim will work.

Is there a way to test if my SSD or system is in good health? Perhaps I have a defective unit.

I ordered the laptop from B&H and I don't know if I can return it now... What can I do??

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013
I am almost 100% sure you don't have a defective unit.

Which resolution did you use for LoL on the 5k display?

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Rendering any modern 3d game at 5k and decent settings/fps with current gen tech is usually a no-go, especially on Mac hardware. You are after all asking it to render almost 15 million pixels, or over 7 times full HD.

General UI performance takes a hit from this as well. I've had both the 13" tbMBP and the 15" tbMBP (both base models) and the 15" is noticeably more smooth when connected to my 4k display (8 million pixels).

As for the mds_store problem, I don't know. Maybe google can be of help?

Your problems don't sound like SSD related problems. You can run the normal suite of benchmarks (Geekbench, Cinebench and so on) to see if your Mac scores in line with others of the same model.

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Looks perfectly normal!

I think most of it is down to the iGPU not being enough for smooth 5k 60hz yet.

My suggestion for you is get the 15" (if you can return your current 13"). I went from a 13" to a 15" and the difference once connected to even a 4k monitor (8 million pixels) is rather big. The 13" is not slow, but there is small stutters everywhere. The 15" on the other hand is smooth, even with the base Radeon Pro 450.

Reactions: michaelromanenko

halfbad

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2014
Try without the display first and isolate the issue. Try 1080p, no fps cap at mediums settings. Start with that and then compare results.

Also boot the game in pure full screen mode and then windowed mode at full size and note the difference as well.

TazmoStarkana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
9ZGAwBb.png

[doublepost=1483744525][/doublepost]I can play the game with 70fps on max settings without the 5K display.

So it's the 5K for sure.

But every now and the my resources are consumed by mdworker mds mds_stores which all seem to be related to spotlight.

This is with a fresh setup too. I reinstalled the OS twice and it keeps popping up by default.
[doublepost=1483745721][/doublepost]And here is thr activity monitor when playing LoL with lowest setting on x1440 resolution. Nothing else is running in the bg and the average fps i get is 20

oXg6GUT.jpg

[doublepost=1483746465][/doublepost]OK so I noticed something else:
When I crank up the settings to the highest quality, I get the same FPS!

When I dont move the mouse and the screen is stationary, the FPS jumps up to 40-ish. When I start scrolling the screen across the map that's when the FPS drops significantly. I also notice it drop when I move the mouse.

My guess is the stitching of the 2 thunderbolt ports is the problem.

Any thoughts?

If I return the 5K display for a 4K will I have the same issues? What sucks is the 4K is 21-inch. I like the 27-inch size... =/

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Gaming on a Mac, I never would have even considered it. Especially when a $350 Xbox can do 4K HDR. Right tool for the job.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Gaming on a Mac, I never would have even considered it. Especially when a $350 Xbox can do 4K HDR. Right tool for the job.

Eh I hate playing games on a Xbox/Playstation, I liked the PSP but obviously that's outdated, and the PS Vita was outdated within months. I love playing games on my iPad but they're hasn't been a -game- to really stress that hardware in ~2-3 years, kinda dropped off with the iPad Air (maybe due to the increase in freemium games?). Started playing games on my Mac though and I love it! I knew there was a reason I got the dGPU in my MBP last year, just wish it could do a little more.

TL;DR: Sometimes you just don't like a certain consoles/ devices way of playing games.

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
9ZGAwBb.png

[doublepost=1483744525][/doublepost]I can play the game with 70fps on max settings without the 5K display.

So it's the 5K for sure.

But every now and the my resources are consumed by mdworker mds mds_stores which all seem to be related to spotlight.

This is with a fresh setup too. I reinstalled the OS twice and it keeps popping up by default.
[doublepost=1483745721][/doublepost]And here is thr activity monitor when playing LoL with lowest setting on x1440 resolution. Nothing else is running in the bg and the average fps i get is 20

oXg6GUT.jpg

[doublepost=1483746465][/doublepost]OK so I noticed something else:
When I crank up the settings to the highest quality, I get the same FPS!

When I dont move the mouse and the screen is stationary, the FPS jumps up to 40-ish. When I start scrolling the screen across the map that's when the FPS drops significantly. I also notice it drop when I move the mouse.

My guess is the stitching of the 2 thunderbolt ports is the problem.

Any thoughts?

