13" Retina or 15" Retina...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bgiaach, Dec 27, 2012.

1. bgiaach macrumors member

So before you say 15" this is the deal. I'm trying to spend just around 2,600$ so I've decided that if I buy a 13" I'll up the processor to the 2.9 i7 and get a 512 ssd. Or I could spend around the same with a 15" and get 16 gb of ram a 2.6 i7 and 256 ssd. The big difference being the storage space and the discreet graphics card. I don't do a lot of graphic intensive work so the only reason I considered the 15 is mainly since the retina display demands a fast graphics card to push all those pixels. So to all those 13" retina owners, do you notice an issue with graphics or speed because you don't have that INVIDIA chip.

I don't play games on my Mac so it's really a matter of longevity of the computer.

2. jenz macrumors newbie

jenz

Yesterday I just bought the rMBP with 15", so I recommend you to get this computer.

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I recommend too because he bought one yesterday :p:p:p:p

You're not going to see a huge difference in performance by bumping processor clock speed, but you will by going from 13" to 15" simply because you have twice the processor cores.

4. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I recommend because he got one and because he is recommending and because I too have bought one and its expected to arrive tomorrow.

5. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

The problem is not the hardware, its the software that is buggy. Thats why there are reports of retina lagging, not the other way around.

go to an apple store and take a look, thats the best advise.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

For $2699 you can get the 15" RMBP with the 512GB SSD, same price as the 13" RMBP with 512GB SSD and the i7 CPU upgrade.

With the 15" you're getting quad core instead of dual core CPU, the dedicated GPU, and a bigger, higher resolution display.

7. bgiaach thread starter macrumors member

So with the 15" there really isn't any reason to bump the CPU or Ram. Just up the ssd to 512 and be done with it?

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yup. The quad core will burn through whatever you throw at it and 99% of users don't get anywhere close to needing 16GB of RAM.

9. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

My 15 rMBP with 16 ram 2.7 256 was around 2500 and I love it , plan to be using it for a long time

10. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

personally I like the 13 rMBP, this is the one I have, but I got a great deal on the price, from a chain in the UK that has now closed down. I got about £400.00 off the 256 spec, so am happy with what I got for my money. Its amazingly quick.

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yep, unless there's some specific reason why you need the higher clock rate or more memory. The 13" RMBP is already capped at 8GB RAM and the 2.3Ghz quad i7 should be much faster than the 2.9Ghz dual i7 in many tasks.

12. Rosenlicht macrumors newbie

I like the 13" rMBP better. I've tried out both. I needed a laptop. I have a desktop at home so when picking the laptop it was important that I could carry around with ease and use it daily on the go. If I was going to leave the computer at home and use it mostly for that purpose I guess I would go with a 15" rMBP.

13. inaka macrumors 6502

If you need it to be portable, get the 13".
    If you leave it at home 90% of the time, get the 15"

Not saying that the 15" isn't portable by any means, just that the 13" is more portable and better suited for travel, etc.

I just got the 13" rMBP last week and love it.

14. joshuaginter macrumors regular

I completely agree with this. I think the OP's decision comes down to portability. While the 15" is considerably thinner and lighter than previous generations, it's footprint is still quite large. The 13" is barely noticeable in your bag.

15. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

the 15" rMBP is the way to go, unless you travel all the time.

16. Livewings macrumors regular

The current rMBP 15 weights less than cMBP 13.

So I say portability of 15 rMBP is the same as the current 13 cMBP.

THERE'S NO EXCUSE.
    13 rMBP IS A TOTAL RIPOFF.

If you really want 13, get the MBA.

17. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

15 rmbp .. im seriously thinking bout returning my new imac for one

18. joshuaginter macrumors regular

While weight does play a factor into portability, your comparison between the 15" rMBP and the current 13" cMBP is unfair. The amount of room the notebook takes up in your bag and where you decide to work plays a role as well. The 15" rMBP's footprint is drastically larger than the 13" rMBP.

The 13" rMBP is hardly a ripoff for a user who needs a higher clocked processor and the ability to have ultra-portability.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

i think the 15" rMBP is great and would recommend that. I had the 13" MBP before this and found it too small for a lot of stuff I do (LightRoom, PS, etc).

20. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I recommend you get the 15 inch rMBP as well as I just bought one yesterday and love it.

21. bgiaach thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I think it's safe to say that I'll be going with a 15" rmbp. While I like the portability of the 13" I think 15 will be just fine. Heck, I'm going from a 17" mbp so anything is more portable than that.

22. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

If it's your only computer, get the 15".

If you have another desktop and want something even more portable, get the 13".

Discrete graphics won't really matter since the 15" will spend most of its time using the integrated chip anyway, unless you're using some graphics-intensive program.

Any issues with "lag" or "stuttering" are software-related and will get better over time as apple releases more patches. Contrary to what many people say, the integrated chip has more than enough power to drive the retina display for normal UI tasks.

Use the Webkit nightly build if you want a very smooth, lag-free internet experience, although even the normal Safari browser is pretty good.

23. Fultonpics macrumors member

i have both--high-end (i7, 512) 13" rmbp and a mid range 15" rmbp. the 15" is my work machine and only comes home on the weekends. the 13" is used for travel and field work (photo wire services). the 15" is CLEARLY faster when processing a large number of photoshop actions and spread sheets. So if you want a fast machine, it's an easy choice

However, I don't really notice the 13" when I travel (internationally mostly). While slightly lighter, the smaller size seems to just fit better when stuffed into bags or back packs; the 15" is a bit more awkward. My travel can be rough--remote places (helicopters, off-road, etc) so size can be important. Also, when working on airplanes the 13" is a better fit, although the 15" works if you travel business or economy-plus. both screens are great and good enough for my commercial photo stuff.

24. M Powered macrumors regular

my mbp stays in my messenger bag, needless to say it goes with me everywhere, so 13" rmbp all the way. My mbp is not meant to replace my desktop, only supplement.

25. 07dodge macrumors member

Good to hear, I'm getting mine (256GB) next Thursday. Can't wait!:D

Just curious, but why/how is the 13" Retina a "total ripoff"? I was sold on an Air until I was in the store last week and saw the 13" Retina side-by-side with the 13" Air; the top-tier Retina has a faster processor, 4GB more memory, and the same 256GB storage and graphics as the Air. So for $500 bucks I get a noticeably better screen, 4GB more memory and a faster processor (or $300 more for a nicer screen if I ordered the faster processor and extra memory). I think I can live with that.

And I'm far from a computer person, memory and graphics cards and this "discrete graphics" (whatever that is) I keep hearing about don't mean much to me; I get the higher value is often better...that's why I ask.