If I return the 5K display for a 4K will I have the same issues? What sucks is the 4K is 21-inch. I like the 27-inch size... =/
CPU won't be the limiting factor in LoL at 20 fps. The GPU is. You say x1440 resolution, do you mean 2560x1440 or does it actually render at the full 5120x2880?

TazmoStarkana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
CPU won't be the limiting factor in LoL at 20 fps. The GPU is. You say x1440 resolution, do you mean 2560x1440 or does it actually render at the full 5120x2880?
2560x1440

As I said before the fps drops by half when I scroll around the map. But if it is fixed and I just watch the action on the screen then it runs at 40fps.

Is this because of the hack connecting 2 DP1.3 ports to push a 5K?

I'm totally screwed now. I can return the monitor which I will because it has bending issues. What am I going to replace it with now ? That's the big question. I wouldn't mind the 4K display but don't like the tiny 21 inch size. And I am not sure how well it will work with that either.

My entire setup was designed around this display being the hub connecting it all. I wish I could go back and buy a 15 inch MacBook. I did not expect the 13 inch to be sooo weak.

Apple has totally failed me.

TazmoStarkana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
F-it. I am returning both the laptop and 5k display. Will continue with my 2014 15" MBP + Dell 4K display. Gives me much better performance and experience than this new garbage from Apple.

Reactions: theitsage

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
F-it. I am returning both the laptop and 5k display. Will continue with my 2014 15" MBP + Dell 4K display. Gives me much better performance and experience than this new garbage from Apple.

Man, do you even know anything about GPU, discrete and integrated one ?

OF COURSE even a 2014 MacBook Pro with discrete graphic card will perform significantly faster than a 2016 MacBook Pro with an integrated GPU. Even more when you mention that the 2014 MacBook Pro drive a 4K screen and the 2016 MacBook Pro drive a 5K screen.

It's not garbage, you just assumed that the 13' MacBook Pro was good to drive games on your 5K screen, come on, it's an integrated graphic card, it's not meant for that.

The fact that you get 70 fps on the MacBook Pro screen shows that the laptop does perform really well in basic games. But on a 5K screen, come on.

It's like you bought a Yaris and you complaining it's a piece of garbage cause it can't help you move your fridge like your F-150 used to do.

TazmoStarkana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
Man, do you even know anything about GPU, discrete and integrated one ?

OF COURSE even a 2014 MacBook Pro with discrete graphic card will perform significantly faster than a 2016 MacBook Pro with an integrated GPU. Even more when you mention that the 2014 MacBook Pro drive a 4K screen and the 2016 MacBook Pro drive a 5K screen.

It's not garbage, you just assumed that the 13' MacBook Pro was good to drive games on your 5K screen, come on, it's an integrated graphic card, it's not meant for that.

The fact that you get 70 fps on the MacBook Pro screen shows that the laptop does perform really well in basic games. But on a 5K screen, come on.

It's like you bought a Yaris and you complaining it's a piece of garbage cause it can't help you move your fridge like your F-150 used to do.

My 2014 15" MBP has an iGPU so... it's overpriced garbage.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Wait a few days before returning. Both mds and mdworker are components for Spotlight. If they are using 100% cpu then Spotlight is busy indexing. It makes a big difference if you only need to index 1GB or you need to index 500GB. The former will be the case after some days of usage, the latter will be the case in the first days of any new install because there are no indexes yet.

Another thing not to do is play games on a 5k display, especially if you use the native resolution of the display. Even the higher end GPUs will have difficulty in running games. If you really want to play high end games then you shouldn't be buying the 13" MBP because the GPU isn't suited for that. The 15" MBP has a high end GPU but it remains to be seen if this is enough for modern day games. There is a reason why most gamers are using a Windows computer or a game console and only stream games with Steam to their Mac. Your old MBP is no exception to this.

Reactions: villicodelirant

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Let me put this into perspective, I'm gaming at 4K 60fps, it's a nvidia titan x pascal. If your laptop is not smooth just running the screen using the OS, get rid of it . Personally I don't like my 4K 60hz v my 1440 144hz
[doublepost=1483821674][/doublepost]
Wait a few days before returning. Both mds and mdworker are components for Spotlight. If they are using 100% cpu then Spotlight is busy indexing. It makes a big difference if you only need to index 1GB or you need to index 500GB. The former will be the case after some days of usage, the latter will be the case in the first days of any new install because there are no indexes yet.

Another thing not to do is play games on a 5k display, especially if you use the native resolution of the display. Even the higher end GPUs will have difficulty in running games. If you really want to play high end games then you shouldn't be buying the 13" MBP because the GPU isn't suited for that. The 15" MBP has a high end GPU but it remains to be seen if this is enough for modern day games. There is a reason why most gamers are using a Windows computer or a game console and only stream games with Steam to their Mac. Your old MBP is no exception to this.

The 15 does not have a high end GPU, please do not give such incorrect advice. High end GPU in laptops in 2017 is 1070 or 1080 . The GPU in the 15 is mid at best.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
This thread really needs to be updated in title. The combo is an AMAZING idea, unless you don't understand technology and think you can drive a bleeding edge monitor for gaming with a computer that's not designed for 5K gaming at high FPS.

If you buy a computer that doesn't even have a dedicated graphics card in it, why would you expect it to meet the graphics card requirements of the computer + monitor + game requirements?

I'd like my Toyota Corolla to go 0 to 60 in 3 seconds like a Porsche, but I'm intelligent enough to know I bought a Toyota, not a Porsche, so that would be an unrealistic expectation.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
The 15 does not have a high end GPU, please do not give such incorrect advice. High end GPU in laptops in 2017 is 1070 or 1080 . The GPU in the 15 is mid at best.
Then why are you giving such incorrect advice here? The GPU in the 15 is high end. Just because you don't like it or it is from AMD does not mean it is not high end. Let's not forget that a GPU today is more than just a piece of hardware that draws the graphical stuff on screen. One needs to question if a GPU from a manufacturer well known to not care about their drivers whatsoever as well as technology as 5k displays and OpenCL can still be considered to be high end. Or put differently: both AMD and Nvidia are high end, which one is high end to you depends on what you want to do with it.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Then why are you giving such incorrect advice here? The GPU in the 15 is high end. Just because you don't like it or it is from AMD does not mean it is not high end. Let's not forget that a GPU today is more than just a piece of hardware that draws the graphical stuff on screen. One needs to question if a GPU from a manufacturer well known to not care about their drivers whatsoever as well as technology as 5k displays and OpenCL can still be considered to be high end. Or put differently: both AMD and Nvidia are high end, which one is high end to you depends on what you want to do with it.

Sorry , if you do your research you will find MacBook pros have never had high end GPUs, never, always lower mid tier.

its not for you to determine what is highend, that measure has already been developed and it's based on facts and not opinions. The 460 is mid tier.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Sorry , if you do your research you will find MacBook pros have never had high end GPUs, never, always lower mid tier.
Anyone doing actual research has no problem finding MBPs with high end GPUs.

its not for you to determine what is highend, that measure has already been developed and it's based on facts and not opinions.
Exactly, so why are you basing everything on your own opinion, requirements and needs? Instead of doing that you should be basing it on facts like the ones I've brought forth. But hey, you are one of the forum trolls here so we can't possibly expect this from you. It's always talk and no evidence whatsoever.

TazmoStarkana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
LoL isn't even that high end of a game.

I play it at max setting connected to a dell 4K display and get 100+ FPS with my 2013 15 MBP iGPU.

I figured the 2016 iGPU in the 13 MBP would be better and handle the game. Even at the absolute lowest settings. It does handle it fine on the tiny 13 inch display. But I don't like gaming on such a small display.

I made the mistake of believing Apple's it just works philisophy on this one. Perhaps it will work better with the 4K LG display. But I doubt it.

My assumption was since the iGPU in my 15 MBP 2013 was able to get over 100 FPS with a 4K display maybe this newer iGPU in the 13 2016 MBP connected to a 5K even at lowest setting could give me half of that. Unfortunately I get 1/5th the performance. Making playing the game unbearable.

Even with general use connected to a 5K display using resource intensive apps like Photoshop and a few tabs open in the browser shows noticeable lag. It's hard to downgrade your experience.

This new setup is also $1000 than my 3 year old setup and I get a worse experience.

I think I didn't know what I was getting into with this 5K display.

I will wait another year or two before I try again.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
The fact that your story completely defies technology and physics, I'd say that you are misunderstanding some reading. Your story checks out with the dGPU of your machine but doesn't hold any truth with the Intel GPU. Intel GPUs are nowhere near that performant. There are too many bechmarks and reviews that back this up, not to mention the specs.

Last edited:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
So it's the 5K for sure.

I'm not entirely sure about the rest. mdworker can take a lot of cycles at the beginning. After it finishes indexing stuff, this should no longer happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.